Home Forums Bike Forum Bird Aeris 9 or Trek slash 8

• This topic has 54 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Bird Aeris 9 or Trek slash 8
  • Stuart
    Free Member

I’m trying to make my mind up about these two bikes. I haven’t ever had top end forks/shock before and would be able to spec these on the Bird for similar money to the trek. Would I notice the difference with the suspension ? I know I should just test ride them but I don’t think I would glean anything useful over an hour or two as they would both be significantly better than what I’m riding at the moment.

weeksy

There’s not a lot in it between them in terms of geometry. Bird is longer reach, but you’d always expect that, as well as lower stack. But that’s what bird do with the long low slack setup.

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/compare?bikes=bird-aeris-am9-shimano-12-speed-2020,trek-slash-7-2022;*z.19%252e5%22|w.29

2022-10-08_09-40-47

chiefgrooveguru

If there was a Bird bike that ticked all the boxes for me in terms of geometry and components then I’d very seriously consider it – their customer service is outstanding and the bikes are well designed and well priced.

When it comes to MTB components, if you ride reasonably fast downhill then I think you feel the difference pretty obviously with better forks and shocks. I’ve never chosen top spec gears or wheels for my bikes but I do go for the best(ish) suspension and brakes.

chiefgrooveguru

Regarding the geometry, add 10mm of steerer spacers to the large Bird and it becomes effectively 632mm stack and 495mm reach.

benpinnick

The geo for the Aeris 9 looks like 160 geo. If you matched fork length you’ll end up very close as above.

johnjn2000

The Bird comes in beautiful Burple colour and the Trek doesn’t. Isn’t this enough?

1timmy1
    Free Member

I would try and get a demo on both as fit can differ when riding as they will sit in and use suspension differently. You could find one fits you better than the other even though on paper they are very similar.

I also have first hand experience of Birds fantastic customer service, so would recommend them as brand, they would look after you.

hopefiendboy

I’ve got a Trek Slash 8. It’s brilliant and i love it. I have nothing further to add 😂

zerocool

Get the Bird. They’re excellent bikes, look nice and the company is always getting good feedback. Plus you can have nicer suspension.

My vote is for the Bird

mrhoppy

The Bird looks nice but naff all availability by the looks of it if you’re after it any time soon.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 x remedys and a slash for the last 2 1/2 years . It’s a skills compensator for sure . I would previously do the usual black style GT stuff to riding all the Golfie type stuff. You wont regret buying the Trek , Im sure the bird is Good but I havent ridden one.

weeksy

I got offered a Slash in trade for my Fuel EX9.8 yesterday… The only downside was, it’s an XL and the reach looks MASSIVE compared to the Fuel… If it was an L, i’d have jumped at it… I really do like the way Treks are built/finished.

benpinnick

The Bird looks nice but naff all availability by the looks of it if you’re after it any time soon.

Larges in stock this week.

chakaping

What are the actual suspension components we’re talking about here?

Top end stuff can be great, but there’s not that much between Fox Factory/RS Ultimate and Fox Performance/RS Select+ in use. Some reviewers seem to favour the mid0range Fox stuff over the latest Grip 2 damper for normal riders anyway. But if you’re talking Yari or Domain vs. 38/Zeb then it’s a stronger case for the high-end stuff.

chakaping

Larges in stock this week.

How about MLs?

:)

JAG

OP – I assume you’ve narrowed your choice to these two bikes for a reason?

I was making the same decision earlier this year and someone on this very website suggested I check out the Airdrop Edit V4. I am now doing the same to you.

I eventually bought an Airdrop Edit V4 instead of either the Trek Slash or a Bird Aether. I am a very happy customer.

benpinnick

How about MLs?

🙂

Sold out until 2023 Im afraid. Not many L and XL left but there’s a few.

sharkattack

Get the Bird. I’m sold on them.

I’m 95% sure I’m having an Aeris or an Aether after I’ve had a chance to demo them at Hamsterley.

danposs86

Bird owner here, do I need to sing their praises a little more or has that been covered enough already in this thread?

Stuart
    Free Member

I’m going to demo the aeris 9 in November at hamsterley. I’m tempted by the slash as there’s some good deals on 2022 stuff at the moment (with lyric select) but I think I’d regret not waiting and getting with the bird with lyric/Zeb ultimates.

godzilla
    Free Member

The slash 8 is a really nice bike, the bike suspension has been downgraded for 23, theses guys have L at a great price.
    https://www.theedgecycleworks.com/product/1402/trek-slash-8/option/

Stuart
    Free Member

Thanks…..
    That’s not tempting at all !

weeksy

Pressed the button yet?

