Home Forums Chat Forum Cinnamon rolls/buns

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Cinnamon rolls/buns
  • molgrips
    Free Member

A good cinnamon roll is a wonderful thing, one of the highlights of the whole world in fact, but not easy to find. The Lidl ones taste alright but the texture is pretty fake; Asda now do them but they don’t taste of much; and the Waitrose ones are ok but not exactly right, they don’t have the right icing on.

The ones from Starbucks in the rest of Europe are fantastic, still bready but half way to being a cinnamon Danish, however for some reason in the UK we get a sort of cinnamon Chelsea bun with orange icing on top.  Not bad, but not really a cinnamon roll.  So really it has to be home made, which is a bit of a faff.

Where do you get yours?

eatmorepizza
    Free Member

Cinnamon Swirl or Cinnamon bun? I’ve always liked the ones from asda, morrisons do an okay cinnamon swirl but best are home made.

weeksy

Waitrose baked products are generally the best supermarket ones IMO.

hightensionline

I can’t tell you where I source them, because then you’ll all want one. They’re like crack; a bit moreish.

Cinnabon are interesting, in the total overload of frosting sense. There are a few Asda’s with their concessions in.

ElShalimo

We use a local bakery (Triangle Bakehouse) but have ditched cinnamon buns for cardamom buns.

grahamt1980

Ah kanelbullar, an awesome import from Sweden.

The m&s ones are the best i have found,  gails are way too buttery/fatty and are also insanely expensive

willard

I should send some pictures of the kanelbullar at my old local bakery, you all would drool to death. Sadly, we left town and I now have to rely on my GF to make them. Luckily they are _almost_ as good as the ones we used to be able to get. We are still trying to work out what the traditional way of making them is, the rolled sort, or the plaited/flat type.

Also: Kardemumma = Good. Kanel = Better.

If you really need a fix, Ikea do them here by the bag. They are not amazing, but they are better than nothing.

hightensionline

What was I thinking looking at this thread. That’s all I’ll be thinking about now for days.

longdog
    Free Member

A place in dunkeld does awesome ones and cardamom buns too. My wife forces me to do a pilgrimage there once in a while. A Swedish place in Edinburgh is great too.

The best one she’s ever had is when we were in Norway. Nothing else has come close in her quest so far.

She’s tried making her own to various recipes,but again the fall short of her Norwegian ideal. I think she’s just romancing about them, as to me they’re all ok, but not something I get excited about.

Now talk to me about pies….

matt_outandabout

Waitrose baked products are generally the best supermarket ones IMO.

This.
    And I even have a son who is the baker at our Tesco…ahem.

jonnyrobertson

As Willard said, IKEA is the place to go for a “proper” Kanelbullar, with cardamom in. Cooking instructions seem a bit off, we cook for longer at a lower temperature and they come out great.  An occasional weekend breakfast treat for the family. The kids prefer the IKEA ones to any of the other ones you can get anywhere else but I’ll eat anything that claims to be a cinnamon bun.</p>

prettygreenparrot

Cardamom buns are delicious.

Cinnamon buns also, but all that frosting!

BadlyWiredDog

The last one I had was at the Little Fika cafe in Whaley Bridge. It’s a Swedish-inspired coffee house and very good.

simon_g

This is how I use up leftover pizza dough. Roll it out, whizz together some butter, sugar, cinnamon – spread over, roll it up, cut into slices, into the oven for 20 mins or so.

willard

Right, I’m going to go and find a very specific book for you lot in the GF’s cookbook shelf. It contains _the_ classic recipe for kanelbullar.

back in a jiffy.

longdog
    Free Member

My wife is following this thread through me now 😂 Awaits the recipe!

z1ppy

Anywhere near Ludlow or Shrewsbury? My favourite cafes, CSON’s (both locations) & the artesian bakers, in the middle of Shrewsbury do ones to die for. Theirs are more flaky pastry than dough.

