Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bikepacking tarp question
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Do any of you use poles to erect a tarp whilst bivying? If so, what?

whitestone
    Free Member

It would depend on where you are pitching TBH. Sometimes you need them, other times you can use the bike or a wall or tree.

Stuart at Bear Bones Bikepacking http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/pages/contact.html#poles will make up a set for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course trees etc, but as we know there often aren’t any. The poles would be for this eventuality 🙂

breninbeener

Stuart on BearBones has some lovely carbon poles at the mo.

jameso

Depends on the tarp shape, some need them it seems, basic rectangular ones less so. I tend to use the bike, tarp cord across the bars and 2 pegs to keep it upright, set up tarp from saddle and bar. Poles are useful to have tho, got one of the BB 70cm ones as it tucks into the frame bag so easily.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d prefer to take a couple of light poles than faff around with the bike tbh. Appeals to my sense of neatness.

I use a 3m x 3m or a 5m x 5m tarp when car camping though, coupled with a small 4 man tent. It’s a great way to set up a camp 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’ve always used a tree or a branch or both…

jameso

Appeals to my sense of neatness.

😀
    ^ That set-up appeals to my ability to loose things or leave them behind – can’t lose the bike!

Some good ideas here http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/tarps-come-in-waters-lovely.html

oliverracing

I prefer to use the bike with a tarp setup like a ridge rent, front wheel out to support the lower end and over the saddle to support the higher end, I put the bike at 45degrees to the tarp so I can get out the end. I like this setup as I can use trees in the place of either bit of the bike. I haven’t tried it with poles but I am tempted to try the barebones poles but think I’d need to rethink my pegging out method as I rely on the stability of the bike for it.

AlexSimon

This probably wont appeal to you, but I tend to take a good knife and look around for something nearby to use.
    If I really know there are no trees nearby, I’ll use the bike or wheels.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

I’ve got some of Stu’s alu poles and think they’re great. As above he’s got some carbon ones going cheap at the mo. I have used the bike in the past but prefer the poles – it’s neater, easier and faster to pitch up and I can still ride the bike afterwards should I want.

You can get some nice setups with a 3x3m tarp – well worth the extra bit of weight if its raining/really windy

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I knocked up my own tarp based on the Alpkit design, using the front wheel to lift one end

More here

scotroutes

I usually use the bike. Upended so it’s supported by bars and saddle and then a guy over the bottom of the forks. Very much depends on what way you want to pitch your tarp though. Flying V works for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m feeling more optimistic lately about being able to get out and do something this year…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I use poles, if there are trees you can use the poles to get fancy with a rectangular doir etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking tarp question’ is closed to new replies.