Home Forums Chat Forum Career change – 30s

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Career change – 30s
  • craig24
    Free Member

Seen and read a lot of these topics on here. In my early 30s and have worked in IT for over 10 years and slowly realizing it isn’t for me, no real interest in tech.

Considering a course / possible pay cut and apprenticeship route into bench joinery / cabinet maker.

Anyone done similar? Can advise either way? Not sure if its a bad move as being in a trade of sorts as I get older may be a regret compared to a comfortable office (that I’m sick of at the moment)

jimdubleyou

Not jumped from IT per se, but I have moved more into business analysis / product ownership rather than pure development.

Have you got any domain knowledge that could get you into a more interesting job?

the-muffin-man

Most people haven’t even started a career by their early 30’s!

As for joinery – my grandad and uncle worked into their 70’s and 80’s still making window and doors. It’s a long way from being a bricky out in all weathers or plumber scrabbling around in attics.

dyna-ti

Yeah, went from meat trade to cabinet maker, and although I do like the job, I sometimes wish I’d stuck with the job I can do with my eyes closed. It is a big change.

I’d say you need a fair bit of creativity to begin with, and maybe you do if thats the thing you find yourself drawn to.
    Can you draw ?. me personally its a scrawled sketch or 10, though I can produce proper drawings if i got forced into it. Thats not been the proper attitude and it does run into probs later. Fine for everything to be a ‘prototype’ but having the idea,shape,sizes down first will save a shed load of time and a shed load of money.

Most courses are full time 2 years with a diploma, though Id recommend doing an extra year for a degree.
    Keep in mind you’re 10 years plus into any previous trade, so you are starting late and you’l need to try to cover as many aspects as possible.

craig24
    Free Member

Not really massively creative and no I can’t draw! :(

I just fancy something more hands on and not in an office all the time. Really is hard even in your 30s to know what you would like to do with your life isn’t it.

footflaps

Really is hard even in your 30s to know what you would like to do with your life isn’t it.

I don’t see how without trying everything how you’d even know!

IT / Telecoms here, it’s OK…

perchypanther
    Free Member

As my old Grandad used to say, “When one door closes, another one opens”

He was a wise man but a terrible cabinet maker

breadcrumb

My career change is a bit more subtle, fabricator to line mechanic. I’ve been a fabricator for the last 20+ years and was tired of breathing in the nasties associated with welding and cutting various metals.

I’m enjoying the role and learning new skills. Shift work now too, so 4 on 4 off, which is nice.

devash
    Free Member

I’m going to be 37 this November and since finishing uni in 2006 I have been a concrete technician, an offshore trust administrator, an academic and the manager of a wine shop. I’m currently living in Madrid teaching English.

The only thing about now is that with vivid it might be a bit harder to get into something else until the economy improves.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Not really massively creative and no I can’t draw! 🙁

I just fancy something more hands on and not in an office all the time. Really is hard even in your 30s to know what you would like to do with your life isn’t it.

I think most people in white collar jobs have thought this at some point. I think the reality is that lots of trade work is hard repetitive graft for less money than you can get for sitting in front of a PC. I have a mate who is a joiner and he spends the majority of his time putting flat pack furniture together. This being his preference having been in the trade for 20+ years and doing all sorts from shop fitting to big site contractor stuff.

sillysilly
    Free Member

If Elon Musk can go from payments to space transportation in his 30’s…

Always surprised who ends up in manual arty / workshop group classes I have joined. Full of bored tech folk on very good salaries 😂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I switched career in my 30s. Went from working in local authority to being a senior authorised engineer for the local distribution system operator working at 11kV.

I think they’re recruiting currently if you’re in Yorkshire or the north east.

You could become a jointer, that sounds a bit like joiner.

dyna-ti

So there you have it ^^ A splinter or electrocution at 11Kv :lol:

funkmasterp

I’m 43 and still have no idea what I want to do for a living. It’s definitely not what I’m doing now though.

OwenP

I think one of the usual questions that pop up on these threads is “how much of a paycut can you take and for how long, plus how much money for courses and qualifications”.

I’d also add that going back to being the most junior person / apprentice in any profession can be hard, if you aren’t setting up by yourself – being aware that you are sometimes working the hardest and being paid the least requires a fair bit of good will once the first few months novelty has worn off.

I can’t comment on joinery, I’m an ecologist – we get a fair few people looking to get outdoors, work on their passion and so on. I wouldn’t discourage them at all, but it’s a long game to the rewards really.

Joe

The cabinet making dream is one many of us share, but do bear in mind that entry level positions (…yes even after that 2 year course) are pennies, and very few people make a decent living making custom furniture out of hardwoods. It’s a tough old business, and many of the people i know who make the most beautiful furniture are hobbyists or retired.

If you’re going to go down the trade route then plumbing or electrician makes far more sense IMHO, but i appreciate it’s less romantic in the mind!

TiRed

but it’s a long game to the rewards really.

By which you really mean an actual salary, based on my friends and family.

I made the not so hard switch from academia to industry in my early 30’s, partly to support a growing family. It was really a cultural change above everything else. I’m still there in the same company. I still get paid to do science, even sat in an office.

Do something you enjoy. If it pays well, great. If it pays enough, still good. There may be some flexibility over “enough” for the greater “good”.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I did the opposite @Craig24. I did a C&G Carpentry and Joinery apprenticeship in the early 90s for 5 years when I left school then went on to work for someone. Decided it wasnt for me after a few years and I now work in IT (I always had an interest in it as a kid). Been in it a long time now so no going back. I do understand where you are coming from though. Im nearly 50 now btw.

Occasionally I dream of retirement and a garage with a lathe. I miss the practical side to it :)

If you are going to change, commit and make sure it pays.

Good luck!

Shackleton
    Free Member

A career in “IT” may be dull but is relatively safe. Why not do a cabinet making course to see how you like it and if you have the aptitude. It can then be turned into a hobby or a trade as you see fit from a position of knowlege and financial safety. Although I’m not in the woodwork business my brother and dad are and my observation is that you have to be really f’ing good (and good at getting your name known) to make a good wage from it.

Personally I love fine woodwork and do lots at home but, in the same way I decided that I didn’t want to be a mountain guide, I didn’t investigate it as a career because it would ruin a hobby.

Can you move sideways and repurpose your it skills?

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Pretty much the same as @rumbledethumps here. Always thought being a mechanic was what I wanted so went straight into it from school. Lasted 3 or 4 years before realising the reality was much different! Ended up doing a degree in IT and been there ever since, I’m 50 this year. I also sometimes think about moving back into something more practical then I remember the cold oily stinky manky times and realise IT pays well and is very comfortable and safe in comparison 😀

craig24
    Free Member

Some sound advice in here. I think I’ll look to move to another job in IT before I look at changing careers. Or stay put and try a night course as suggested as I have plenty of time at evenings.

Maybe a more hands on / practical job isn’t at great as I imagine in my head. Sitting in offices all day is comfortable but also allows my mind to wander what if.

I’ll update if I ever make a decision! Thanks

jam-bo

i like making things and doing DIY’y type stuff, building sheds etc.

I realised that everytime I learn how to make or do a new thing, for a short period of time I think I could do this instead of the fairly cerebral 90% office job that I have. and then I realise I’d probably have to work twice as long & twice as hard for half the money.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Career change – 30s’ is closed to new replies.