Home Forums Chat Forum Cassette bouquet

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cassette bouquet
  • funnyoldgirl
    Free Member

I have a strange request, we are due to get married next year (yay) we are a very non traditional couple, we are ditching the speeches, sit down food etc. Obviously big fan of bikes and what I was thinking of doing if possible is to bend each cog round of a cassette so the small cog is on top and paint it to be my bouquet (I’m not fussed by actual flowers) is this possible? I know cogs bend by themselves when you don’t want it.
    Would anyone be able to best advise how I would go about it? I assuming blow torch to heat it up and hit with a hammer type job
    Cheers you legends

robbo1234biking
    Free Member

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/back-from-the-dead-christmas-special/

You want to speak to this guy (@down_and_across). He seems to do a lot of stuff with old bike parts so may be able to help you out.

funnyoldgirl
    Free Member

OK thanks, I will look into it. Cheers

stumpy01

I think it could be done, but you’d probably want a cassette that doesn’t have it’s own spider, rather than one where all the cogs are joined together. I think they would be too close together for a good effect.
    You would then need something to hold them all together again once they have been formed & painted.

Or you could split a cassette & form the individual cogs into flower shapes by curling the edges up, perhaps cutting in from the sides towards the centre, so you have sections (petals) and then using wire or some other ‘stem’ painted or covered in something green to make the stems.

It sounds like a great project & something that would be right up worldclassaccident’s street…..

Underhill
    Free Member

I saw the thread title and first thing that came to mind was “Are you bored enough to watch me make…?”

Aidy
    Free Member

Might be slightly lethal to launch through the air?

JAG

Yeah – I wouldn’t encourage anyone to try and catch this ‘bouquet’ :o)

JAG

I think Stumpy01 has the basics sorted.

Remove the cogs from the original spider, bend them to shape (in a press or with a flame/hammer) then re-assemble to resemble a flower.

How many of these ‘flowers’ will you want for the bouquet?

One or many??

funnyoldgirl
    Free Member

I don’t plan on lobbing as per normal situations as it would not end well for someone ha.
    I was only planning on one, figured a big cassette 11/12 speed should provide a big enough flower thing to hold.
    Good thinking on the spider, will see how it goes…..need to find an old cassette now to play with before trying the proper one.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I saw the thread title and first thing that came to mind was “Are you bored enough to watch me make…?”

I will have a look in the garage and see if I have an old cassette I can butcher for this purpose – are you okay if it is not a 12 speed?

If I do, and I can, then I will send it to you for your wedding – or at least to use as an example to get someone else to do more nicely.

phil5556

I’m pretty sure I’ve still got a worn but still looks pretty good GX 11 speed if you need a cassette to play with.

mick_r

Cassette sprockets are heat treated so tend to crack if you try and bend them. Probably need to heat them up with a blowtorch first and let them cool slowly to make them softer (or bend when hot).

Will probably then need to get blasted and painted as they will be a bit scabby after playing with fire :-)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I just had a quick check and on the cassette I have the cogs are pinned together too close to the edge to bend them round nicely. All that will happen is the spikes of the cogs will point forward.

I will have a play with the angle grinder, blow torch and welder at the weekend and see if anything vaguely pretty occurs

sadmadalan

@worldclassaccident – do post a picture of the results?

martinhutch

I was expecting something about the smell of an old Maxell C90.

PS Maybe do it with rotors? Made out of just about the bendiest substance known to man, if mine are anything to go by.

temudgin

I remember making flowers at school from wire and coloured tissue paper.
    Maybe reuse some brake/gear cables?

bearnecessities

@worldclassaccident – do post a picture of the results?

Yes, please do! This has got your name all over it – and I am bored enough.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A quick google shows these flowers which are a bit shit

But I quite like this wheel as an idea. Perhaps done in a small wheel so it can be held and then the wire as a flower bouquet rather than a tree. After the wedding you can hand it on the wall – or leave it by the bin on a Thursday for the nice men to take away.

Rich_s

What an intriguing idea. There used to be such a thing as aluminium cassettes bitd – any of those kicking about?

simian
    Free Member

could you do a quick sketch of what you’re thinking of? I may be able to help.

tjagain

This appeals to me as well,.  I will have a search of the spares box and see what I can find and if I can do anything with it that looks vaguely nice

a11y

Lovely idea on the bouquet.

I’ve had a clock made from the first disc rotor I bought (original Hope M4) on my kitchen wall for 15+ years – it’s nice having personal things.

down_and_across

I’d be happy to help! Got loads of pre chopped up cassettes left over from Christmas trees and scraps of just about any other flavour of bike part in our recycling! Give us a call at the shop on 01422 836 860

funnyoldgirl
    Free Member

Wow, you guys are the best :) thought my idea would get laughed at haha. Only thought about 12 speed as it was bigger for bending around as this is not my area of expertise so was trying to make it easier for myself. Look forward to seeing how yours goes, fingers crossed :D

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Wow, I shall step back and let those with the spare parts to hand complete the mission. Good luck to all!

simian
    Free Member

Metal flowers can be epic. Here’s one I made earlier.

Rose by Simian[/url], on Flickr

cassette sprockets will be a bugger to work with – you will need plenty of heat to move them properly.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cassette bouquet’ is closed to new replies.