Home Forums Bike Forum Carbon fork bungs… reuseable?

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by csb.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Carbon fork bungs… reuseable?
  • Stablebarns
    Free Member

Got my Selcof forks from PX…. no bung. This may be normal, but I couldn’t have tried much harder to make sure I got what I needed. So now I have to wait until next week to get a bung posted at an extra £14.

So meanwhile, is it possible to borrow the bung from my road bike? The steerer tube and headset are also tapered 1-1/8th 1-1/2?

There seem to be lots of types of bungs available, but what is the difference? Some say they work with any fork of a specific size (no road or mtb differentiation). Others seem to say ‘Road’ or a specific brand etc.

Any ideas? Ta

stevemorg2

Sorry – can’t answer your question but am thinking about buying a pair of the forks – what’s the finish like on them?

Stablebarns
    Free Member

They look well made. Very nice ‘matt black’ with a minimal white logo.n IMO a good aesthetic for an aftermarket item. As it should look good on most bikes… unless the rest of your kit is 90s style Uber colour scheme. ;-)

Just remember, as I didn’t, that you need a bung. In the end I went to the bike monger site and bought one for a tenner. Also, if like me, you might want to swap them in and out… either on another bike, or with sus forks on the same frame. I didn’t realise I’d need a crown race… apparently the ideal is to have a crown race specific to the headset. You may be know all this. But I didn’t. PX do have a crown race that says it’s a generic one. So should work, if you’re looking to swap them around.

collseroller
    Free Member

I can’t answer your question either (I’m not an engineer) but I’m going to speculate… yes, should be no problem. The bung is just an anchor to compress the headset to which you’re not supposed to tighten up too tight anyway.

I’d like to know which model Selcof fork it is and if it’s an internal cable routing one, if the cable could enter directly into the steerer column from the lower exit port (instead of exiting at the upper crown)?

Stablebarns
    Free Member

collsroller, that is what I was thinking… the rest just being branding. I’m gonna offer up the road one and see how it feels.

Re routing on the Selcofs, no. It’s got an external routing ting. Dunno what they’re called,but that little bolt on furrow that allows you to ziptie a cable…? There’s no other holes or ports that could accept any internal routing I’m afraid. But in other respects, they don’t look shonky. Just straightforward. If I could work out how this site works, I’d upload some pics. I’ll try later.

JoB
    Free Member

if the old bung fits your new forks internally it’ll be fine, i’ve regularly swapped carbon fork bungs around

csb
    Free Member

Multi purpose crown race? We’re talking bearings that need some precision here, and especially so with carbon involved (or things get ground away) so i doubt that is possible. They come with tbe headset.

jd13m
    Free Member

I’ve reused ‘carbon’ bungs (x-lite,hope) many times with no issues – they aren’t specific to carbon btw, means you dont have to mess about with damn star-fangled nuts on a new fork…….

can’t comment on the crown race as I’ve always used the one that was with the headset

plus-one

Yes carry on no issue

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, swap them between forks as you see fit. If you can’t get the headset properly loaded then you’ll know it won’t do the job. I’ve had one that didn’t grip the inside of the steerer at all well and seemed to pull out over a number of rides. But other than that all fine.

What do crown races have to do with it? You need the one that comes with your headset. Or one with the same dimensions. That’s it surely.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The only problem you might have is the inner diameter of the steerer. Most bugs are sized to be a snug fit in a certain diameter, so a bung intended for a metal steerer on a road bike (thinwalls, big internal diameter) won’t fit a carbon TB fork (thick walls, small diameter), and vice versa, the MTB bung will be a poor fit as the expanding portions even if they expand far enough will only be touching the outside at a few points.

If it fit, it fits, though. It doesn’t have to exactly match the brand. You just need the Xmm to Zmm bung to fit your Ymm steerer tube (where X<Y<Z)

Multi purpose crown race? We’re talking bearings that need some precision here, and especially so with carbon involved (or things get ground away) so i doubt that is possible. They come with tbe headset.

Everything* is a 45deg taper now, so a lot of carbon forks come with a 45deg taper on the bottom to take the lower bearing, same inside the head tube. Obviously that doesn’t allow for any extra sealing etc, but that’s less a problem on the road and bearings are cheap and easily swapped.

*there’ll be odd ones out, I’ve a Charge Plug that takes 36deg bearings

Stablebarns
    Free Member

Just to be clear… The multi purpose/generic crown race is an aftermarket item sold by PX. It’s not part of the fork or a pre-attached item. It was a PX product that the PX online helpers guided me to, when I was enquiring how I might swap the forks between different bikes, or change between sus and rigid on a single bike. All this being due to me not being sure exactly what set up I prefer yet… From my understanding the most I’d be risking with crown race bodging is the headset anyway?

For now, I’ve ‘split’ a non split crown race and happily slipped it on to the Selcofs. A cursory play around in the shed and it feels smooth.

THanks all, for the reassurance that the bungs are just bungs. I’ve bought one anyway, as I can’t be swapping every other day. But hopefully I’ll get the road one seated in the Selcofs for a try out.

Stablebarns
    Free Member

PX headset

Their website is a bit off with descriptions… but I was pointed here. THe tapered version obv.

Are there many non 45 degree headsets around? How easy is it to tell by looking or feeling, if an angle between the race and the lower bearings are off?

csb
    Free Member

Everything* is a 45deg taper now, so a lot of carbon forks come with a 45deg taper on the bottom to take the lower bearing, same inside the head tube.

Well I never, I’ve learned something today.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Carbon fork bungs… reuseable?’ is closed to new replies.