Home Forums Chat Forum Car or van?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Car or van?
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thinking of a new vehicle, wonder what the downside of owning a van rather than a car might be. This would be small estate or big hatch in size, or the equivalent van.

thomthumb
    Free Member

insurance is higher. people ask you to help them move stuff.

thats it really.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s ok thanks, I can help them eat stuff.

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve gone from large estate cars (vw passats) to a discovery and now to a T5 transporter.

Wouldn’t be without the van now! And can’t see myself not wanting one in the future.

With a bit of sound deadening and insulating its now as quiet on the road as my wife’s A3.

garage-dweller

Lower mpg
    Lower speed limits
    Minimum large car running costs
    Not as engaging to drive
    Higher centre of gravity

Vs.
    More space and convenience
    High driving position
    Potential to better hide stuff inside

For me car wins but I do 15-20k a year so I will live with the cycling inconveniences for better road mannners.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Deffo got to get a manly van sometime in your life. Hopefully getting a Berlingo later this year.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Why not buy a car based on a van like a Berlingo or Doblo? They aren’t the most attractive of vehicles but with the seats out you’ll have all the space you will ever need and you won’t have to pay higher insurance, higher tax, higher bridge tolls or endure the lower speed limits that apply to vans.

I bought a Fiat Qubo last year. It isn’t the sportiest or prettiest of cars but but I’m so glad I bought it over a van.

RobHilton
    Free Member

manly van

Berlingo

You’re doing it wrong :)

Now that’s what I’m talking about!

Kevevs
    Free Member

haha. yeah I know, It read so wrong after I typed it :D

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

@ slow old git…it’s spelt caravan. :D

Dylan08
    Free Member

Went from driving a Focus to a VW van, and I love it … much nicer driving position and generally more fun! (not sure why, its a slower pace of driving) :)

maccruiskeen

Lower mpg
    Lower speed limits
    Minimum large car running costs

not true in what the OPs looking at – van version of a car – berlingo sized car is going to subject to the same limits and costs as a berlingo sized van

I’ve got an astra van and it would be difficult to find anything with four wheels and an engine that costs less to buy, own and drive. Same speed limits as a car (as is the case for anything up to berlingo size- with a handful of rare exceptions), 60mpg, bottom dollar to buy a good one. They’re also rated to carry more weight than you can actually fit into them so they’re generally fresher second hand than other vans that can be easily overloaded.

One downside you can encounter with car-derived vans is the bulkhead can intrude a bit into the front passenger space to maximise the load space. You’ll only be aware of this if you are over 6ft and would normally drive with the seat rolled right back. My astra for instance looses about 3-4″ of the leg room as the seat can’t go all the way back on its rails. On a quite sunday afternoon I’ll be setting about it with spotweld drill to remove the bulkhead and van floor thats tacked over where the rear seats would be in car.

hammerite
    Free Member

We have a double cab Vivaro on it’s way to us to replace an estate car. One of our cars always has the seats down with a bike in the back or the bike rack is on the car, so it seemed to make sense. Probably massive overkill for just 3 of us, but seemed to make practical sense.

We’ll be able to make our own minds up soon enough.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Lower mpg – depends what you’re comparing it to. My car does 22mpg, van is mid 30s
    Lower speed limits – same on the motorway, never really noticed this driving it but fair point
    Minimum large car running costs – Transit starts first time, every time. Lot better behaved than some cars I’ve owned. Simple engine (pre-tdci) and loads of secondhand spares available
    Not as engaging to drive – again fair one but I drive my car to work, van to mountain biking trails. I love my car but when I get in the van I’d say I’m happier knowing what it is and where it’s taking me.
    Higher centre of gravity – as per point above

Can be difficult to take stuff to the tip as they think you’re a commercial vehicle

Few more positives,

– can get changed in the back of it standing up
    – 6 seater version so can fit 6 people and 6 bikes inside the vehicle with no visible bikes
    – air bed fits in to the back seats area so can sleep in it with the bike(s) hidden, great stealth camper
    – plenty of room for spares, tools, whatever you fancy being in there. I quite often have a spare bike in it just in case!
    – dirty gear stays out the passenger area, when I was using estates/big hatchbacks I’d keep the bike in the back as often as not for security, boot and folded back seats ended up constantly minging even with covers down
    – when you need to move something yourself you can

And I’ve never been asked to help anyone move anything apart from volunteering to pick up barriers for a road club event. Not sure if that’s cos people know its constantly full of biking gear or they can’t stand me!!

