Home Forums Chat Forum Broil King bbqs?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Broil King bbqs?
  • joebristol

So my cheapie £150 Homebase 4 burner gas bbq is on its way out – I cleaned it yesterday and the flavour bars were disintegrating before my eyes. I’ve got 7 years out of it and it lives outside (under a cover) so I think it’s time for a new one.

Looking at Weber and Broil King – with the latter looking like better value for money. Budget max about £600.

The only Weber that looks like I’d want it for £600 is the Spirit Original e-310 (in a sale). The only downside is the 13kg patio has bottle I have doesn’t fit inside it.

With Broil King there are so many ranges – anyone got any idea of the main differences between the Crown / Royal / Monarch / Baron ones?

Looking for a 3 or 4 burner but not bothered if it has a side burner or not.

Before anyone tells me gas isn’t bbq-ing I’ve got a Webber Mastertouch Kettle I use for joints of meat etc 😃

LeeW

Broil King

For that kind of money I’d go for this Broil king, can’t tell you the difference between the ranges but they’re great for the money.

I use both gas and charcoal too.

hatter

Broil King seem to have a very good reputation, was in a similar position to you recently and was looking very hard at them.

However ended up ordering this Weber that seemed rather well priced with Costco

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Barbecues/Weber-3-Burner-Spirit-Premium-E-330-Gas-Barbecue-With-Sear-Station-Gourmet-Barbecue-System-Grate-Side-Burner/p/322641

It can take a 13kg cylinder too.

sam_underhill

I have a broil king after thinking I wanted a Weber. At the time it was a lot cheaper, but I think their prices in the UK have increased a bit since. There’s a place in Woking (gas center?) that I got mine from, I think they might be the UK importer. They are super friendly and helpful, worth contacting them for sure and discussing the model range with them.

joebristol

I suspect either Weber or Broilking will do the job. That one at Costco is astonishingly cheap compared to everywhere else – although I’m looking to stick down a 10% deposit probably and 0% finance it over a year to hold onto cash in the current environment – so I think Costco is out.

Tempted to go with a Baron or Signet as I think they are possibly better than the Monarch I’m terms of longevity but it’s a bit of a guess.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I have a Broilking. I got one of the big ones as it’s our main cooking implement. Seems well made, was a good bit cheaper than Webber and so far I’m really impressed. I’ve had it for a year and a half. All the bits are replaceable so you can get new bits if needed. Love mine. I use it for everything from smoking fish, pizzas, bread, curry and naan, sausges’n’burgers etc etc

hatter

The Three Brands that seemed to come up again and again when I was researching this were Broil king, Weber and Napoleon.

From much trawling forums and in comments sections, the consensus seems to be that almost everything else will either not last as long or not have the spares support.

Char Broil are meant to be O.K. if you look after them and don’t leave them outside.

joebristol

Thanks all – this will live outside under a bbq shelter I built a few years ago. My Weber kettle is fine with that – the Homebase stainless steel bbq hasn’t faired so well – although it’s really only the flavour bars that are terminal – although the drip tray needed some attention and will also fair at some point.

So it’s defo between Weber and Broilking as I want one to last.

lesgrandepotato

I’ve had a number of Weber’s, currently a kettle, a smokey mountain and a pair of 40idfs in the camper.

They are all well made. I’d happily buy again.

Pauly

I’ve got 2 Weber’s. Highly recommended.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I looked into it a lot and came to the conclusion that there isn’t much difference between the 3. I would get a Napoleon because there are some features I really want but they’re not easy to get here. Then it was Webber vs Broilking and it just seemed very similar quality. The Broilking was a nice size for what I wanted, rotisserie was something I wanted and the 5 burners is a good size for me. I think between the 3 brands you mention just choose what has the size / features / deal / availability you want.

FWIW I had a small issue with my thermometer, it just sort of exploded. I just wanted to buy a new bit but BK distributor (Spain) was fantastic and sent me a replacement FOC. I’m pretty sure it was a build error on my part and told them that.

joebristol

Cool – looking at deals at a few online shops it’s probably coming down to the Broil King Signet 320 and Baron 320/340. I think the signet is marginally better made inside (full cast alu and not cast alu with steel end) but they use the same burners.

joebristol

I wanted the Broil King Signet 340 but after measuring my current bbq and the space I’ve got it would make it a very tight fit in the space I’ve got.

