Home Forums Chat Forum Best Movie Trilogy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Best Movie Trilogy
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

I fancy a movie marathon, and inspired by the recent best scene/stunt type threads what are your favourite trilogies? Must be three solid movies, not a “first was great, second was ok, third one was pants” type trilogy.

Do they exist?

chakaping

Jackass is probably the most consistent movie trilogy.

Or maybe Toy Story.

Cougar

Star Wars IV-VI (original trilogy).

twistedpencil

Star Wars, Empire, Jedi

Back to the Future

Indiana Jones, just the first three :-)

Infernal Affairs – this is the best of the lot

boombang
    Free Member

Cornetto trilogy? Not much to tie them together bar actors but 3 films I really like.

Sean of the Dean, Hot Fuzz, The World’s End

kayla1
    Free Member

Star Wars IV-VI (original trilogy).

/thread

zilog6128

Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy (might do that myself actually, not seen them for years – hoping they still hold up!)

Mad Max, Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome (Thunderdome just scrapes into the “not pants” category 😃)

Caher

Lord of the Rings.
    Batman.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Die Hard (1, 2 and 4. Give three a miss. We dont talk about five.)

Rules be damned! 😀

tinytim

Lord of the Rings, directors extended cut: Fellowship of the Ring / 2 Towers / Return of the King

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Alien 1 2 3

ElShalimo

Godfather I, II, III

tomparkin

Back to the Future, of course!

Must be three solid movies, not a “first was great, second was ok, third one was pants” type trilogy.

Oh, hang on…

johndoh
    Free Member

Back to the Futu…

Ohh wait, the third one was shit.

johndoh
    Free Member

LOL @tomparkin – exactly the same thought 😂😂😂😂😂

gonefishin
    Free Member

Die Hard (1, 2 and 4. Give three a miss. We dont talk about five.)

Eh? 1 & 3 are the only decent ones. 2 & 4 contain the same ridiculous error (massive explosion that cannot actually happen) that I cannot accept them as being any good.

The answer as previously given is Toy Story. Three practically perfect films with not ropey one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Austin Powers?

ElShalimo

@gonefishin – given your incredulity towards Die Hard 2 & 4, are you aware that Toy Story is not a documentary?

franksinatra

maybe Toy Story.

Maybe? What do you mean maybe? Toy Story is amazing

richmtb

Toy Story is a great shout

You can’t really go wrong with:

Original Star War Trilogy
    Indiana Jones
    Lord Of the Rings
    Bourne (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum)
    Chris Nolan’s Batman

I’ll also stick up for Back to the Future. 2 and 3 are perfectly good films its just that the first one is exceptional

dudeofdoom

Now heres a real blast from the past that I’m planning on binging.

A fistful of dollars,A few Dollars More,The Good,The Bad And The Ugly.

jekkyl

Blade or Bourne

gonefishin
    Free Member

given your incredulity towards Die Hard 2 & 4, are you aware that Toy Story is not a documentary?

It’s the lack of internal logic that annoys me. Toy story is set in a fictional universe where toys come alive, fine. See also Star Wars, Serenity, indeed any other SciFi. As long as the internal logic is consistent that’s fine. Die hard is set in our “universe” and governed by our physical laws. The first plane crash in Die Hard 2 explodes on impact despite being “as dry as a martini” according to the pilot so what exploded? Ignoring the fact that aviation fuel is difficult to get to burn never mind explode, there wasn’t any on that plane! A similar issue with 4 where there is an explosion in a gas pipeline. Where did the oxygen come from? Issues such as these bother me in films.

Also as good as die hard is Toy Story is better.

Scream could also have been a contender until they made the 4th one which totally ruined the premise of the third.

IHN

Police Academy 6, 7, 8

DezB
    Free Member

Got to agree with Chakaping. Toy Story nearest to 3 decent films.
    Godfather 3 is rubbish.
    Alien 3 is utterly terrible
    Terminator –
    I’d go for Terminator, T2 and Rise of The Machines, just about scrapes through.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The first plane crash in Die Hard 2 explodes on impact despite being “as dry as a martini” according to the pilot so what exploded?

