Home Forums Chat Forum Car bump – insurance or not?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car bump – insurance or not?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Young lass ran into the back of me this morning. Theres next to no damage to my old sharabanc, certainly nothing I give toss about and she’s keen not to involve insurers. But….I had a passenger, so there them to think of (whiplash wise) and she should ring it in anyway, yes?

I should call it in shouldn’t I?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Insurance companies  DO NOT LIKE not being told about bumps.

Really them. It’s just a daft thing people believe that sorting it “without insurance involvement” is a good idea. Until the other party gets “a twinge in the neck” and a whole world of trouble erupts.

Cougar2
    Free Member

Yes you should.

1) Whiplash injuries can take a couple of weeks to show symptoms.  I was once taken roughly from behind by a large Polish gentleman and it was several days before my injuries were apparent (I’d shagged both thumbs, I must have involuntarily braced for impact against the steering wheel when I saw him coming).

2) On modern cars, “next to no damage” may well be next to no cosmetic damage but sodded internally.  Crumple zones are designed to crumple – once.  The next impact, you’ll know about it.  Get it checked.

3) Anyone keen not to involve insurers would make me all the more keen to involve insurers.

flannol
    Free Member

3) Anyone keen not to involve insurers would make me all the more keen to involve insurers.

+100

They’re there to take care of it all (for both sides!). That’s literally why we pay them so bloomin’ much.

oceanskipper

I think you’ll find that the Ts & Cs of your policy require you to call it in regardless of whether you want to or not. She’s thinking that her premiums will go up as she was at fault and that by not notifying her insurer she will escape this. In reality she will also need to notify them as per the Ts&Cs as well so that they can put her premiums up as she’s just demonstrated that she will need higher premiums!!

Call it in.

johnners
    Free Member

they can put her premiums up as she’s just demonstrated that she will need higher premiums!!

Unfortunately the victim’s premium may also go up, since they’re demonstrably the kind of driver others run into the back of.

weeksy

Nah. I had one in car park in Swindon, about 5mph.

I got out of the Mondeo and she says “I don’t really give a shit, do you?”

” I drive a Mondeo, what do you think”

“See ya”

oceanskipper

Unfortunately the victim’s premium may also go up, since they’re demonstrably the kind of driver others run into the back of.

Yeah that too unfortunately.

mattyfez

Depends.. a young lass once ran into the back of my V70 in a ford KA at slow speed, her bumber and one of her headlights was wrecked…

Barely a scratch on my old and slightly tatty volvo, so I just told her not to worry about it, as she was totally at fault and panicking a bit… I even duct taped her bumper up for her, so she could drive it home… sometimes it’s nice to be nice.

johnners
    Free Member

sometimes it’s nice to be nice

It is, right up until she decides to report it to her insurers and you haven’t reported it to yours.

andrewh
    Free Member

I got rear ended, broke a couple of the bolts which held the bumper, the middle two of six, and scuffed the paint.  Got out, realised it was someone I knew who had driven into me, laughed about it, he kept trying to convince me to get it fixed at his expense but I really couldn’t care so we left it at that.

Another one, I was on the bike, got taken out by someone who turned without signalling as I was passing stationary traffic he’d got bored of sitting in. I took his mirror off and hit the ground, unharmed. His fault, his damage so we agreed to leave it at that.

For minor stuff like that I wouldn’t bother. No come back from either.

However, I was a witness to a rear end shunt, very low speed, shouting match followed and then the offending driver drove off without giving details. I volunteered my details as a witness and had her numberplate number. It went to court for leaving the scene. Found out later she’d done £800 of damage, some fancy parking sensors in his bumper. Anyway, don’t just leave without agreeing to do so with the other person!

mattyfez

It is, right up until she decides to report it to her insurers and you haven’t reported it to yours.

If it became a problem I would simply say “what collision? nowt to do with me” but it was probably 8+ years ago now, so it’s not something that keeps me up at night.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Reported to insurer.

Ooooh, me neck…….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.