I make my own (dough based) very occasionally but it’s a faff, & so ridiculously calorific, it’s not good for any one’s health, will see whose recipe I use..

willard

Right…

Vetebullar (grunddeg)
    150 g margarin eller smör
    5 di miölk
    50 g jäst
    ½ tsk salt
    1-1 ½ di socker
    1 ½ tsk kardemummakärnor eller 2 tsk malen kardemumma
    ca 1,3 liter vetemiöl

Smält matfettet i en kastrull. Häll i mjöl-ken. Varm tills alltsammans är ljummet, ca 37°C.
    Lös upp jästen i degbunken i lite av deg-spadet. Tillsätt resten av spadet och sedan salt, socker, nystött eller malen karde-mumma och drygt ⅔ av mjölet.
    Arbeta degen sa att den blir blank och smidig. Tillsätt ytterligare möl men spar
    1-2 di till utbakningen. Degen är färdigar-betad när den släpper degbunkens kanter.
    Strö lite möl över vtan sa att den inte tor-kar. Täck med bakduk. Ställ degen drag-fritt. Jäs den till dubbel storlek.
    Arbeta degen nagra minuter i bunken.
    Stjälp upp den pa mjölat bakbord. Knada i resten av mölet. Degen är färdigknadad när den släpper bakbord och händer. Skär man ett snitt i degen, ska den ha jämn po-right. Är den storbläsig, har man knadat för lite. Baka ut degen till bullar, se resp recept.

Now, that’s the “generic” wheat bun recipe and can be modified for just about any type of sweet bun/bulle/you name it.

She generally gets the good kanel, mixes it with butter and sugar and then paints it onto a flat-rolled thin layer of that dough, sprinkles more kanel over that, then rolls it up and cuts into sections before letting it prove and baking with a milk wash and pärlsocker over the top.

The book is “Sju Sorters Kakor” and is _the_ definitive book on cakes, cookies, buns, etc. Worth learning Swedish for.

willard

As an alternative, I found this recipe somewhere on the internet when I first moved here and it also works well. It’s the reason we have two different types of flour in the pantry:

Kanelbulle

Dough
    • 100g butter
    • 250ml milk
    • 1 tbsp honey (mild)
    • 1 egg
    • 500g Manitoba Cream
    • 1 & 1/2tsp ground cardamom seeds
    • 1tsp salt
    • 7g yeast that works
    Filling
    • 100g light brown muscavado sugar
    • 6tbsp decent ground cinnamon
    • 60g very soft butter

Method
    • Put the butter, milk and honey into a small saucepan and heat gently until melted (melt the butter first, then add the milk and honey). Leave to cool slightly before beating in the egg. Mix the flour, cardamom and salt together well. Add the dried yeast and mix thoroughly.
    • Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to form a rough dough. Knead for 5-10minutes until soft and elastic. Put the dough in a large, greased bowl and leave to rise until doubled in size (1-1.5hrs).
    • Roll the dough into a large rectangle. Thin the edges.
    • Mix the sugar, cinnamon and butter together to make the filling mixture. If it isn’t coming together very easily put it in the microwave for 10seconds to soften the butter further. Spread the filling mixture evenly over the dough, making sure it reaches right into the edges.
    • Shape the rolls as wanted. Put the buns on a greased tray and cover with a tea towel/clingfilm and leave to rise until doubled in size (45min-1hr).
    • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Brush the risen buns with beaten egg and sprinkle with parlsocker before baking for 20-30minutes (depending on the size of the buns).

dc1988

I don’t know the exact name for them but I like ones based on a more croissant style pastry/dough. Pump Street bakery in Orford do a fantastic one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah I forgot about the IKEA kanelbullar.  Finnish korvapuusti are similar but on their side.  It means ‘slapped ear’ apparently.

That style has more fat and sugar, I think ends up more crunchy and sticky than the more bready kind.

z1ppy

I’m not sure Google translate can quite handle that recipe.. shovels & mothballs?

