Home Forums Bike Forum Best road tyre for 29er?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best road tyre for 29er?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Mate after some for commute to work…what’s the go-to tyre for faster road rides amongst the STW massive?

crashrash

I like the Schwalbe Big Apple for road stuff on the MTB – big enough you don’t look too daft and decent rolling resistance, though not exactly a racing tyre!

scaredypants

fastest commute, averaged up, is the one that “can’t” involve a puncture

some variant of a Schwalbe Marathon or similar

downhillfast
    Free Member

Schwalbe Big Apple work for me. Never had a puncture with them either.

Have a spare set for sale at the moment too 😉 (unused).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Funny, not seen many pros riding Big Apples in the grand tours 🙂

OP you can fit any road tire that is narrow enough – hence there’ a massive choice.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

proper road tyres on 29er rims can be VERY tight – e.g Conti 4Seasons

You’re better off with a slickish 29er tyre, like a thunderburt or equivalent, in my experience.

mariner
    Free Member

Depends on your rims. A ‘slick’ gravel/touring tyre would work.

I have got BA2s same volume as my MK2s without the noise and with protection.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

28mm Grand Sport Race, measures ~31mm in real world on 20mm internal rim width.

Not tried them, but tempted to buy a pair of folding 28mm Ultra Sports for ~£20.

philjunior
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathon supreme.

Could go faster if you’re less bothered about punctures, or even try tubeless although I’m not sure how MTB rims would cope with road tubeless, and you don’t want it going wrong.

lovewookie

I use the lifeline commuter tyres, think they’re 32c, but have puncture resistant strip and aren’t massively heavy.

they also do a thinner one too, if that’s your thing.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I just got two Schwalbe Hurricanes.

They were in stock at ChainReaction, but I don’t know if they still are.

I don’t know what they’re like, either, cos they’re still in the bag downstairs. But I got them for a 100-mile tarmac ride next week. I’m using tubes cos my tubeless skillz are zero.

thorpie
    Free Member

I use Conti X-King Protection, spot on and fast rolling.

epicyclo

cynic-al

…Funny, not seen many pros riding Big Apples in the grand tours

Not seen many STWers who can ride at pro speeds either. 🙂

Their only disadvantage is aero, so if you’re not trying to ride everywhere at 25mph, they’re great.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve been using Schwalbe G One 29*2.35 set up tubeless on some DT Swiss xc rims on my ti hard tail.

Great fun tyres- can rattle down stairs, over rocks or kerbs without worrying. I’ve even been round some (dry) red and black trails with them.

But I’m also averaging 14mph on long distance road rides – same as my cx bike and 35mm gravel kings.

I really rate the balloon tyres

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best road tyre for 29er?’ is closed to new replies.