Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can you convert road tyres and rims to tubeless?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been doing it any old rim/tyre combo in mtb for years and years, but the one time I tried it on my road bike the air escaped out of the sidewalls when I pumped them up past 60 psi or so. Should I have persisted? Is it possible? 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I suppose I’m also a bit worried about the bead popping off with the extra pressure and that. Does that happen?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The mfrs say it’s a huge risk to use non tubeless tyres as the beads may not hold.

Some people are doing diy with non tubeless rims (not tyres, editted).

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Generally speaking, rims are very marginal and tyres are a no go.

The pressure is too much for the bead to hold onto the rim.

There are very few combos that work, but generally large volume tyres (CX sized and bigger, think 35+mm) and low pressures. Pretty much like 29ers running slicks. And this works “better” with steel beads.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That said i got some cheap folding non tubeless tyres up on my Stan’s alpha’s but was too feart to ride them

simondbarnes

I guess it depends on how much you value your face

richmars

I was about to ask this question tonight as well.
    So non tubeless rims, a Stans kit and tubeless tyre isn’t going to work?
    I’m looking to convert my commuter, so not after total speed, just reliability.

dc2.0

Well, I’m running 30mm s-ones on not-officially-disc kinesis crosslight rims @75psi

oldnpastit

Can you use Schwalbe’s “tubeless easy” road tyres on normal rims?

Their web page here implies you can:

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tubeless.html

But I’ve not tried it myself (but once my current tyres are worn out, I’m getting a pair of these).

richmars

Thanks, may give it a go.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks peeps, I was hoping to run non-tubeless tyres on non-tubeless rims, but it’s looking like a bad idea! 🙂

TiRed

Tubeless tyres on nontubeless rims, yes no trouble with Schwalbe G One Speed and Ones. The tyre bead is a different profile and the sidewalks stronger. Done this for a few years. Ksyriums were the easiest tubeless rim I’ve used.

Nontubeless tyres on tubeless wheels, again yes, I’m running wire beaded CX Pros on Stans Crests. Took ages to seal the porous side walls, but have been fine for over a year. The rim profile locks even nontubeless beads in place.

Nontubeless tyres on nontubeless tims. Well I might for cyclocross but not for the road. I like my teeth!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve done some non-tubeless rims, such as Open Pro, Mavic Aksiums, Archetypes and they’ve been fine. Some are easier than others (OP not that easy, Archetypes a doddle) and some definitely need a compressor to seat.

But always use a proper tubeless tyre. I did try a ghetto (nontubeless) Conti GP4Season once but the sidewall was too porous and took ages to seal and, as above, I value my teeth so took it off without actually riding it.

kiwijohn

I used some wire bead Conti Ultraports on my Stans Alphas for a 200km Audax. Sealed up fine & didn’t burp, though that would be frightening.
    Use 2bliss Roubaixs now.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Interested to hear stories about tubeless rims with non tubeless tyres.
    I have tubeless giant slr wheels and some new schwalbe ones in boxes but have been reluctant as they aren’t the tubeless version

TiRed

I have tubeless giant slr wheels

I’ve found that these rims grip a non-tubeless tyre bead very well indeed, and used them with Schwalbe Ones a lot (with tubes). I still wouldn’t though. As I said, I think that the technology is in the tyre bead, the rim is less important. After all, road tyres don’t blow off with tubes at 140 PSI, the tubeless tyres increase the grip to the bead and are much harder to roll. And of course are not porous, but that can be handled with Stans.

shermer75
    Free Member

Might give it a go with some Schwalbes, these are heavily discounted

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/schwalbe-pro-one-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod143770

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can you convert road tyres and rims to tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.