One of the passengers was a suicide bomber who lost his nerve.

Ironic, innit.

martinhutch

Bourne Trilogy.

DezB
    Free Member

A fistful of dollars,A few Dollars More,The Good,The Bad And The Ugly.

Good call, Ive done Fistful & the Good The Bad … the last 2 weekends.
    Surprised thats the order, Clint looks younger in the last one! 😂

gonefishin
    Free Member

Original Star War Trilogy

Jedi is weak.

Indiana Jones

Temple of doom isn’t up to much.

Lord Of the Rings

FFS pick an ending! but a fair shout.

Bourne (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum)

That’s not a bad shout.

Chris Nolan’s Batman

Could be that the first two were so good but I didn’t get on with the third.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A fistful of dollars,A few Dollars More,The Good,The Bad And The Ugly

Been doing that very thing of late. Added Fistful of Dynamite, High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josie Wales to the list.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Lego movies

martinhutch

Temple of doom isn’t up to much.

I loved Temple of Doom!

First one never really recovered from it being pointed out that Indiana Jones has zero influence on the outcome of the story. :)

finishthat
    Free Member

My current favourite :
    Swedish crime trilogy , great characters good story .

easy money
    easy money II – hard to kill
    easy money III – Life DeLuxe

Cougar

I considered LotR but dismissed it because I thought it was four films, but it’s not, is it. Oops.

Alien 1 2 3

I know some people like it, but I thought Alien Cubed was dreadful. I rewatched all four a few years back and it didn’t change my mind any. Rendering the entire Aliens movie completely pointless in the first five minutes, there’s no forgiveness to be had here, no coming back from that one.

richmtb

FFS pick an ending! but a fair shout.

A fair comment! The other thing that stands in the Lord Of the Rings way is the sheer bloody length of it. Even the theatrical cut is close to 10 hours!

Toy Story is still probably the best suggestion so far

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ll also stick up for Back to the Future. 2 and 3 are perfectly good films its just that the first one is exceptional

We have a regular Saturday Night Film and Pizza Night at our house (with two 11 year old girls) and I chose the original last weekend as we have now run out of Descendants/Fantastic Beasts type of movies to endure enjoy. For the first few minutes they were like ‘what on earth is this rubbish’ but by the end they absolutely adored it and they both want to watch BTTF II this Saturday.

Sorted :-)

zilog6128

Die hard is set in our “universe” and governed by our physical laws.

is it? who says? Could be set in Harry Potter land for all we know, no-one ever states otherwise!! I think you’d have to trawl pretty hard to find an action movie that genuinely reflects reality. Especially one that has ANYTHING to do with computers. Or any film where someone gets shot then goes flying backwards 😃

Toy story is set in a fictional universe where toys come alive, fine. See also Star Wars

Star Wars specifically implies that it’s set in our universe during the opening credits.

It might be that, a lot of the time, a film is just fantasy and you have to suspend your disbelief a little bit…

perchypanther
    Free Member

First one never really recovered from it being pointed out that Indiana Jones has zero influence on the outcome of the story.

Killed the pilot and blew up the plane that the Ark going to be flown to Berlin in.

Indy saved Hitler and indirectly caused World War 2.

cb200
    Free Member

Not quite so action packed as some of the suggestions, but all this talk of a trilogy has made me dust off the three colours DVDs for a watch. Great stuff!!

gonefishin
    Free Member

I think you’d have to trawl pretty hard to find an action movie that genuinely reflects reality. Especially one that has ANYTHING to do with computers. Or any film where someone gets shot then goes flying backwards 😃

Doesn’t have to be reality but does have to be consistent with it’s internal logic . They are small hills I agree but they are ones upon which I am prepared to die. ;)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Best Movie Trilogy’ is closed to new replies.