Home Forums Bike Forum Creaking sound when pedaling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Creaking sound when pedaling
  • cpper
    Free Member

Something is creaking on my Cannondale while pedaling with force. It is easier to hear in low gears, when climbing. An audio clip tells it better than any literal description, so here is a recording of me climbing a steep slope: Recording
    You can hear it starting from second 7. I held my phone over the crankset.

If it matters, I run Shimano 2×11, FSA MegaExo BB, DT Swiss 350 rear hub. Drivetrain elements such as chain,chainrings,cogs, pulleys are thoroughly cleaned to look and work as new. Some months ago I cleaned and lubed the BB, chainring bolts and pedal threads. The creaking is also happening while standing, so it’s not seatpost related. Yesterday I also lubricated the rear wheel nipples(WD40) and also placed a drop of lube on the contact points between the spokes, with no results.
    Any ideas ?

nickclift
    Free Member

Can’t really get it from the audio, but If it’s more of a ‘tick’ than creak, I had this for months, really started to p1$$ me off. LBS struggled to I.d. it until they removed, cleaned and re-greased frame bearings.. TaDa… Sorted. Hope that helps.

PJ266
    Free Member

I was chasing a creak for a while, only happened when stood up and really pushing hard. After exhausting all options I took the seatpost out, cleaned it up and re-greased it. Sorted.

Must have been the flex in the frame allowing a bit of movement of the post.

cpper
    Free Member

No bearings in my Cannondale hardtail. I just read here that rear skewer or derailleur hanger bolt can cause creaks.

hardtailonly

Some months ago I cleaned and lubed the BB, chainring bolts and pedal threads.

Then it’s probably worth stripping and re-greasing the BB again, and the chainring bolts. Summer can ‘dry out’ bearings/threads a bit. Make sure it’s all torqued up correctly when you tighten everything up again.

Is there any play in the BB or pedals? If the former, maybe time to replace the BB. If the latter, you may be able to service the pedal axle/bearings.

Maybe worth checking your shoe cleats are done up tight.

Cables rattling against the frame can be an unexpected source of creaking/ticking.

There’s some suggestions to go at …

cpper
    Free Member

Tomorrow I’ll take everything apart in the crankset area, and clean+lube BB and threads.
    The bike is 10 months old, there is no noticeable play or wear in any part. I use standard (no cleats) pedals.

hardtailonly

Tomorrow I’ll take everything apart in the crankset area, and clean+lube BB and threads.

When you say ‘lube’, what do you mean? You don’t want to be squirting a load of WD40 or pouring a load of chain lube over and into the bearings … It’s definitely grease you need.

boombang
    Free Member

Had a weird creak on my road bike with 370 DT Hubs, turned out to be a bearing in the hub or freehub (not sure which as replaced them all in one go, cost about £12 and an hour of my time).

jayx2a
    Free Member

This was my creak that I chased for ages

I think mine was derailleur hanger but I had full strip down so could of been something else!

cpper
    Free Member

I found the culprit(most likely): it was the cogs digging into the freehub body, as seen in the post here. I imagine the cassette lockring wasn’t tight enough. The recommended torque is 50Nm but since I don’t have a torque wrench that big, I’ve tightened it how tight I believed was enough, last time I removed the cassette.
    At the time of removing the cassette, I’ve also greased the derailleur hanger bolt and contact surface, and the skewer, but I believe the noise came from the cassette.
    Regardless, thanks for your time, guys. Hopefully this post will help someone, someday.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Creaking sound when pedaling’ is closed to new replies.