Home Forums Bike Forum Chasing an annoying rattle…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Chasing an annoying rattle…
  • TomZesty

My Stumpy has got a really annoying rattle when going fast over repeated rough terrain (rock gardens / stutter bumps mainly). It is definitely from the rear end.

Things I’ve checked:

All bolts are done up correctly (plus it’s the last model Stumpjumper with the flex stay suspension so not that many bolts to check!)

Brakes – they are the infamous rattling shimano slx, BUT the rattle remains even if I pull the back brake. I suppose the only way to fully be sure is to remove the rear pads and give it a ride, but given it only happens when going fast over rough terrain I’m a bit apprehensive of doing so.

The clutch on the mech – thats what I first thought it was but it’s fine and working as it should.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

submarined
    Free Member

I’d be checking cables and shock bushings.

thepurist

Cassette fully tight?

TomZesty

I’ll check the cassette, good point.

Don’t think it’s the cables although I’ve only had a cursory check – it’s internally routed.

I’m pretty certain it’s from right at the back of the bike, but would be willing to check the shock bushings – except I don’t know how?

oikeith

I chased a rattle for ages and replaced all the bearings in my frame only for it to turn out it was my rear  floating rotor which had developed play…

matt_outandabout

Internal routed cables can be a pain for rattles – my Marin and sons older Stumpy Fatty are/were pains for rattles this way.

TomZesty

I’ll definitely try the cheaper simple things first – doubt it’s my bearings given its usage.
    I’ll check the rotor too to make sure that’s tight.

dafoj
    Free Member

Any loose spokes?

matt_outandabout

Your teeth ;-)

pothead
    Free Member

Internal routed cables can be a pain for rattles

The gear cable and brake hose on my Hightower have a foam tube around them inside the rear end of the frame to stop rattling, not sure if specialized do similar but if not I wouldn’t be surprised if thats where the noise is coming from

TomZesty

@pothead – I’m not sure but I hope not as not sure how I’d sort that!

@matt
    – haha think you’ve cracked it!

scruff
    Free Member

Older Fox float internals can rattle, known issue solved by getting a different shock.

TomZesty

It’s a newish fox dps shock, and I’m fairly confident the rattle is from right at the rear of the bike, so hopefully can rule that out!

jonba
    Free Member

Dropper post/Saddle?

My chain still rattles a bit when I’m in the little sprockets at the rear – there’s a bit of slack and the the chain starts off close to the chainstay.

valve stem? Less likely with tubeless…

TomZesty

Guess I’ll just note down all the suggestions on here and work my way through them. Hopefully will be pads or cassette not quite right as easy to check and sort.

bikerevivesheffield

Clatter

Rattle

Metallic

What sort of sound

chakaping

Cassette fully tight?

This was the culprit on my latest rattle/creak.

TomZesty

Rattle is the best way to describe it. Think it will either be the slx brake pads, the cassette or maybe the internal routing – but apparently this is really uncommon having checked on the Specialized forum on mtbr.

just need time to check through the suggestions above, but haven’t had it yet! Got a hardtail being delivered today so I could always just ride that instead!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.