Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Christine McVie…
  • desperatebicycle
    fazzini

RIP

welshfarmer

🙁

very sad news.

chipster

RIP

MoreCashThanDash

Hadn’t realised her age. Quite a life lived.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

RIP, what a song writer, what a voice.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Bugger!

I figured she was in her 70’s but never 79.

Greybeard
    Free Member

She made the first item on Radio 4 9pm news this evening – quite some recognition. RIP

chewkw
    Free Member

RIP Christine McVie.

welshfarmer

Trevor Nelson joist pointed out that “The Dance” concert is available on I-player

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014bg7/fleetwood-mac-the-dance

A little more intimate than when I saw them play to 80K in the old Wembley Stadium.

CountZero

Very sad news, a very talented musician, singer and songwriter, but very private. She just walked away from the madness for nearly twenty years, but rejoined after being invited to guest at a concert, and realised it could be fun.
    Fortunate enough to have seen the Mac twice, once back in ‘88, IIRC, after Buckingham left, and again several years back at the 2015 IoW Festival with the original Rumours line-up very shortly after she rejoined, and it was a superb performance, just seeing Christine and Stevie singing together, and the clear rapport and love they had.
    RIP Songbird. 😢

alpin
    Free Member

You would’ve though, wouldn’t you…. 😉

One of those bands that you think”Iknow this song”but didn’t always know why.

Interesting life.

kelvin

I’ve never heard Radio4 play a whole song before. That was beautiful.

IHN

RIP, a great songwriter of some memorably classic tunes

several years back at the 2015 IoW Festival with the original Rumours line-up very shortly after she rejoined, and it was a superb performance, just seeing Christine and Stevie singing together, and the clear rapport and love they had.

We saw them in 2013 (maybe 2014) on that same tour when the original line-up were all there. Gotta say, it was one of the worst gigs I’ve ever been to. It started well with The Chain, then quickly disappeared up it’s own jacksie. At one point I was bored with the ten minute story Stevie Nicks was telling about some tape she’d lost and then found again so decided to go to the loo, returned at least 15 minutes later after eventually finding the loo in the bowels (forgive the pun) of the MEN Arena and she was still telling it…

They finished with Don’t Stop and Go Your Own Way, keeping in time with each other (or not) like your average school band. It was, in short, crap.

tewit
    Free Member

I’ve never heard Radio4 play a whole song before. That was beautiful.

Yeah. Was very dusty in the car driving back from the school run.😃

Pyro

Very sad, another great musician. I hadn’t realised she was Cumbrian, and probably the only famous person ever to come from Bouth…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

RIP. Bouth’s greatest export since gunpowder

All the worlds greatest people are from Cumbria. Melvyn Bragg, Haile Selassie, me.

BoardinBob

Remarkable innings given how much she “enjoyed” the 70s. Wonderful songwriter and artist.

It’s been eye opening on twitter seeing the amount of people upset that she’s the FIRST member of Fleetwood Mac to pass away😂

scotroutes

she’s the FIRST member of Fleetwood Mac to pass away

Fake news.

Bob Brunning.

Peter Green

simondbarnes

Fake news

Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch & Bob Weston too

There was an excellent documentary I saw possibly earlier this year about Christine. Can’t see it on iplayer now though. Such a wonderful musician.

desperatebicycle

The actual quote from the poster, bafflingly corrected :/

It’s been eye opening on twitter seeing the amount of people upset that she’s the FIRST member of Fleetwood Mac to pass away😂

MrSmith
    Free Member

She was great in lots of ways, her voice, her songs but i liked her attitude too which came across in the various documentaries on the band over the years.
    RIP

slowoldman

Chicken Shack

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sad news, however I’m genuinely surprised any of them are still alive. Apparently when bored one day they worked out that between then, if you lined up all the coke they’d taken, it would reach 7 miles😳

Definitely a life lived to the full!

IdleJon

several years back at the 2015 IoW Festival with the original Rumours line-up very shortly after she rejoined, and it was a superb performance, just seeing Christine and Stevie singing together, and the clear rapport and love they had.

We saw them in 2013 (maybe 2014) on that same tour when the original line-up were all there. Gotta say, it was one of the worst gigs I’ve ever been to.

I saw them at Wembley in 1990, supported by Jethro Tull, Hall and Oates and River City People. Tickets had been significantly reduced and I loved Tull (still do) so it seemed rude not to go.

Hall and Oates were poor. Tull were ok but the audience didn’t quite get them. FM were technically good, but sooooo rehearsed that it felt like something was missing – engagement with the crowd, or something. Even Mick Fleetwood’s ‘spontaneous’ drum solo was identical to the gig that was aired on the radio the week after. At around the same period I saw Rod Stewart (with Status Quo and Joe Cocker supporting) and that was by far the better gig despite not actually being a fan of any of the acts.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Two programmes related to McVie starting at 2100 tonight on bbc4, if I caught the ad right after the football.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.