Home Forums Chat Forum Creating a hard stand area for car.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Creating a hard stand area for car.
  • shrinktofit
    Free Member

We have a patch in the garden that I would like to turn into a hard stand area for a car. I don’t want to spend too much time or money on it, what are my options?

It has been previously covered with sand and stones but no weed lining so now half covered with grass and muddy in places, do I need to dig it all out to start again?

I would be happy to re-lay some ballast without a lining if I could get a reasonable amount of time (say a couple of years), if I just dig off the grass and clear the worst of the mud is that likely?

ratherbeintobago

What about putting something like this down and embracing the grass?

spooky_b329

weed membrane and plastic gravel grids.

VanHalen

gravel. just ad a tonne or 2 and re-do as required. you can add gravel grids to stop rutting or rake it over occasionally.

Anything that is not tarmac will get weeds. and even tarmac will get weeds eventually. invest in some round-up and spray any weeds occasionally

ratherbeintobago

Not Roundup. Glyphosate is bad news.

ads678

Get on ebay and see if anyone is giving away a load of old slabs they’ve taken up so they can lay a fancy patio.

finephilly
    Free Member

Personally, I go way OTT on these things. Dig it out at least 50cm deep, add some big rocks, fill the gaps with sand/stones/soil. Pack it down. Then do another layer or two with smaller stones and finish with some sand and lay engineering bricks or limestone pavers on top.

VanHalen

‘Not Roundup. Glyphosate is bad news.’

or your preferred weedkiller of choice! – nothing will stop weed/grass growth other than regular maintenance.

revs1972
    Free Member

Get yerself a gnarly 4X4 and embrace the mud ;)

stumpyjon

‘Not Roundup. Glyphosate is bad news.’

Allegedly, it’s got a bad press because a lot of the conspiracy nuts have got into.  It’s a he’ll of a lot better than the weed killers it replaced. Unless you plan to drink it or bathe in it there’s not really an issue. It’s in the same may cause cancer category as bacon, burnt toast and coffee.

As others have said relay the gravel, a weed membrane will help but ultimately whack it with decent weed killer, ie roundup a couple of times a year. Only needs applying to any visible weeds, spraying the stone is a waste as it breaks down very quickly and he no residual weed killer effects.

shrinktofit
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Will keeping on top of the weeds and grass stop the mud problem? I assume the neglected weeds bring the soil up through the stone too

Sandwich

You’ll need planning permission for increased impervious surfaces on your property. I am one of the few on my street with permission for the patio installed in 2000.

stumpyjon

Keeping the weeds down will certainly help although its surprising how much gunk drops off a parked car, especially in the winter.

alpin
    Free Member

Unless you plan to drink it or bathe in it there’s not really an issue.

Tell that to the worms!

And the fishes after it leaches into the ground water.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.