Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Brian Shul – Sled Driver
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Came across this video on YouTube today will looking for something completely unrelated. I know a few folks on here enjoyed reading ‘Sled Driver’ when it was going the rounds on PDF a couple of years back, so figured people might be interested in hearing him speak if they hadn’t done so before.

teesoo

Inspiring stuff. I’d heard the L.A. speed check story before, but hadn’t realised he’d gone down over Vietnam and been told that he would never fly again.

lowey

That was a great watch. What a life he lived.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I watched that thinking yep, I’ll know all this. I was wrong, a great watch and an impressive guy.

CountZero

Going to bed now, at 01.35, having just watched that all the way through! Good thing it’s Saturday today…
    Thanks for linking to it, it’s a great watch, he’s a fascinating bloke, and despite what he says, a superb photographer.
    Just wish I could afford a copy of the book. ☹️

beaker

I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned on here before but the Fight Pilot Podcast is worth a listen. They did an episode with Brian Shul here Fighter Pilot Podcast There are some great interviews here.

Kuco

I’ve read the LA speed check several times but hearing Brian Shull tell it is brilliant 🙂

P20

Finally got round to watching this. Loved it!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

I brought a copy of The Sled Driver nearly 15 years ago, and so glad I did (as they’re worth a fair bit now – around £300-500 each). One of my favourite things to leaf over and dream of being in one.

That video is nuts – would love to hear him talk; he does do speaking tours so worth checking his website out.

One of my favourite stories (can’t remember if its his of in Lt. Col. Grahams SR71 book) is the one of doing a flight tower flyby and dropping lower than expected and needing to use ALL the afterburners right in front a bunch of air cadets in order to avoid an unintended hard landing…

avdave2

That was a great watch, thanks for sharing it

MrSmith
    Free Member

Great video.
    A couple of years ago I purchased a near mint copy of The Untouchables off eBay. For £5.90 can’t believe I got lucky, the seller must have wondered what was wrong with the listing!?

would love to pick up a copy of Sled driver for the same price!

djflexure

Thanks enjoyed that

CountZero

would love to pick up a copy of Sled driver for the same price!

Once upon a time, it might have been possible to find a copy in a charity shop, if you were very lucky, but they’re onto things now and check online booksellers.

flange
    Free Member

Brian Shul is a legend. Thanks for posting that, really enjoyable watch

beamers

I’ve got a .pdf of Sled Driver which I’ve read a couple of times. A fantastic read.

I’d love to get a hard copy of the book. @Neil Bolton – I’m green with envy. Thanks for sharing those pics.

(Pdf copy here if anyone fancies a read.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Brian Shul – Sled Driver’ is closed to new replies.