Home Forums Bike Forum Best place to locate a Turbo Trainer?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Best place to locate a Turbo Trainer?
  • Alex

Not so much a humblebrag, more a necessity. If the turbo wasn’t ready to go, I wouldn’t go at all. No way I’ve the patience to drag it out of some corner and set it up for an hour, only to put it back again!Fair play if you do that, but I’d rather, er, go jogging or something.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mines in the summer house, it’s a slight faff getting the warmup right but otherwise the lest faff option. The only way to make turbo training palatable is to eliminate the faff. I’m now considering putting a PC in the shed just avoid the faff with connecting the laptop to the TV, sensors etc. It’s an expensive way to save 5 minutes!

Leaving electronics in a cold but dry building is fine. It’s only an issue if you bring cold electronics into a warm room which leads to condensation on components.

Dickyboy

I’m thinking of getting some rollers, then once warmed up use the remote to open up the garage doors to keep the moisture & temps down – good idea or not? Could use a fan to aid air movement too..

Alex

can’t help you with rollers. Every time I look at them, I’m thinking well catapulting myself into that window is going to be a miserable experience, even compared with the turbo ;)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

can’t help you with rollers. Every time I look at them, I’m thinking well catapulting myself into that window is going to be a miserable experience, even compared with the turbo 😉

Even if you manage to ride off the side of them, you’ve not got any momentum, you just fall over.

I’d not advise using them with any sort of zwift or riding video though. That’s the only time I’ve come close to falling off subconsciously trying to follow the corners! Fine for workout programs just following a graph (or erg mode if you have fancy rollers) though.

Tossup which is more tolerable, Z2 rollers or z2 zwift though.

scud
    Free Member

Definitely garage, and ideally an old bike you can leave on there.

I have an old fleece jacket i have for turbo, wear it for warm up, then off for main effort, and sometime back on to cool down., usually wearing just a thin base layer even when it is freezing outside

For me, turbo is for doing the hard, shorts efforts in the week, then leave the zone 2 work for longer riders outside at weekend, unless weather is really poor…

luper
    Free Member

If you have a garage, it is probably the best option. Start cycling and you will start feeling warm in a few mins, it is like running in cold. the beginning is hard and then you just can’t stop how good it is in cool weather. Also maybe do some research on the indoor cycling apps, which will suit you best, that can bring you even more motivation. I’m using Rouvy for the possibility to ride real-life routes and cannot complain about the winter trainings anymore.

garage-dweller

I googled this for an air resistance non smart trainer.
    Apparently the what 3 words location is:   metal.recycling.bin 🤔

I used to have it in our garden cabin thing. Chilly to start but soon warmed up a bit. It used to be I stored my road bike in it for ease.  Maybe if I had had internet down there then and not bought something that would drown out the noise of Concorde taking off at 60rpm it would still be there and not in the corner of the tool shed stopping me opening a cupboard.

breadcrumb

Cold garage and a big fan. 

BigJohn

I’m torn between the “large appliances” or “scrap metal” sections at our local tip.

midlifecrashes

Cold garage and a big fan.

IMG_0062

I’ll just have the cold garage on its own, thanks.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Rear conservatory for me and turbo set up 7-8 months of the year so I can just hop on.

The conservatory pvc doors have pull out fly nets (previous Australian owners, seems standard there) so I have doors open, fly nets pulled across even when its been -5c outside. Cold to start but I very quickly warm up and the open doors limit the condensation.

Its also a nice bonus to turbo whilst looking across the garden. Fortunate that it’s a rather lovely space so theres an inkling of being out amongst the trees.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.