Home Forums Bike Forum Chain silencers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chain silencers
  • andydunne12
    Free Member

Anyone running chain silencers here to eliminate chain slap and rub?
    I see STFU and chaintamer are 2 of the most popular brands.
    Anyone have any experience with these?

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve run a stfu on my Slash for the last 4 months or so. If I’m honest, can’t say it made a blind bit of difference. But, it was a quiet bike for chainslap anyway. Never dropped a chain and never had any drag or weird noises.
    If your bike is excessively noisy, then I can see it doing some good with no downside other than looks.

roger_mellie

Do these things work with multiple front chain rings? Asking for a friend who’s running 3×9. Long cage derailleur, which I understand Shimano didn’t make a clutch derailleur for. Chain slap is driving me, I mean him, a bit potty.

Soz for the thread derailment ;-)

andydunne12
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up mate.
    I will hold off getting one for now, see how the slap is with the chainstay tapped over

mashr

Long cage derailleur, which I understand Shimano didn’t make a clutch derailleur for

It’s an easy budge to make a 10sp mech work with 9sp though, just needs a wee spacer where you clamp the cable. A quick Google should show how to do it

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Most of the noise comes from the chainstay protector Being too hard a rubber or even a plastic IME.

Any bike with a newer style raised/ribbed protector seems to be much better & a whole lot quieter. It’s an easy fix if you don’t – a small box of Sugru and you can mould them up & stick them on top – virtually eliminated all noise.

roger_mellie

Cheers @mashr I’ll take a look 👍

SirHC

If you are running a Sram Eagle mech, chances are that will be the main source of the noise. The clutch on them is pretty weak from the start and reduces through use. Shimano 12spd works perfect and added bonus of the mech not sticking out as far.

Dont forget to protect the seat stay as well, chain will often bounce up and clatter into that as well.

oikeith

I’ve seen the STFU used by pros on their DH and Enduro bikes, you also have Eddie Masters VHS tape both are currently in my garage, was planning to try them on my old noisy bike, ended up with a new bike for diff reasons which came with a ribbed chainstay protector.

Will try each next year, looking at each of them when they arrived, I could see them both working well, I think the STFU might have the edge as it contains the chain, the VHS tape you trim and apply where you need it, which would be both CS and SS IMO.

EDIT: Both arrived fine via international shipping with no issues

chakaping

Most of the noise comes from the chainstay protector Being too hard a rubber or even a plastic IME.

I’ve noticed that using mastic tape is much quieter than a lot of factory-issue chainstay protectors. Haven’t even needed to rib them for pleasure.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ve not bought it yet, and I’ve just added a DyedBro kit that includes chainstay protector which isn’t gonna help silence anything, but this is what I was linked to on another thread and seems to be the best at this.

https://uk.farnell.com/3m/2228-50mm/electrical-insultape-epr-3-05mx50/dp/1825481?ost=3M++2228+50mm

andydunne12
    Free Member

I felt a bit greedy coming upto Christmas so went and bought a set from STFU.
    Remy Metailler has a 15% discount code with STFU. The code is on his Instagram page, helps me to justify buying it😁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chain silencers’ is closed to new replies.