DougD

I’ve got an Aether 9, love it and can vouch for Bird being simply fantastic to deal with. The Aeris 9 looks awesome and if the size is right for you, looks like with some playing about you can spec one with Lyrik Ultimates and a Formula MOD coil for just under £3,400.

rudedog
    Free Member

Demo’d a Bird Aether ML at tweedlove and loved it. The YT Izzo was better though, just as good on the downs but felt better going up.

joebristol

That’s a tough choice. Sounds like if you’re a large frame then the Bird could be available if you’re quick, and so is the slash.

Slash 8 has a pretty decent Lyrik and super deluxe for £3k on that offer. However I don’t particularly rate bontrager wheels and tyres – and it says just a 100mm travel dropper (also 34.9mm size). Goes off to play with the bird site to see what could be done….

joebristol

Oooo, would go Bird I reckon. Not sure if this link will work to the spec I did or not. £3777 gets a black frame (sadly blue olé not in stock in large) with 180mm linkage / 180mm Zeb Ultimate / Formula coil shock / Pro4 hubs with ex511 rims / Formula Cura brakes / deore 12 speed with raceface cranks / Assegai and dhr2 tyres / whatever dropper length you fancy etc. also branded parts rather than Bontrager.

Aeris 9 – Shimano 12 Speed

sharkattack

That Slash is like a Toyota Corolla or something. I’m sure it’s fine but it’s so bland.

phil5556

That Slash is like a Toyota Corolla or something. I’m sure it’s fine but it’s so bland.

I agree. And whilst it should be all about how it rides and shouldn’t matter what a bike looks like, it kind of does matter 😁
    I’m eyeing up the Birds at the moment, I need to decide how much bike I want first though and then try and ride one.

sharkattack

People say looks and stuff shouldn’t matter but I don’t agree. We’re spending thousands and thousands of quid on these bloody things. They need to be stimulating in more ways than plain old practicality.

To me everything Trek do is just white bread or skimmed milk. I’d never buy one.

I’m not trying to sway the OP. You should buy whatever turns YOU on. If the look of a Slash flicks your bean just buy it.

weeksy

The funny thing is, Trek ride like that too, they’re the safe, easy and simple option. They’re the bike you jump on and don’t go “WOAH this is …..” It’s like getting in a Ford Mondeo, you just know what the buttons are going to do, where the switches are etc… The Trek rides like a bike… not a ‘different’ bike like some, but just a bike you get on and think “yeah that works” straight away.

Not all of them look dull too (i am biased of course)

2022-02-24_03-22-47 by Steve Weeks[/url], on Flickr

godzilla
    Free Member

The trek s 8 is way more than just Trek shaped bike, I’m not a Bird hater, I ride one, but put the Slash next to the Bird and it makes the Bird look agricultural imho, in frame storage is also a great feature, My riding buddy has one and it’s really nice, and very flattering, at 3k I’m hovering over the button myself.

Propane Tyee is also a lovely bike if you was to fiddle with Spec.

HobNob
    Free Member

The trek s 8 is way more than just Trek shaped bike, I’m not a Bird hater, I ride one, but put the Slash next to the Bird and it makes the Bird look agricultural imho, in frame storage is also a great feature

Sorry to the Bird man on here, but the above is the polite version of my response. There is no way I would pick a Bird over the current Slash. The only possible reason would budget, even then I’d rather go & find a way of making it happen.

benpinnick

Hey its no problem, each to their own! There’s plenty of options for everyone and plenty of everyone to go round the bike co’s.

dc1988

I think the Trek is a very nice looking bike, I agree the Bird’s are mostly a little agricultural looking in comparison but they have much more sorted geometry IMO and are much better value for money and options to spec the whole bike as you want it.

Fwiw, I own an Aeris 145 and love it, it just does the job without fuss

weeksy

but they have much more sorted geometry

Surely that depends on what bike, what model and what you’re going to use it for ? Along of course with what rider.

dc1988

To a certain extent, but Trek have had seat tubes that are way too long for years so it never have the option of sizing up. Trek geometry is better now but they took a while to get there(as did most other big brands who also played it safe).

Blackflag
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with a bike that just works. It means the bike is doing its job properly.

chakaping

The Slash has great geometry and so does the Bird.

The adaptability of the Bird is very appealing to me (it can run a different linkage for 180mm rear travel and mullet option in future) and I think they’ve got their aluminium frames looking pretty good in a form+function kind-of way.

It’s a well-proportioned alu frame, it comes in raw and it’s sort of “everything you need and nothing you don’t need”.

I’ve ridden the carbon Slash a bit. Awesome bike which is neutral in a different way to older Treks (including the previous Slash). It’s very calm and the chassis feels better damped than most bikes. Easy to ride fast. I reckon they’ve really worked on the ride feel. Dunno if this all translates to the alu version.

weeksy

Trek also has the Mino link which gives it the potential to run as a mullet using the high setting on the Mino and a 27.5 rear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.