So I’ve ordered a BK Baron 340 which is a bit shorter side to side – although the cooking space is a little smaller than I’d ideally like.

hatter

The Baron was right at the top of my shortlist until I got a deal on that Weber, looks like an excellent choice.

Researching this has taken me down a rabbit hole of grills, rubs and thick necked Youtube experts called Randy, just ordered a smoker box and some wood chips, this could get silly.

mogrim

Researching this has taken me down a rabbit hole of grills, rubs and thick necked Youtube experts called Randy, just ordered a smoker box and some wood chips, this could get silly.

This book is excellent for all that kind of thing:

(yeah, “Meathead” is a stupid name, but it’s well written and it’s not so American as to be irritating).

eruptron
    Free Member

@joebristol Weber. Has a 10 year warranty. Don’t know about Broil king. Also usually get a few accessories with the weber. Check out their site to see what they are at the mo. What about the Weber Spirit 11 E310? £540 with free cover https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/weber-spirit-ii-e-310-gbs.html
    I’ve got the Spirit 11 E210 and love it. none of those cheap thin metal panels.
    Also check what you buy most BBQ’s aren’t supposed to have the gas bottles inside.

joebristol

Some bbqs are designed to have the bottle inside – a few of the Weber ones hold one but only the 5kg bottles and I already have a 13kg one.

The only Weber one I could see that would hold it was the one linked a few posts up for about £735 which was a bit too expensive for me.

The broil king ones for the most part hold 13kg bottles inside them.

eruptron
    Free Member

I’ve got a 13kg bottle and it just sits on the side next to it. It’s under the shelf anyway. Can’t say it really bothers me. I don’t move it around much though. Gets used year round. Can certainly recommend the Weber Spirit 11 range.

joebristol

I’ve ordered the Baron from Broil Ling now. The cheapest Weber I liked was the one over £700 – mind you – that one was nicer than the Baron but it’s about £150 more expensive.

That said, the Weber Spirits are made in China these days, whereas the Broil Kings are still made in Canada / the U.S.

I’m very happy with my Weber 57cm Mastertouch charcoal bbq I have though to be fair. I don’t intend to smoke etc in the Baron – real charcoal cooked stuff definitely tastes better. I tend to put in mostly Weber Charcoal briquettes but add some lumpwood charcoal as well as it seems to smoke more.

hatter

Is that Meathead book good for someone with a gas grill? Half the books seem to work on the premise that you have a charcoal jobbie and access to an almost limitless wood supply.

If so then I’m sorely tempted

eruptron
    Free Member

Loads of stuff on youtube. Weber have some good stuff on their various channels from around the world. Buy some Angus and Oink rubs stick it on your wings then add some BBQ sauce. Lush haha.

joebristol

I quite like getting a leg of lamb and butterflying in, then mixing up some garamasala into natural yoghurt and coating the meat with it.

Then cook that on the charcoal bbq for a few hours on a low heat until it hits a cooked temperature.

I reckon you could do that on gas with a smoker box and it should still be good. You need to use indirect heat – so if you have gas light one end of the bbq and leave the bit of the bbq where the meat is with no burners lit under it. Leave the lid shut apart from halfway through turning the meat over.

theotherjonv

I reckon you could do that on gas with a smoker box and it should still be good. You need to use indirect heat – so if you have gas light one end of the bbq and leave the bit of the bbq where the meat is with no burners lit under it. Leave the lid shut apart from halfway through turning the meat over.

This – must have a go at that recipe mind – I’ve had good success with low n’ slow cooking on my gas weber with a smoker box, although it does need topping up for a long cook.

Charcoal does impart a something to the cook that it’s hard to define, smoker boxes can go some of that way, but also don’t neglect that a lot of the smoke from charcoal BBQ’s is not from the charcoal itself (if the coals are smoking it indicates that it isn’t hot enough yet) but from the cooking fats and juices dripping onto the coals or the burner covers. I think charcoal wins out on steaks in particular where you want searing heat on the outside to blacken it, and gas doesn’t quite get hot enough for me on that…. so if we’re having really decent steaks then I tend to get the charcoal one out, but if we’re just having burgers and chicken kebabs, etc., then the convenience of gas wins out.

joebristol

I used to use a smoker box with the gas but it was a cheap thing and also a cheap gas bbq. With the Weber I tend to setup charcoal briquettes at both side of the bbq with an area free in the middle with a drip tray in it. So most of the
    meat juice drips into that, but it must get hot and produce smoke.

