Home Forums Bike Forum Brand new DHR II – Repairable sidewall slash?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brand new DHR II – Repairable sidewall slash?
  • munkiemagik
    Free Member

Slashed sidewall

Just slashed the sidewall of a brand new DHR II up at Haldon.

Do you guys think its repairable. Form the outside the slash is pretty long just over an inch and if its really stretched out (inner tube pumped up to 50psi) you can just start to see the thread underneath.

But from the inside the damage to the inner wall is not much at all, its just a few milimetres cut from the inside. Which Ive just now patched up with a large inner tube puncture repair patch.

I pumped the inner tube up against the repair to press and hold the patch overnight. at 50 psi is where you see the tyre stretching and the thread becomes visible as mentioned above, so ive lowered the psi again as dont want to strecth it out too much

Im wondering if that puncture repair patch will be strong enough to to hold though and whether I would be better off gluing a cut up patch of actual tyre to the inside.

I slashed right at beginning of ride somehow coming out of ‘ratrun’ but then stuck a tube in and rode for rest of the day all over Haldon including around the ‘enduro’ and ‘birds of prey’

Id rather try and go down the repair route as its a brand new tyre and bit miffed that Id have to replace it already.

Anyone in Exeter got a throwaway tyre I could cut a patch out of? Thanks

munkiemagik
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned the use of a pumped up inner tube, that’s just for purposes of setting the repair patch overnight as suggested in a thread on here somewhere. But will be (attempting to) run it tubeless again

transporter13
    Free Member

I’d be sewing that up with a decent sized needle and some strong thread, will last ages if done right. May need a thimble or a pair of pliers though😉
    Don’t ask me how I know

SirHC

Cut up an old tyre sidewall, stick that on the inside, going to be stronger than a patch.
    Did the same to an almost new Exo+ minion, patched and its ready to go again.

theotherjonv

if you don’t have a spare tyre sidewall, a patch (go substantially bigger) from a metallised foil package, like vac packed coffee – I mean STW, surely everyone has that! I have a couple in my back and my roadie phone bag, and they’ve saved me a couple of times at the road or trailside.

I don’t think it’ll hold air though unless you then go to town with a rubber patch over the top.

Littleman
    Free Member

I’ve actually repaired a dhr2 with a slash a little worse than that, and it’s held all last year with no air loss. I used a strong needle and linen thread (designed for leather apparently) and a tractor tube patch from my local agricultural garage (bought the vulcanising solution from there as well). I gave it a go as like you it was a new tyre (3 rides old) so thought it was worth spending £10 on some stuff to see if works.

As I said, it’s stayed up a treat so was worth it and I’ve got a spare patch and stuff as well in case. Might go double down next time though!

Littleman
    Free Member

Oh, patch on the inside of course, and a normal bike patch on the outside to protect the thread.

lillski74
    Free Member

Loads of good suggestions which I’ve also used for sidewall slashes but that’s a big one.

Personally I’d patch it up as described and keep as a spare for lighter trail duties

Depends what riding you plan on doing with that tyre but I wouldn’t fancy BPW etc on that tyre IMHO

asbrooks

I had one go right through a couple of years ago coming down sticks pass. I used some dental floss to stitch along the slash. Patched the inside with a bit of old tyre and patched the outer with one of those old foil tube patches. As said above use the vulcanising solution.

Lasted the season, tyre wore out.

munkiemagik
    Free Member

Thanks, i guess its time to get the old needle and thimble out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brand new DHR II – Repairable sidewall slash?’ is closed to new replies.