Home Forums Bike Forum Budget/sensible 29 wheel choice

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Budget/sensible 29 wheel choice
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So I’ve jumped on board the ‘sell it while you can’ boat and sold my 27.5 stanton switchback while the money/demand is high. Now planning a 29er hardcore hardtail build to replace it. Already have a super nice full sus so dont want anything too bling but I’m looking at wheels and wondering what everyone would buy? Rims and hubs and get my local wheel guy to build it up? A complete wheelset from somewhere? Ideally want something that can manage with 2.4 tyres as a minimum so nothing too narrow internally.

davros

Hunt xc wide or trail wide look to be a good budget/weight ratio and well reviewed. But you’ll be waiting a few weeks as they seem to be in demand.

gallowayboy

Had the same dilemma 18 months ago. If budget means sub £400, hunt trail wide or just riding along trail wide would be suitable, can’t vouch for strength etc as I spent £100 more for a set of dt Swiss ex471 on hope pro 4 hubs from moonglu. More than happy, they’re on a Stanton Sherpa that gets a fair amount of abuse, still spot on.

boobs

I’ve found the hunt trail wide to be lacking, went out of true from new, now looks like I ride rock gardens most of the time, rims bend with a stern look. I’ve only got a Solaris and bimble round the Chilterns.

akira

I’ve just picked up some Mavic XA, not eh lightest or fanciest but decently wide, good pick up and went up tubeless with 2.4s easily.

chakaping

I have Mavic XA as my trail wheels too. Even with unfashionable 25mm rims they are fine for 2.4in tyres.

Good mix of light-ish and stiff feel, not soft but not super-burly. Worth buying if they come up cheap (I paid £230-ish for the pair on CRC but that was probably a stroke of luck).

If you’re looking at closer to £400, I’d also say spend the £100 extra for Hope/DT customs. Just ordered a set myself from Moonglu.

mboy
    Free Member

I have Mavic XA as my trail wheels too. Even with unfashionable 25mm rims they are fine for 2.4in tyres.

Agreed, and my XA Elites may be for sale soon if you wanted them… They’ve dealt with my 90kg admirably, so would happily recommend them to someone much lighter than me…

I can recommend all sorts of other options, but I guess budget will dictate a lot too.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

I have to say ive heard of alot of issues that people seem to have with the hunt wheels, however my experience couldnt be more opposite if i tried.

Owned a 27.5 set of trail wide wheels for the last year and a bit, im a heavy rider at 95kg, and not particularly smooth, i tend to barrel through stuff rather then pick my way through with finesse.

Havent touched them at all (Hubs could probably do with a clean and service) still run straight and true, i even did a trip to bike park wales on a hardtail and they survived all still in tact, havent even got any dings or marks on them.

For the price i would highly recommend

ampthill

Dt swiss 1900 came on a bike I own. I certainly would buy them for another build. Front is 30mm internal rear is 25mm internal. I think they are under £400 from the german shop

Ok looks like 270 euros! Front and rear on discount

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/mtb-wheels/l-24

ico86

Coming with all the usual planet x cautions, but this seems like a good price if you want boost and a regular (old) shimano freehub:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPI29FBW/wtb-i29-29er-on-formula-boost-6-bolt-wheelset

GolfChick
    Free Member

Cheers for suggestions so far. Dt Swiss 1900 wheelset is a good price but the hubs on them have really poor engagement and would rather have 350 hubs than the 370. Thankfully I’m not in a rush which is good right now!

zezaskar
    Free Member

Another recommendation on the DT Swiss 1900 series wheels, particularly the E version since it’s for a hardcore hardtail.

My brother had a set of E1900s on a Pipedream Moxie for an year. No, they don’t look like a million quid and the ratchet is not 350 level, but they held tension and shape surprisingly well, even without inserts and don’t weight a ton. We got them for something like 270€ from Bike24 If I recall correctly

BillOddie

Another vote for the E1900s, i have them and for the money they are great.  The engagement whilst not brilliant isn’t particlrly an issue for me to be honest.

davros

I have the m1900 on a new bike and really notice the slow engagement. Previous bike had hope and other bike has mavic id360 so I’ve found it to be an issue, mainly on loose rocky climbs. They’re also quite heavy at 2050 a pair. I’m considering something lighter. But no other issues, they seem solid so far!

sgn23
    Free Member

The Superstar Element V6 wheelset @ £280 look good on paper with better engagement on the hubs than the DT 1900s and lighter.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/element-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Anyone using them?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Bit of a left-field choice, but I was impressed with the Bontrager Line30 comp wheels that came on my Slash. I upgraded them with the extra pawls, so pickup is near instant.

Had them on my Ibis hard tail with 2.4 rear/2.5 front and they suit well. I’m about 97kg at moment and hammered them through rocks and there’s not a mark on them!

They’re still on my hard tail that I’m thinking of selling, but having second thoughts as it rides really well (especially with those wheels).

Pyro

I’m in a similar boat with an upgrade to the wheels on my hardtail. At the moment it’s a toss-up between Hunt Trail Wide, a JRA build (either their own Traildog 30 or their hub on a Stans Flow) or a DT Swiss build from fitwheels.eu (probably 350 hubs on the 481 rims). Not totally made up my mind yet, all three seem to have their pros and cons…

bonobo
    Free Member

@PYRO, I got a set of 481 rims on the 350 hubs from Fitwheels a few months ago, they’ve been great.

Pyro

Cheers Bonobo – they look good, shame the exchange rate isn’t better at the moment :)

TheGhost
    Free Member

Bontrager Line30 comp wheels and upgrade the hub with the extra pawls.

Brilliant value. I’m running some on my 29er HT 150mm travel up front. They have held up well so far.

Probably best with 2.4 – 2.5 Maxxis. I tried 2.6 Schwalbes but they were too big for the 29mm internal rim width.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I have Hunt trail wides but I’ve been waiting over 2 months for a warranty replacement after a rim cracked (no rim strike just fatigue) I bought a pair of Sunringle Duroc 30’s off Decathlon (£165!)as a temporary set. It turns out they they are pretty great wheels and amazing value ! Check out the reviews.

d42dom

both Halo and Nukeproof have bought out cheaper wheelsets. Don’t know how good they are but the prices where good when I was looking

djflexure

Make sure your local wheel guy has spokes – my LBS has run out so 29er wheel builds are off the menu at present as suppliers have apparently run out.

I needed a new front and was going to go 350 hub with DT rims [which would have come from Germany as supply of many of the better 29er rims also seemed short]. Ended up buying a complete wheel instead – Mavic Deemax.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Budget/sensible 29 wheel choice’ is closed to new replies.