Home Forums Bike Forum consolidation N-2+1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • consolidation N-2+1
  • alchiltern
    Free Member

I think I’d like a new bike.

I’ve a relatively nice but old carbon road bike that I used to ride a fair bit, but just can’t see myself doing many more miles on it these days.

I’ve also got a Trek Crossrip gravelly type machine, which is what I ride if not going off road, but it feels and is heavy and really not that enjoyable to ride. I could upgrade, but not feeling inclined to.

If I was after something quickish, lightish, can do a bit of touring / load lugging and handle some light tracks, where should I look? Budget, it’ll be C2W and I’m not expecting to get what I’m after for £1k.

Thanks.

chestrockwell

A Boardman of some sort if it needs to be below 1k? If you can go a little over Sunset MTB have some Orange RX9’s at a decent price and Sonder are always worth checking out. Both these assume you want a gravel bike?

nicko74

Personally I’m not sure how much of an upgrade you’d get on your Trek Crossrip for that budget as the crossrip itself apparently sells for about £850ish.

Hunting around suggests the Crossrip is about 11.5kg; my first thought would be a Ribble CGR Al for about £1.2k and about 10.5-11kg.
    I mean, if a bike’s not fun to ride it may never be fun to ride; but you could put your budget towards upgrading a few bits – wheels and tyres are the obvious first stop to possibly save a chunk of weight and give it a bit more go, maybe seatpost, saddle etc.
    If you bought a new bike around £1k you’d probably want to eventually upgrade those parts anyway.

alchiltern
    Free Member

TBH, I don’t know if I want a gravel bike or not. It’s more about understanding my options.

On the budget, no, I’d definitely expect to be spending considerably more than £1k. It was just a nod to the CR, not expecting to pay the same and get more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.