Home Forums Chat Forum Can dogs hear music?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Can dogs hear music?
  • pandhandj
    Free Member

I listen to music quite a bit, mostly house, disco, funk, soul type of thing. I WFH so for at least a few hours most days.

Bandit doesn’t seem too impressed! He does get a bit growl-y at very low bass sounds but otherwise he doesn’t bother.

So is it that he can’t hear the music or that his tastes are different from mine?

martinhutch

Dogs mostly like folk and country and western. HTH

kayak23

Dogs can listen to Jimi Hendrix, but they don’t HEAR Jimi Hendrix.

pandhandj
    Free Member

@martinhutch – I’m a big Cash fan AND bandit is Irish, so I’m not sure your correct there? 🤣🤣🤣

@kayak
    – I’ve never played a Hendrix track in my life. So you’re well off there wee man 🤣🤣🤣

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need to turn up your woofers

p7eaven
    Free Member

/endthread

pandhandj
    Free Member

@thestabilizer

You should be PM mate!
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

funkmasterp

It’ll be the house and disco he doesn’t like. Disco is funk gone badly wrong.

desperatebicycle

My dog used to get really annoyed by an Andy C drum & bass track. Can’t remember which one, but she absolutely hated it.

Drac

Our Oscar’s breeder played classical music on the radio. We use it to help him relax if we leave him on his own.

MoreCashThanDash

My nan’s dog knew the closing music to The Archers, as he went to fetch his lead for his walk when he heard it.

somafunk

My Jack Russell used to get the zoomies around the house when I played Plastikman, so yeah they can hear it.

piha
    Free Member

I’ve never met a dog that doesn’t enjoy a bit of (a) Bach….

mattyfez

Oh for sure, I always put the radio on (usually radio 2 or radio 4) if I’m going to leave him for an hour or two, it seems to settle him, evidenced by the pet cam.

I’ve not quite nailed his taste in music yet, but hes deffinatley more of an easy rock/country fan, and randomly seems to like a bit of metallica.

I think it’s calm voices and reletivley calm melodic music that sooths him.

pandhandj
    Free Member

@funkmasterp

You take that back, right this instance!

I’ve just checked with bandit and he has confirmed, that the guitar riff from “stayin alive” is the funkiest thing he has ever heard!

As well you know, young man! 🤣🤣🤣

funkmasterp

You take that back, right this instance!

I’ve just checked with bandit and he has confirmed, that the guitar riff from “stayin alive” is the funkiest thing he has ever heard!

No and you need to introduce him to the Meters 😂

zippykona

My parent’s dog was obsessed with the cat on the roof at the start of Coronation Street.
    As soon as the music started the dog would run to the telly to be ready could attack the cat.

prettygreenparrot

They hear it. They just don’t dig it like cockatoos do.

RustySpanner

Some breeds are really into music, the Joe Cocker Spaniel being a prime example.

Underhill
    Free Member

Some breeds are really into music, the Joe Cocker Spaniel being a prime example

So named because of their longevity, I understand

alexpalacefan

Chapeau Underhill.
    APF

stripeysocks
    Free Member

My first dog appeared to be able to identify Julian Cope tracks (fx: Alan Partridge shrug) but the rest of ’em seem to not notice music at all.

tthew

It’s jazz time signatures that confuse our dog Henry.

Anything in four-paw time, he’s well into it.

IGML. (I’ll get my lead)

duncancallum

My old dog used to go nuts at caught stealing by Jane’s Adiction

Geoff is more chilled and is more into radio 4

JAG

Nirvana doggo!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

https://youtu.be/W3Iidf0gpUU

That dog can hold a tune better than me😊

kerley
    Free Member

Unless the said dog is deaf then of course it can hear music. How it reacts to it or what it does about it is another matter.

The dog will actually be able to hear more than you at either end of the range (assuming you both have fully functioning hearing)

kayak23

^^^ Explains why frogs never take any notice when you call them. 😐

Scapegoat

Son’s Cocker Spaniel recognises The Lion Sleeps Tonight. He pricks up his ears and howls along to the chorus!

My Labrador makes herself scarce if I switch on my bass amp, or if I so much as switch on the mic to do some vocal recordings. 🤨

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Can dogs hear music?’ is closed to new replies.