One other point to watch, I insured myself and my main mountain biking mate so we could share driving places and assumed anyone else would be able to drive it on their car insurance third party, most car insurance only covers driving other cars third party, not vans. Going to try and get cover for any driver over 30 next time. More expensive but on a trip away having someone to drive if injured or shattered could be really useful, coming back from Arran after an early start to drive for the first ferry and full day riding I would have been delighted if one of the others guys could have done a shift driving coming home.

rkearsey
    Free Member

I work for VW selling vans so I have the luxury of a Caddy van for my company vehicle, bike fits perfect in the back with plenty of room still left for everything else, it’s also carpet lined in the back so its just like driving a Golf, also getting 50mpg, perfect!

The-Duke

Road tax is usually higher, I’ve got a citroen nemo van and tax is £215 for the year as it’s classed as a commercial vehicle even if it’s only for private use. The equivalent car based version with the same engine is only £35 as it’s calculated on emissions. Extra security of the van means it’s worth it though and the van is quite a bit cheaper to buy than the car version.

csb
    Free Member

Tolls are expensive – double on the Severn Bridge.

chewkw
    Free Member

Toyota Hiace van (prefer auto gear) 2.5 or 3.0 turbo diesel is my choice.

This is fast … very fast.

Kevevs
    Free Member

that does have a a certain vavavoom chewk!

chewkw
    Free Member

I just came back from the far east recently and I must say the Toyota Hiace is the van of the choice.

Very fast and far more enjoyable if it is auto gear.

What’s with driving manual gear over here … LOL!

This is a custom version but then if you do this it will become chavs’ magnet.

hugh_b
    Free Member

I had a td5 defender 90, did loads to it but in the end got fed up of it raining inside, needing lots of tlc even though it was a minter and low mileage. The front wheels had to come off the bikes to get them in too.

I purchased a vw t5 swb, have carpet lined it with a washable floor and insulation behind the panels, built a storage box and have now started on other mods and i wouldn’t be without it. It drives like an estate car, very quiet and cruises along nicely at 70mph. Went to the alps in the summer and it got us there in less than a tank, easily.

After a cold mucky ride i can just get in the back, get changed, chuck the bike in and go.

I drive a vauxhall combi van for work which is pretty comfy too and would easily fit a couple of bikes in the back.

A friend has just bought a caddy as his car which is an ideal small bike van.

giantx4
    Free Member

Jap buses look sweet eh!… but you only need a vaux combo mate,drive a treat,fairly cheap to run,& can fit 5/7 bikes in back without any dissasembly…i know…ive got it &….ive done it! :))

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

My van trounces my Vectra on space, fuel economy, speed and comfort, it’s a Caddy Maxi, have a 6’6″ by 2’6″ bed fitted, with storage underneath for all my biking, walking and climbing kit etc, fold out table with gas stove and can still fit my bike plus 3 others in.
    My insurance is cheaper too, TAX is higher but I’m never designated driver as I only have one spare seat! I don’t get asked to move thing’s and if I did then a favour in return can be called on so it’s handy, or if I’m not keen on them I’d happily say no!

Van’s are awesome! Cheap bike trips mean lot’s more bike trips.

giantx4
    Free Member

Works ferrari!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I miss mine a lot it was a larger van master lh35
    Only problems were height limits on car parks and
    The Severn bridge till on welsh trips

It’s used to do 30-35 mpg and happily cruise at 80
    Mot was a touch more money but this should not apply to car derived vans
    Tax was cheap ( euro 4 )

Cost less than my Audi to insure too

chewkw
    Free Member

Get this one Toyota Gegius 3.0L diesel auto gear. I like!

Price is also very good. BTW this is smaller than the Hiace van but good enough.

This the garage.

A bit like this …

grantway
    Free Member

Van

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Car or van?’ is closed to new replies.