Home Forums Bike Forum Can I use Magura levers and calipers with Shimano hoses?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can I use Magura levers and calipers with Shimano hoses?
  • bens
    Free Member

I quite fancy trying some Magura brakes because I’m fed up with Shimano calipers leaking.

If I can avoid having to drop the motor to fit new hoses, that would fab.

Current hose is Shimano BH90 @ 2.1mm.

Looks as though the Magura hose is 2.3mm.

Do I need to suck it up and drop the motor? Or can I get away with reusing the Shimano hose?

Coming from 6120s, I know I’ll need to fit the Magura banjo at the caliper and and presumably a Magura olive at the lever?

Also, I’ve got half a litre of Shimano mineral oil in the garage. I’m going to need to bleed the new brakes, presumably, I’ll be ok to drain the system of the Magura fluid and refill with Shimano?

joebristol

I was looking into using Magura mt8 flat mount calipers with Shimano road levers and there is conflicting advice online. Most advised to use a Magura hose with Magura olive and Barb at the caliper end. Then Shimano olive and mixed ideas on which Barb at the lever end.

Some people made Shimano hoses work, some found they leaked after a while. So it feels a bit pot luck.

bens
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d seen mixed opinions and experiences too.

Pot luck and brakes aren’t 2 things that I really want to mix.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

I’ve used Shimano banjo hoses on mt5 calipers, cured leak with magura banjos. Have XT levers.

lardman
    Free Member

I’d be very interested to know this too!

I’ve got magura calipers ready (waiting to make frankenBrake), and barbs/olives for the caliper end, but was hoping just to use the shimano hose.

I know theyre slightly different internal gauge, but i’m wondering if it REALLY makes any difference.

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve used Shimano banjo hoses on mt5 calipers, 

Ah, this is good to know.

\Did they leak?

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

\Did they leak?

Shimano – Magura – No

Magura – Magura – yes.

reeksy

I have Saint levers with Magura hoses and shimano barb and olive which seems OK. And shimano oil.

colournoise

I’ve gone Magura calipers with Zee levers. Magura hoses, barbs and olives. All good so far (after a year of use).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.