Home Forums Chat Forum Builder dumping stuff on road

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Builder dumping stuff on road
  • richmtb

My neighbour across the street is getting some work done.

The builder is barrowing soil and turf round from the back of his house and dumping it directly on the street. No skip, no ground sheet, just a load of soil and dirt right on to the tarmac.

Am I right in thinking this isn’t really on?

It’s a quiet residential street with no through traffic, only traffic is from the people that live on the street so it’s unlikely to be a safety issue. But dumping a load of dirt directly onto the roadway seems like shitty corner cutting to me.

I’ve no idea if this is something the neighbour agreed to, they don’t work from home so the builder is “unsupervised”

BenjiM

I’m guessing it would be classed as fly-tipping. Have a word with your neighbour, as even though he may have agreed to it, he may not realise how serious it could be for him.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Presumably he is going to be moving it to where ever its intended final destination is.

How is this affecting you or going to impact you ?

Ergo why do you care assuming the builder isn’t really planning to leave it there ?

fasthaggis

Have a wee walk across and take a photo while he is dumping the soil and turf,he will soon let you know what the plan is for getting rid of it. Good luck.

the-muffin-man

Standard builder practice isn’t it!?

As long as it’s not there for weeks on end and he clears up after then what’s the problem.

richmtb

Ergo why do you care assuming the builder isn’t really planning to leave it there

I don’t really care I’m more curious as to whether this is accepted practice. In my head it seems wrong to be dumping a load of loose material onto a road.

When it rains it will wash a load of mud all over the street. There is also, an admittedly small, chance that a loose bit of rubble could damage someones car, which is why I would have thought a skip would have been a better solution unless the builder was cutting corners.

oldtennisshoes

Standard builder practice isn’t it!?
    Maybe 30 years ago, but not today.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just give the builder a heads up that one if the neighbours is a highways inspector for the local authority. It’ll be gone by tea time.

Nothing should be on the public highway without a permit and I can’t imagine what grounds there would be for issuing one to allow the dumping of private spoil. That’s what skips are for. Wonder where he’s planning on it going for its final destination.

carlos
    Free Member

Its likely to be in prep for a grab and go wagon. We used to do this quite a lot tbh, BUT it was always stockpiled on the customers driveway or property, whilst awaiting collection, certainly not on the road.

Skips have to have a permit to be on the roads, so I’d guess he’s cutting a few corners or hoping no one will notice.

You never know it might be gone later

richmtb

BUT it was always stockpiled on the customers driveway or property,

The pile of dirt is actually blocking their driveway, but on the road!

twisty
    Free Member

Basically it’s flytipping, whilst they may intend to tidy up later in the meantime if it rains then then the water will pull lots of crap into the drainage gully.
    Relatively minor though as long as they tidy up.

fossy

Our neighbour dumped a load of his building materials on shared land opposite my house back in November – unfortunately the council don’t want to know. It’s still there but overgrown now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’d be moaning if it was still there at going home time. But if it’s there and being uplifted while the builders on site then I’d not be getting worked up about it.

I’d reckon that some loose dirt if hit by a car would do less damage than a skip which rarely if ever have the lights etc required per the permit.

snotrag

There’ll be a grab lorry along later to collect it all I bet.

If there isnt, and it sits there overnight, thats when I would then start to be concerned/bothered.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Of course there’ll be a grab. If not, he has to handball it twice which seems daft. Just because it’s going this afternoon, doesn’t mean it’s okay to dump it there now though.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Or the builder is a reclaim the streets protestor looking to re-turf the nation’s highways and herald a return to green & pleasant land-ness. Onza’s Highway Inspector suggestion for the win.

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

I’d suggest there are larger issues in the world than soil outside of someone’s house for what is currently a few hours. Perhaps think about your own reaction to this, maybe time for a spin in the sunshine?

dyna-ti

Have a word with your neighbour,

DO NOT have a word with the neighbour, have an anonymous word with the council or the police. Don’t let the builder/whomever know who you are and who it is causing them probs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

anonymous word with the council or the police

It’ll be long gone before you get hold of someone WGAF

TheBrick
    Free Member

DO NOT have a word with the neighbour, have an anonymous word with the council or the police.

It is possible to discuss concerns with a neighbor without escalation. You don’t always have to resort to telling the teacher.

stumpy01

Could you take a shovel out & start shaping it into a tabletop or series of rollers to practice on?

I’d be a bit pissed off if it wasn’t moved within a day or so, especially if there’s rain forecast.
    If it stays there, is he gonna stick cones near it, or flashy yellow lights so people don’t drive into it?

footflaps

I suspect he’s waiting for a skip. I’ve been tempted to pile up earth on the street in similar siutaion, in the end I stored it in fold up bags…

IMG_3160 by Ben Freeman[/url], on Flickr

It’s not that different to the builder’s merchants dropping of materials on the road, which is pretty normal. When I’ve had a big load delivered, takes day to shift it all.

