Home Forums Chat Forum Can the Montane prism be beaten ?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Can the Montane prism be beaten ?
  • bikerevivesheffield

For £70?
    Looking at a primaloft jacket to wear through the winter for most things – walking in the peak, life, sledging etc

jamiea
    Free Member

Had one for years, ’tis great. Will replace it like-for-like when the time comes and it’s not economical to have the insulation topped up.

butcher

As someone who bought 2, I’d say no. It’s not really a winter jacket, but with a couple of layers underneath it very much becomes one. Great, versatile piece of kit. Works for pretty much everything except hot summer days.

Also, my current one has been my daily jacket for 10 years, whether plodding to the shops, on bikepacking trips, or wandering up mountains. Maybe looking a bit tatty now but there’s really nothing wrong with it.

scotroutes

I love mine (I’m on my second). There might be something similar from the likes of Decathlon.

I also have a two-tone Endura (Flipjak?) that I got for similar money that works very well.

retrorick

I like my Rab primaloft top. Can’t remember the model but I bought it for around £70 several years ago.
    As long as it fits and has decent sized pockets for big phones and other junk I’d get a primaloft insulated top again.
    I’ll probably try on the cheaper options tho beforehand.

jam-bo

I’ve got one. Don’t particularly like the cut but it’s warm and well made. Should have sized down I think.

johnnystorm

Great jackets and I wear mine nearly all year round, echo Butcher above, it needs some help in the depths of winter.

bikerevivesheffield

I had one and lost it, then “upgraded” the the Rab down jacket that looks ace but it’s shit to wash and not that warm

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’m on my second. The cut of the newer one not as nice as the old, but still a fantastic jacket. Big cozy pockets, great hood, lightweight and packs up small.

Have numerous other insulated jackets but it’s definitely my go to. Nothing better than shoving it on when stood on a windy summit and a chill comes in.

DougD

I’m on my second (first got nicked whilst on a night out). They’re brilliant

peter1979
    Free Member

I had one about 10 years ago and used it until it fell apart.
    Didn’t replace it for a while then recently got a fjern breen for £50 on offer from sportpursuit (normally £60 I think. It’s not as good as the Montane at all. Good fit and nice feel but not as warm.

blitz

I’ve got 4 montane jackets – prism, hydrogen direct, extreme and a fleet waterproof.

The prism is by far the most versatile and gets the most use. As above needs layers in colder weather but it’s cut a bit roomier so works well for that. It’s my go to for most conditions. Packs pretty small too if needed. Brilliant jackets.

didnthurt

I’ve had my Prism jacket for about 5 years. Bought it in the sale for £50.

It’s still in regular use looks fine.

But, I’d maybe look at something different to the classic Primaloft/Pertex jacket if I was buying a replacement. Something more breathable.

I’d be looking at a Polartec Alpha jacket, Wiggle’s own brand one looks good, especially for the price.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fohn-polartec-alpha-hybrid-jacket

didnthurt

Good comparison here.

https://casualgeographical.com/polartec-alpha-vs-primaloft-insulation/

Just skip down to the conclusion.

matt_outandabout

I personally much prefer Polartec Alpha if I’m intending to be m moving on a bike, boots or in a boat.

I have a cheap, but much warmer for sitting around, jacket with primaloft in. In the style of a ‘belay jacket’, it only comes out when I stop.

iainc

I am on my second one also. I do have a couple of the Endura reversible ones mentioned earlier which are a better fit and are my goto for daily dog walks etc when dry.

benp1

40gsm synthetic fill isn’t warm enough for winter. That’s my 3 season bikepacking jacket, but for winter need 80-100gsm is better for all round use

dovebiker

Mine’s about 10 years old – OK for general outdoor wear but not really warm enough for really cold weather or sitting around and not really breathable enough for active wear in extreme cold – Polartec Alpha is far superior in every respect – breathable, wicking, packability.

Superficial
    Free Member

As above, great versatile jacket for general pottering around but it’s a) not warm enough on cold days, b) not waterproof enough if it’s really hammering it down and c) too baggy to want to use on the bike. Very much a jack-of-all-trades.

I really like mine but it’s not a panacea. The hood is incredible, though.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

At £70, it’s difficult to beat. But if you start getting nearer the rrp / for not a great deal more (if you shop around) I think the Patagonia nano puff is a better option.

I’ve had both for for a fair few years and find the nano puff more versatile as it breaths a fair bit better than the prism so can can be used as an insulated mid layer with out going boil in the bag. Warmer too with 60gsm of primaloft gold vs the 40gsm silver of the prism, so the one I tend to reach when it’s chilly for for everything from pub duty to out in the hills

Prism has been relegated to an emergency warm layer which lives at the bottom of the pack these days

jimmy

Love mine too. As my second I think of it as new, but it must be 10 years old. I keep thinking to replace it but there’s absolutely no reason to – apart from an annoying oil stain on one sleeve it’s in great condition still having been used as a daily winter coat, for ski trips, bike packing trips, walking, climbing. It’s pretty bombproof.

Not too warm, not too cold, layer it up as needed. I’m sure others do the same job but I’d have no reason to look elsewhere, except maybe the new colour schemes … But there’s always black.

jakd95
    Free Member

Had one for 7-8 years, similar experiences to above, would happily recommend it. Lives in the car now to be worn on walks and after damp/cold rides, instead of a more delicate down jacket. Packs down small and layers up nicely. The massive pockets are great!

wbo
    Free Member

As a winter midlayer it’s pretty good , esp. for the money.

jimw
    Free Member

I also have two. The first I bought second hand for £25 five years ago and is still the most used jacket that I have which is used for dog walks, gardening, etc.etc. Wouldn’t like to guess how many times it’s been washed yet whilst scruffy round the edges it just keeps going. I bought a new one a couple of years ago which is my smarter jacket for going out most of the time between roughly October and April. As above, not warm enough on its own when really cold and not the most breathable so I have never worn on the bike.

jeffl

Ordered two of these From Sports Shoes, one in L and one in XL. At 6′ 5″ and a 43″ chest I should have been an XL but figured I’d order both to compare. Turns out the XL was way too big, even the arms were too long, which is pretty rare for me. The L was just about the right size and as I’m losing weight due to the 100 day challenge seemed like the better one to keep.

mildred

I have an original Prism – much nicer fit & still going strong. I bought another in the sales and it’s not as nice fitting and not quite as insulated.

I sold that and bought a Salomon Drifter. Very similar jacket, a fraction more expensive but slightly nicer put together. It’s also reversible, which I like. You can get them cheaper if you shop around.

fazzini

My original Prism was stolen :( I have 2 others and love them, but not for anything properly ‘active’ as I’d boil. I do love them for chucking in a bag/pack due to size/weight for pit stops as they are the perfect layer for short stints even in the cold. I can also squeeze one into a frame bag if I think a route is worthy of stop. I also used to have an original Flux jacket which was warmer again, but also not breathable enough for active use. Having said all of that, I overheat just thinking about exercise, so maybe it’s me not the coat 😂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.