You get a nice crust from the spicy yogurt after a few hours – really good. Nice with cous cous / salad / mango chutney 😃

mogrim

Is that Meathead book good for someone with a gas grill? Half the books seem to work on the premise that you have a charcoal jobbie and access to an almost limitless wood supply.

@hatter

Yes, he’s fine with gas – in fact there’s a section at the beginning all about choosing your BBQ, including all the pros and cons of gas vs charcoal vs smokers etc. He’s not a charcoal snob by any means!

joebristol

Gas can be pretty good tbh – the guy next door has a very fancy Weber genesis that was about £1500 I think and he’s got all the (ludicrously expensive) attachments for it like the pizza stone / Dutch oven thing (stupid name) / waffle griddle etc. His food generally tastes pretty good, but my charcoal Webber does edge it out 😝

toby1

a lot of the smoke from charcoal BBQ’s is not from the charcoal itself (if the coals are smoking it indicates that it isn’t hot enough yet) but from the cooking fats and juices dripping onto the coals or the burner covers

Fair point about the smoke generated overall, but for flavour, the smoke is from the fuel. Otherwise indirect smokers wouldn’t work, and places like Franklin BBQ wouldn’t get any smoke into their food, they are famous for their BBQ brisket, which always has a rich smoke ring in the meat and is always cooked indirect.

Hope the Broilking works out well joe, I’m sure it’ll grill food no matter what, but yeah charcoal will always taste that little bit smokier/more charred.

joebristol

@toby1 – cheers for that. I’m quite excited about the BK – gas is so much more convenient for just a few little bits of foods when there aren’t many of you around. Plus in the summer it means you can bbq when you get home from work really quickly.

Chimney starters are a game changer for charcoal, but with a full large one I still find it takes around 40 mins for all the coals to be white hot and ready to go.

joebristol

New Baron arrived this afternoon. Big box on a pallet onto the drive. Weighs 66kg on the paperwork. That’s quite heavy to move on my own!

chipster

Thread resurrection.
    It’s that time of the year again, our 14 year old gas barbecue went to the tip at the back end of last year. It’s now time to buy another.
    Looking at a Broil King Signet 340.
    I assume it’s the wrong time of the year for deals? (I must’ve looked too late last autumn, as they all seemed to be out of stock).

hatter

With everyone stuck at home and nice weather I think Covid hit the UK stock of BBQ’s about as hard as it did with bikes.

If you spot any bargains I’d move fast, Costco had some good deals on Webers this time last year but they vanished once Spring got going.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I bought a Weber 10 years ago and still looks shiny new despite being left outdoors permanently (under a cover).

Just as general advice, be careful with brushed stainless steel bbqs. It’s very hard to figure out what grade of steel you are getting. Weber’s used to be 304 stainless which will survive outside fine, maybe just the occasional buff to keep it shiny. Cheaper bbqs use lower grades, e.g. 430. It’ll require a bit more maintenance to keep looking good. Take a magnet with you to the shops, and if it sticks then it’s cheaper stainless steel.

Personally I went with the enamelled hood. It has remained spotless and is impossible to scratch – even taking a key to it won’t scratch it.

chipster

I came to the same conclusion, about all the stock being sold during the lockdown and decent summer.
    It looks like me paying rrp, at this time of year, for whatever we decide on.
    It’ll be an online purchase, so potluck, with the stainless steel quality, I’m afraid. Although, I’m hopeful that the decent brands might use the better quality materials. 🙄

cromolyolly
    Free Member

First suggestion? Buy new flavour bars? Mate who lives in the states has a 25 year cheapo bbq at his holiday cottage, just buys generic parts.

If you are going new these days I’d say broil king over Weber any day. Weber used to have a lifetime warranty on many parts, now long gone. The parts were well made and used quality metal. They have been gradually cheaping out, thinner sheet metal, cast iron bars that are half the weight they used to be etc.

The kids were double skinned and heavy, to retain even heat. Now that’s only true if you go for the upper level Genesis? Iirc. The lower end spirits are single skin, with lightweight castings.

Broild king to some degree do the same thing but are much cheaper. Weber are not worth the premium anymore.

Iirc the lowest series broil king has single skin lid, may not have cast iron cooking grid? Go for I think the next one up that has the double skin lid. It’s worth it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Broil King bbqs?’ is closed to new replies.