Home Forums Bike Forum Clipless shoes…. sizing?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Clipless shoes…. sizing?
  • coconut
    Free Member

Going to try clipless shoes for the first time. I ordered EU48 Specialized 2FO Clipless, they are a snug fix and would probably be fine for normal trainer sizing, but feel possibly a little small with my toe very near the end. Are clipless shoes just like Five Ten Freerider lflat pedal shoes where you want a decent bit of toe wiggle room? Do your feet move around as much as flat shoes on pins.

dc1988

I like mine snug but aren’t the 2FO more trainer style than traditional SPD style shoes? Most SPD shoes have ratchets or velcro meaning you can do them up quite tight and stop any unwanted foot movement.

frankconway
    Free Member

Personal experience only – SPDs are, generally, true to size; it’s decades since I’ve used flats so cannot offer any meaningful comparison.
    For reference, Lake shoes for spring/summer/autumn and Northwave boots for winter.
    SPD-SL always, IMO, size up small – anything upto 1.5 UK sizes smaller.

coconut
    Free Member

If I remove the inner sole there is a bit more wiggle room. I’m too used to flat pedal shoes where you need a 1/2 size bigger as your toes tend to move around a lot, not sure this is so true with clipless as you are locked on the pedals ?

rOcKeTdOg

I buy my usual shoe size but then I also do that for flat pedal shoes. Never heard of going half size up because it’s not clip in before.

scotroutes

^^^ this.

Shoe size varies according to manufacturer and model but no different from buying any other kind of shoe in that regard.

mert
    Free Member

I’m too used to flat pedal shoes where you need a 1/2 size bigger as your toes tend to move around a lot, not sure this is so true with clipless as you are locked on the pedals ?

So, what you’re saying is that you usually walk round in shoes that are half a size too small?

matt_outandabout

It’s all brand or even model dependent.

I’ve got a pair of summer Shimano SPD’s in 44 – and I’ve worn Shimano 44 for 20+ years (plus a pair of winter Shimano MW5 winter boots in 45 for thicker socks).

Ordered a pair of new Shimano shoes in 44 – too short!

I am now sporting a pair of Specialized Recon’s that are a great fit, sightly wider forefoot and a 44…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.