Home Forums Bike Forum Boardman ADV 9.0

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Boardman ADV 9.0
  • And my ever changing mood….

I have flirted with the idea of a gravel bike before and then dismissed it to the point of thinking they are ridiculous

And then, my current situation -I’m working in a particularly flat part of Essex at the moment (Maldon) and will be for 3-4 months, so I’m wondering if I’d get some use out of one.

Reviews seem positive. Geometry is described as fairly relaxed. Wondering with a stern flip if it would suit me – I’m definitely not an arse up, head down rider and have long legs = high saddle.

Any users give any feedback, or would there be better options for me out there? Not really interested in a 650b MTB with drop bars

Screenshot_20240117_102155_Chrome~2

alan1977
    Free Member

one of the GT’s on sale from that Edinburgh bike shop?

chakaping

I had the ADV 8.9 as my first gravel bike and it was awesome, would recommend to an MTBer.

I’d just say while this is gonna be a great bike and looks good value, it’s still 2×11 – and you might prefer a 1x bike?

Edit: Should be plenty of ADV 8.9s cheap secondhand on eBay if you wanna try and possibly sell on again.

one of the GT’s on sale from that Edinburgh bike shop?

What’s the selling point on a GT? I’m not getting much from that vague post 😂😉

it’s still 2×11 – and you might prefer a 1x bike?

My legs and lungs will thank me for 2x – especially as it may also get used back home

alan1977
    Free Member

I’d stick on2x if primarily road riding, much quicker

my 1x although it goes up hills nicely i can spin it out on the road

erm, the GT’s wherever the link is (in the PSA thread a few pages back perhaps?) are just nicely discounted

alan1977
    Free Member
    bedmaker

I’ve got the more basic model with 2×9 as a road bike.  Same frame and fork I think.

Perfectly decent bike,as most Boardman ally stuff tends to be.

I’m selling it as it’s done about 100 miles in the past year, my rigid 29er is my gravel bike as it’s just so much better on dirt IME.

stumpy01

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

My legs and lungs will thank me for 2x – especially as it may also get used back home

I originally thought this when looking at gravel bikes – 2x would give me better range for winching up climbs….erm, nope.

That Boardman has a low gear of 30-32.
    A typical 1×11 set-up will have a 40-42 low gear, which is virtually the same.

All you gain with 2x is closer spacing between ratios, which might be better for you on the road.
    Well, that and a higher gear for downhills.
    I was quite anti 1x on my Camino and then I tried it & realised it was fine. The ratios are a bit gappy and I’m normally a bit fussy about being in the ‘right’ gear. But, for some reason it bothers me less on the gravel bike, than I think it would do on my road bike.

I’ve always liked the look of those Boardman’s but imagine there are better deals to be had.

slowoldman

I originally thought this when looking at gravel bikes – 2x would give me better range for winching up climbs….erm, nope.

Shimano GRX 1×12 now handles a 10-51 cassette. Coming to a wall near you.

I’ve got the more basic model with 2×9 as a road bike.  Same frame and fork I think.

Perfectly decent bike,as most Boardman ally stuff tends to be.

This one’s carbon – 900g frame 420g fork

DaveP

I have the ADV9.4 for a year and I can’t think of anything to fault it.  I have put a carbon seatpost which made a surprising difference.  Got some 32mm road tyres on it and also had 45mm offroad tyres on it.

Actually, I take it back – the paint is pretty crappy (managed to drop an allen key on the downtube from say 10cm and it chipped the paint).

What sizes are folk running in the Boardman bikes? 5’11” with 33/34″ inside leg and everything is telling me I need a medium. Larger bikes usually suit me, but don’t want to be too stretched

sixtoes

If you’re mainly on road I’d get the 2x for the top end. 50/11 is quite different to 40/11.

chakaping

What sizes are folk running in the Boardman bikes? 5’11” with 33/34″ inside leg and everything is telling me I need a medium. Larger bikes usually suit me, but don’t want to be too stretched

5ft 8in on a good day, 28in inside leg – medium was spot-on for me.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I had a 8.8 for a few years in large and I’m 5’10. Never tried a medium but really enjoyed the bike so you might be happy on a large also if the geo isn’t radically different

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Boardman ADV 9.0s come with short stems.

I’m 5’10” with 32″ inside leg, my Cube Attain is 388mm reach, with 120mm adjustable stem and 75mm reach bars. I’d prefer the small adv 9.0 for the 515mm seat tube, but at 376mm reach, I’d have to fit a 130mm+ stem for similar bar position (although on gravel you wouldn’t normally want such a stretched position, I suspect the 80mm stem would feel too weirdly short).

I’d probably go medium.

Wished these had been available in summer ’20 when I needed a new bike.

DaveP

I am 5’8 and got a small.  Fits fine.  But does mean frame bags are almost a no go.  Have gone for a longer stem (and new bars – more flare).

alan1977
    Free Member

5’8 on an adv8.9e.. if the geo is the same..

i did bang flared bars on mine and took 10mm off the stem..

rockbus

I have a 8.9 adv and really like it.

sizing wise I’m 5ft 10 and 32” leg – tried large but felt it was slightly too stretched so have a medium which I’m happy with.

kerley
    Free Member

If you’re mainly on road I’d get the 2x for the top end. 50/11 is quite different to 40/11.

It is different but it may make no difference to a lot of riders who are bothered about pedalling downhill.

90rpm with 40/11 gets you around 27mph which most people won’t be doing on the flat. When I had a road bike I had it 1x with an 11-25 cassette and I loved it.

Well, I hit the button.

Expect to see a lightly used gravel bike in the classifieds in a few months 🤣

Don’t seem to be able to post any pictures, or do any text formatting, or do anything at the moment – but reduced to £1500 at Halfords, so went for it

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The newer adv 9.0 road, with 12-speed is also reduced, to £1600. Slightly different stack/reach at a quick look, compared to older gravel model.

chakaping

Great price, enjoy it.

You might wanna pick up some mudguards as well if you’re gonna ride it before summer.

fatface1
    Free Member

It might take some tweaking to get an ideal fit re: bars, stem etc. You may find the wider, more flared bars like those from Ritchey (eg Corralitos) to be more comfy.

Gravel bikes seem to be an in-between bike: not quite road and not quite MTB. Coming from MTBing background, you may prefer making it more MTBish than roadish.

I love my gravel bike (Nukeproof Digger). A lot of MTBers have tried the drop bar bike with chunky tyres and loved what they’ve opened up.

“Gravel bikes seem to be an in-between bike: not quite road and not quite MTB. Coming from MTBing background, you may prefer making it more MTBish than roadish.

I love my gravel bike (Nukeproof Digger). A lot of MTBers have tried the drop bar bike with chunky tyres and loved what they’ve opened up.”

I distinctly want to stay away from having a HT MTB with drops tbh. Will see how I go on with it stock. I may well hate it 🤣

rockchic
    Free Member

ADV 8.9,5ft10″,size medium. A couple of things i disliked. The gravel bars were far too wide for me and felt really cumbersome.Wheels.Really heavy and so draggy.£50 on ebay bought me a pair of as new Fulcrum 5’s for the road,and a 42cm bar that was kicking about in my garage.
    Fit is spot on and i would be quite happy being in the saddle for many hours.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

OP, those new Boardman ADV look great value. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Decent geometry and not some bastardised hardtail with drops and 650b wheels. 🤢

Nice to see a double chainset too 👌☺️

Happy days.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.