7 tonnes hardcore, 1 tonne sand by Ben Freeman[/url], on Flickr

600 Medium Density Concrete Blocks by Ben Freeman[/url], on Flickr

richmtb

Could you take a shovel out & start shaping it into a tabletop or series of rollers to practice on?

Its already sort of the right shape for a tabletop, I reckon a couple of hours with a shovel would get it riding nicely, there is plenty of rubble mixed in with the soil to give it some stability and a slightly downhill run up.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Can you post an update later on? This is very exciting.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Our neighbour dumped a load of his building materials on shared land opposite my house back in November – unfortunately the council don’t want to know. It’s still there but overgrown now

Escalate that. The council aren’t doing their job which could be fine if they cited covid as backing up their cases.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A manicured estate like that surely has a homeowner’s association who will be round issuing fines and lots of tutting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our neighbour dumped a load of his building materials on shared land opposite my house back in November – unfortunately the council don’t want to know. It’s still there but overgrown now

All depends who owns the land. It’s the landowners problem. I bet it’s not highways but it could be a different council department. More than likely some defunct holding company involved with the developer at the time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A manicured estate like that surely has a homeowner’s association who will be round issuing fines and lots of tutting.

It’s the East end of Glasgow, more likely to set it on fire.

fossy

Quick, out with the hose and turn it into a jump overnight, for a laugh. And don’t forget to ride over the lawn a few times. Shame they will know it’s you OP.

PS the builder can’t dump it in the road though !

redmex
    Free Member

You can’t call that fly tipping , it’s a wee bit different to fridges and stained mattresses
    Lots of clipes on here, another good Scottish word

twisty
    Free Member

You can’t call that fly tipping , it’s a wee bit different to fridges and stained mattresses
    Lots of clipes on here, another good Scottish word

Perhaps I misused the term flytipping, more of a colloquial rather than legal term anyway. I think this is the relevant legislation for matter left on Highway
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Will4/5-6/50/section/LXXIII/enacted

LXXIIIMatters laid on or near Highway, so as to be a Nuisance, to be removed on Notice; or on Failure, Surveyor to dispose of the same by Order of a Justice.
    And be it further enacted, That if any Timber, Stone, Hay, Straw, Dung, Manure, Lime, Soil, Ashes, Rubbish, or other Matter or Thing whatsoever shall be laid upon any Highway so as to be a Nuisance, and shall not, after Notice given by the Surveyor, Assistant Surveyor, or District Surveyor, be forthwith removed, it shall and may be lawful for the Surveyor, Assistant Surveyor, or District Surveyor, by Order in Writing from any One Justice, to clear the said Highway by removing the said Stone, Hay, Straw, Dung, Manure, Soil, Ashes, Rubbish, or other Matter or Thing as aforesaid, and to dispose of the same, and to apply the Proceeds arising therefrom towards the Repairs of the Highway within the Parish in which such Highway may be situate: Provided nevertheless, that if any Soil, Ashes, or Rubbish shall be laid on any Highway, and such Soil, Ashes, or Rubbish shall not be of sufficient Value to defray the Expence of removing them, the Person who laid or deposited such Soil, Ashes, or Rubbish shall repay to the said Surveyor, Assistant Surveyor, or District Surveyor the Money which he shall have necessarily expended for the Removal thereof, which Money, in case the same shall not be forthwith repaid, shall be levied as Forfeitures are herein directed to be levied.

Written in a time where the value of something like Dung may have exceeded the cost of removing it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it still there ?

redmex
    Free Member

Twisty that bit of legislation is a wee bit like adultery or parking on a pavement would it go to court ? It would keep courts busy as there are loads of cars on pavements and I would imagine plenty of extra marital sex going on

steve-g
    Free Member

Neighbour doesn’t want the grabber ruining the drive so is having it dumped on the road, can’t really tell for sure but it doesn’t look like its causing an issue on a busy road, I would probably do the same.

fasthaggis

Damn,no update.

Come on OP,we need to know if it all went a bit  ..

tip

fettlin

It looks very much the said builder has been around the edge and swept it into a neat pile.

Not really the MO of a master criminal fly tipper-er.

richmtb

^^^^ It wasn’t far off that picture once the builder was finished dumping more stuff today.

But a flat bed with a grabber has just turned up so it looks like it will all be gone shortly.

the00
    Free Member

keep twitching them curtains, just to be sure.

Joe

Get over it. Jesus.

Cougar

Can I assume that all those posting ‘get over it’ comments would be perfectly happy if it were outside their own houses? If so can they PM me their addresses please, I’ve got a ton of stuff to get rid of. Ta.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Builder dumping stuff on road’ is closed to new replies.