Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Caffe Latex – utter gash
  • RicB

Not even gash – tiny pinprick hole in the tyre that wouldn’t seal (Spesh Purgatory)

Reason? The supposedly long-lasting formulation had completely dried out within 3 weeks!

Thought I’d share before anyone else wastes their money. Just ordered some Stans

Deveron53
    Free Member

Avoid the Specialized stuff as well.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Same here. The tyre inflated well, but the sealant turned to brown rubber in weeks.

Avoid the Fenwicks stuff like the plague too, it’s utter rubbish.

prawny

Had a hole in a tube filled with JRA milk on saturday.I was quite pleased/surprised it was still liquid as it had been in there nearly a year. Still did SFA about the hole though. Stuff spurted everywhere.

trickydisco
    Free Member

worked well for me in my cross tubular that punctured. Told that stans wouldn’t work with latex tubes in tubulars very well. so thumbs up for me.. but haven’t used it for mtb

timmys

Anyone try Continental Revo sealant?

soobalias
    Free Member

is it worse when used with CO2 inflator rather than track pump?

trickydisco
    Free Member

don’t forget it works differently to stans. When i first out some in mine and inflated it didn’t work and i thought it was pants. Then i realised it works when i span it and rode out on it.

Foaming action activated by wheel movement: the first advantage of Caffélatex over classic latex-based sealants comes from a foaming agent (Actifoam™), activated by wheel movement. Centrifugal force drives standard latex-based sealants against the outer circumference of the tyre. Caffélatex foaming action causes it to fill the tyre’s entire internal cavity , making it much more effective against sidewall punctures.

molgrips
    Free Member

Centrifugal force drives standard latex-based sealants against the outer circumference of the tyre

And that’s where you get punctures…

I have no idea why anyone buys anything other than Stan’s…

trickydisco
    Free Member

like i said.. stans woudn’t work for me when using a cross tubular (and other racers i know of). This has held all summer season for me

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

JRA dries up quite fast for me. Stans to try next.

sssimon
    Free Member

The CO2 comment above is a very valid one, if you use an inflator to seat the tyre make sure and drain it when you come home and refill with a track pump. CO2 is the component of air that causes the sealant to harden when it reaches “air” on the outside of the tyre

clubber
    Free Member

All sealants seems to cause problems for some people so it’s clearly not as simple as X sealant is crap and Y is brilliant. Some combinations of tyres/rims/etc seem to work with some sealants than others.

FWIW, I’ve had few issues with Stans or Joes except with a couple of cx tyres that just wouldn’t seal – something to do with the tyre release agent apparently.

brassneck

I have no idea why anyone buys anything other than Stan’s…

Price.

Then you go and buy Stan’s as the stuff you bought doesn’t work properly.

Not that I’ve done that 😳

bigjim

the only problem i’ve had with stans is the little rubber bits aggregating into little stans coral chunks.

honourablegeorge

Schwalbe Doc Blue

12 euro on the german sites, comes in a Stan’s-style bottle, includes a Stan’s style scoop, and a smaller Stan’s style bottle, includes a free Stan’s-style valve core remover, and has a “Made by Stan’s” logo on the back.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have to preface this by saying i don’t run tubeless, but can sealant not be made from Copydex? Perhaps with extra water? Do these sealants smell a bit fishy like the aforementioned glue?

brassneck

I have to preface this by saying i don’t run tubeless, but can sealant not be made from Copydex? Perhaps with extra water? Do these sealants smell a bit fishy like the aforementioned glue?

Yeah it can be, but see my comment above. It’ll probably work for most thorns etc. but Stans stays liquid and fixes some mighty holes more consistently than anything I’ve tried (and I reckon over 8 years or so I’ve tried most everything).

I’ll check out that Doc Blue, good shout if it is the same stuff.

honourablegeorge

Here it is – you can see the “Produced By Stan’s NoTubes” logo on the bottom left of the box. Seems to be the exact same stuff.

johnnystorm

Koo Bikes are flogging the Quart bottles of Stans for 17 quid (13 at wiggle for half as much)and you get a Fiver off for signing up to their mailing list. 🙂

RicB

How long should stans last then?

Hopefully longer than 3 weeks!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had it last over a year. Depends on the tyre.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Caffe Latex – utter gash’ is closed to new replies.