Wheat buns (basic dough)
    150 g margarine or butter
    5 di miolk
    50 g of yeast
    ½ tsp salt
    1-1 ½ teaspoons of sugar
    1 ½ tsp cardamom seeds or 2 tsp ground cardamom
    approx. 1.3 liters of wheat beer

Melt the shortening in a pan. Pour in the milk. Warm until everything is lukewarm, about 37°C.
    Dissolve the yeast in the dough bowl in a little of the dough scoop. Add the rest of the shovel and then salt, sugar, freshly ground or ground cardamom and about ⅔ of the flour.
    Work the dough until it is shiny and smooth. Add additional moth but spare
    1-2 di to the baking. The dough is ready-baked when it leaves the edges of the dough bowl.
    Sprinkle some mothballs over the water so it doesn’t dry out. Cover with a baking sheet. Set the dough draft-free. Let rise until doubled in size.
    Work the dough for a few minutes in the bowl.
    Turn it upside down on a floured board. Knead in the rest of the flour. The dough is finished kneading when it releases from the backboard and hands. If you cut an incision in the dough, it should have an even po-right. If it is puffy, you have kneaded too little. Roll out the dough for buns, see the respective recipe.

willard

Ah yes, maybe the OCR on my phone was a little sensitive…

• di == decilitres
    • Miolk == mjölk/milk
    • vetemiöl == vetemjöl/wheat flour
    • tsk == tesked/teaspoon

I think that “moth” is translate suggesting flour (mjöl) and not a flying insect. This is, after all, a sweet bun, not a meat pie. The recipe is also using mjöl to prevent drying out of the dough and for lining the baking tray. I really should translate the whole thing properly for people…

longdog
    Free Member

Ah, so Manitoba cream is a strong (bread) flour. I did wonder where the flour was in that recipe 😂

Drac

Greggs.

longdog
    Free Member

I really should translate the whole thing properly for people…

Yes please 😁

alexpalacefan

Anyone in Lancaster?
    Get to Filbert’s Bakery on a Saturday morning (be early because they always sell out).
    Best cinnamon buns in the world (and I include Sweden) and there’s even a (not quite as good) vegan option.

Do it, you won’t be disappointed.

APF (does this post have too many brackets in it?)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Immediately prior to opening this thread I was sitting in my hotel room debating what to do with the rather wet rainy day in Copenhagen I find my self with.

Now I shall be mostly eating cinnamon buns from various bakeries. I’ll report back if I’m not sick.

willard

@dangeourbrain My sister has reported that the pastry game in Copenhagen is very good. As a public service, I suggest you validate this information for us.

zilog6128

immediately prior to opening this thread I was sitting in my hotel room debating what to do with the rather wet rainy day in Copenhagen I find my self with.

@dangeourbrain I was there a few weeks ago, my recommendation would be Rug – the most amazing pastry I’ve ever had in my life! You can sit at the counter & watch the chefs prep them which is cool! V good coffee also.

for the OP, stop messing around with Lidl/Asda would be my recommendation & find a proper bakery.

sam_underhill

I’m rather partial to a Gail’s cinnamon bun, but they are just in the SE UK I think.

z1ppy

Don’t diss the Lidl, for cheap but reasonable fresh baked good, as they’re not terrible & can be found in most (medium sized) towns, unlike good bakers. Their bite sized pizzas are better than many shop bought sandwiches, but no their Cinnabun’s aren’t fantastic

squirrelking
    Free Member

Now I shall be mostly eating cinnamon buns from various bakeries. I’ll report back if I’m not sick.

If you need to finish the job a visit to Tivoli Gardens will sort that.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about getting frisky with CinnamonGirl and her bottom.

johndoh
    Free Member

I love these ones

longdog
    Free Member

Inspired to earn some bollan points with Mrs L I’ve just cycled 14mile rou d trip to the nearest Lidls…. There were none there! 😭😂

I did have one of their pizzas before the return trip 😋

impatientbull

In Oxford, Hamblin on Iffley Road do excellent cinnamon (and cardamom) buns and Proof Social Bakehoue in Kennington do great cinnamon rolls, which are also sometimes available at other Tap Social venues in town.

Sandwich

@prettygreenparrot The Scandi cinnamon buns usually have no frosting, that’s some N.American or Anglo-Saxon bastardisation of them.

I’ve used a version of this for my cinnamon buns (perfect for your fika needs) https://sweden.se/culture/food/cinnamon-buns

This one for the cardamon buns https://swedishfood.com/swedish-food-recipes-biscuits-cakes/509-cardamom-buns?expand_article=1

Note the comments about there being loads of different equally good recipes for Cinnamon and that Cardamon buns are twisted not rolled.

juanking

Anyone in North Wales/Llanberis looking for a bun fix head to Caffi Fran, thank me later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.