Home Forums Chat Forum Best Movie Trilogy

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Best Movie Trilogy
  • ali69er
    Free Member

I always thought there was some rationale for once upon a time in the west, once upon a time in America and a fistful of dynamite but can’t remember what it is.

The final scene in once upon a time in the west with the hanging is possibly the greatest visual on film. I still remember the first time I saw it.

jim25

Lethal weapon

SaxonRider

@cb200 nailed it on the first page.

I LOVE Kieślowski‘s work!

EDIT: Oh, and Wim Wenders’ Road Trilogy, including ‘The Wrong Side’ is superb.

hugo
    Free Member

Star wars is a decent romp but nothing beyond Indiana Jones for me.

For Sci-fi, I’d put Alien(s) on top as a trilogy.

Left field shout as not strictly a trilogy, or films, but something that truly fits having three different stories with the same characters in 3 different times/situations would be This is England film and three series.

aP
    Free Member

In The Heat of the Night, They Call Me Mr Tibbs, and To Sir With Love (admittedly the weakest film in the trilogy).

RustySpanner

Yep, Three Colours.

Watched them again recently for the first time since they came out. Still wonderful.

And yes to Wim Wenders, but I’d just watch Wings of Desire 3 times. I love the road movies, but………

breadcrumb

It’s been a while since I watched them but

Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    Army of Darkness

jd13m
    Free Member

probably pushing it a bit but since we’ve allowed the dollars trilogy….

Seven Samuri
    Yojimbo
    Sanjuro

maccruiskeen

The taking of Pelham 1

The taking of Pelham 2

The taking of Pelham 3

tpbiker
    Free Member

Jaws, jaws 2, jaws 3…the last of these was so good they made it in 3d..

Ok, in all seriousness..the first 3 Indiana Jones movies are hard to beat..followed by star wars.

Kuco

IP Man

anagallis_arvensis

Rocky
    Rocky 2
    Rocky 4

Kuco

Rocky 3 better than Rock 4. I pity the fool who thinks otherwise.

anagallis_arvensis

Rocky 3 better than Rock 4. I pity the fool who thinks otherwise.

Rocky 4 is second only to Rocky, has to be in

Kuco

I’d actually go Rocky 1,3,4 and drop 2.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh dear me, STW. A series of four or more films with some missed out ISN’T a trilogy.

Anyway.

Time Bandits
    Brazil
    The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen

beej

Jaws has got the biggest difference between the best and a worst of any series of films, based on my IMDB ratings research. 8.0 for the original, 3.0 for Jaws: The revenge (36th worst rated film on there).

tpbiker
    Free Member

Jaws has got the biggest difference between the best and a worst of any series of films, based on my IMDB ratings research. 8.0 for the original, 3.0 for Jaws: The revenge (36th worst rated film on there).

Jaws is my favourite film ever. Jaws 4 is amongst the worst films I have ever seen. Jaws 3 is barely any better.

I will argue strongly that jaws 2 however isn’t actually a bad film at all. Far inferior to the original, but can stand on its own as a film I reckon.

chestrockwell

Yeah, Jaws 2 was a decent effort and made me j7mp as a kid.

benpinnick

Rogue one, New Hope and Empire strikes back is a far far away better trilogy.

cookeaa

Robocop, Robocop 2 and then as we’re skipping any sub par entries in favour of something else… Ummm, Weekend at Bernies?

That would actually make a good evening’s viewing…

funkmasterp

If only they’d make a Weekend at Bernie’s 3. The corpse would be a little too ripe though.

nickc

There’s too many inconsistencies in the BTTF trilogy to make it enjoyable.

trailwagger
    Free Member

What about….

Life of Brian
    Holy Grail
    Meaning of Life

??

anagallis_arvensis

Rogue one, New Hope and Empire strikes back is a far far away better trilogy.

Watch out the fun police will be after you!!

Having said that you clearly dont like happy endings anyway.

Cougar

First Blood, First Blood PtII, Rambo III

Doesn’t the Rambo series follow the form of Alien and The Terminator?

First film: taught, dark, psychological drama / horror.
    Second film: big-budget action blockbuster.
    Third film: abject shit.

(disclaimer, I don’t think I’ve seen Rambo 3, if I have it was a very long time ago)

funkmasterp

First Blood is a brilliant film and then the rest are pure bobbins. Third one is a brilliant bad movie though

scaredypants

pffft – playing at it

The horsebox gangbang series every time
    In fact you could easily argue that HBGB IV – “my fist time” is even better than the first three

colournoise

First film: taught, dark, psychological drama / horror.
    Second film: big-budget action blockbuster.
    Third film: abject shit.

Works for the Cornetto Trilogy too!

(although The World’s End is just way weaker than the other two rather than being truly abject shit)

DezB
    Free Member

Spy Kids… if you have a kid to watch them with, like I did.

3 films vaguely directed\written by the same person does not make a trilogy!

hugo
    Free Member

Seeing others suggestions, I’d like to second some of them:

Bourne

Rocky 1, 4, Creed

As a bit of a Paul Verhoeven fan, I’d nominate this very topical trilogy of satires about future society:

Total Recall
    Robocop
    Starship Troopers.

Followed by a double bill of Basic Instinct and Showgirls, naturally.

Also, as two are novellas from the same book (Different Seasons, Stephen King, read it yesterday), and a full King novel, then this is a random shout:

Stand by Me
    Green Mile
    Shawshank

molgrips
    Free Member

Three films you like mentioned together is not a trilogy!

crazy-legs

Cornetto trilogy sadly let down by a half-baked finale. Wanted to love World’s End as it was filmed in my old stamping ground and I love movies like Bodysnatchers and Stepford Wives, but it was a big disappointment.

Yeah, remove World’s End which was shit and replace it with Paul which is very funny.

hugo
    Free Member

trilogy

noun

a group of three related novels, plays, films, etc.

3 films by the same Director, in the same genre, with the same focus of political satire, counts.

As does 3 films from stories by the same author, especially when two are linked by being prison stories, two are from the same book and all are told through flashback, use of narration and examine topics of crime, guilt, innocence, race and justice. All are set in mid 20th century America with SBM and Shawshank overlapping.

The beauty of art is that it’s the watcher that gets to decide what they think. It doesn’t have to be Toy Story 1,2 and 3 to count.

Blackflag
    Free Member

My two cents…

The Before trilogy: Sunrise, Sunset & Midnight

The Spaghetti Eastwood / Leone trilogy: Fistfull, Dollars More, TG TB & TUgly

Toy Story 1,2 & 3 (and 4!!)

The Vengeance trilogy: Mr Vengeance, Old Boy, Lady Vengeance (if you havent seen these, stop reading this a get on it!!)

The Three Colours trilogy

The original Star Wars (but only through my 6 to 12 year old eyes as Jedi doesn’t hold up too well)

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Best Movie Trilogy’ is closed to new replies.