Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Carrera bikes.
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

How long are they meant to last?How long have you made one last.Mine still going strong after 3 years.

Northwind

I got one of mine in 1991.

mboy
    Free Member

You’ll be needing these…

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks for your contribution mboy.I should have asked about cars.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I had a Fury for a year and it was good as new when I sold it. Solid bikes i.m.o.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Got a souped up Kraken, had for 2 years, great bike. Not getting rid till it snaps, which it wont do.

mboy
    Free Member

Thanks for your contribution mboy.I should have asked about cars.

Not being funny, but even if you’re new to the sport, it was a silly question that deserved a tongue in cheek answer!

Bikes are like anything else in the world, look after them and they will last a long time. Don’t, and they won’t… Simple really!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What so a Carrera Vulcan is designed and built to last as long as an Indian Fire Trail.I very much doubt that.Just wondering if Halfords had done any calculations about how long there bikes.tend to last.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

bought a vanquish road bike in 2005. Still going strong, albeit with new wheels.

I’m pretty sure the frame is a Merida “road ride” model with a Halfords spray job.. Built it to last IMO.

Northwind

Individual budget components will tend to last less well than higher quality ones. But then not all Carreras come with budget components attached.

And regardless of that, they’re just components, they’re not the bike. (and they’re not carrera components either- an XCR on a Kraken will last as long as an XCR on a £700 Rockhopper.

cakefacesmallblock

Took me 12 years not to totally destroy a Furnace, but all that was left of the original was frame and seat post.

thomthumb
    Free Member

5 yr warranty on alu & lifetime on steel innit?

butcher

What so a Carrera Vulcan is designed and built to last as long as an Indian Fire Trail.I very much doubt that.Just wondering if Halfords had done any calculations about how long there bikes.tend to last.

Carrera frames I’m told used to be built by Merida, who supply a number of big names. Though I’ve heard they changed this, but whichever way you look at it, they’re very well put together and there’s no reason they shouldn’t last as long as anything else.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Frames dont get a very long guarantee for a start.

Northwind

Yep, my 21 year old one is way out of warranty, which is quite a worry.

2 years isn’t short- it’s the same as you get on a £1700 Orange Alpine, frinstance. But also, it’s not a useful indication of lifespan.

PJM1974
    Free Member

What so a Carrera Vulcan is designed and built to last as long as an Indian Fire Trail

Not a lot of people know this, but Carrera frames are built in the same Taiwanese factories that churn out a lot of kit for certain high end brands like Specialized for example.

Just because they’re sold in Halfrauds doesn’t automatically make them rubbish.

mboy
    Free Member

What so a Carrera Vulcan is designed and built to last as long as an Indian Fire Trail.I very much doubt that.Just wondering if Halfords had done any calculations about how long there bikes.tend to last

Judging by the amount of high end, high price tag frames that keep appearing on this frame, cracked and beyond repair, and often either just out of (a short) warranty, or the damage isn’t covered by the warranty, often cheap(er) mass manufactured frames and (some) components may well last longer!

Carrera’s are pretty good bikes, don’t let the Halfords connection lead you astray. When you spend more money, what you’re generally getting is lighter weight, possibly better performance (suspension forks, disc brakes etc.), and that’s about it normally. A cheaper bike hasn’t been designed to wear out faster than a more expensive one. Besides which, as has been stated before, it’s the components that will wear, not the frame itself, and on a bike everything is replaceable. In fact, often cheaper components can last longer… Case in point is Deore chainrings which are made from Steel, Vs XT chainrings made from aluminium alloy (though the middle is now reinforced to last longer).

Carrera frames are, or were, made in the same factory as Giant and Specialized frames. I bought a cheap 2nd hand Carrera Kraken for my ex GF when we were still going out, 2009 model iirc. Weighed it in at 32lb stock. Started stripping off the heavy (yet durable) kit, and eventually got down to a bare frame. I was shocked at how good the quality of the frame was, it was way better than I was expecting. I also weighed the bare frame, it was a tad under 4lb! That again really surprised me considering the overall weight of the bike. OK, so Carrera used cheap/heavy wheels and finishing kit to keep the overall cost of the bike down, but underneath was a surprisingly good quality frame. In the end, I sold off almost everything that came on the bike as standard, and spent a month sniping nice bits on the classifieds for cheap on here, or on ebay, and for £350 all up in the end I built her a 27lb hardtail, with Fox TALAS forks in real good nick, 27spd SLX/Truvativ, Answer carbon bars, FSA Stem/seatpost, lighter wheels off a high end Specialized full sus etc. She still rides it today, and even with all that kit on it, the frame is still not the weak link.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What mboy said.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mboy + 2

I had a Subway. Not flash, not fast, not cool. But I doubt it’d EVER break!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Carrera frames I’m told used to be built by Merida, who supply a number of big names. Though I’ve heard they changed this

Paul D of this forum rides (Very quickly) a Merida made Carerra. It actually has ‘Merida’ stamped on the dropouts.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Trigger’s broom…. etc

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Carrera bikes.’ is closed to new replies.