Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bespoke suits – northern England
  • continuity
    Free Member

I’ve persuaded myself I need to replace the ageing suit I was bought at 18. I have enough money to buy something reasonably nice – although I wouldn’t if I lived in London.

Does anyone have any experience of any really good tailors – I’m Yorkshire based – and have only really seen Michelsberg in Leeds thus far? I’m not interested in sending off my measurements on the internet to East Asia for a sweatshop.

Hand sewn, full canvas, super 150s, working buttons etc…

frankconway

Des Merrion – if you can afford him.
    I’m now in Lincoln and recommend Andrew Musson but that may be too far away for you.

tomhoward

Rhodes Wood in Harrogate are very good.

continuity
    Free Member

I would also consider really nice mtm with decent fabrics if well thought of

igm

Filed

midlifecrashes

If you don’t mind it being made in the far east there’s Paul Bain and Cock of the Walk in Hull.

reeksy

My Dad used to get a suit each year from Alan Thornton in Bradford. For my 21st I went with him to the mill to choose fabrics and then had the suit made. It was very reasonably priced and Alan was amazing, doing a lot of the work on sight. Still have the jacket and wish I’d had two pairs of trousers made.

Looks like he may still be doing a bit of work: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19636044.alan-thornton-78-comes-retirement-ik-collections/

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Take a day trip to London you have so much choice.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I’ve had two suits made by James at Michelsberg Tailors, one in pinstripe dormeuil Amadeus wool and one in a thornproof tweed. In both cases James was a pleasure to deal with and he’s an absolute perfectionist. Highly recommended!

continuity
    Free Member

@freeandsingle I looked at Michelsberg but couldn’t work out where the cutting was done etc – really good online presence, good choice of fabrics etc but wondered if like a lot of mtm they end up just being a fancy front end for an Asian cutting house or even somewhere like antich over in Huddersfield (anyone any experience?)

dave661350
    cheekyboy
    Free Member

Speak to the Lads in Hebden Bridge, they may be in for a prototype denim or moleskin suit.

andybrad

anthich stared at a grand, how much would people normally pay for a tailored suit?

mjsmke

Recently got a bespoke suit from Moss Bros and very happy with it. Loads of options. Almost too many.

konagirl
    Free Member

“How much would people normally pay for a tailored suit?” That depends if you want hand-made to your measurements and made in the UK, or made elsewhere where labour is far cheaper. For the vast majority of people, an off-the-peg suit adjusted to your measurement is just fine. Slaters is a chain but very good at the tailoring adjustment, if you can find a suit you like. If you want a bespoke and hand-stitched suit of the best material then a £1000 starting price is probably fair given the cost of material in the UK and UK skilled labour costs.

tomhoward

Speak to the Lads in Hebden Bridge, they may be in for a prototype denim or moleskin suit.

Or the factory that makes their stuff for them.

frankconway

Starting price (outside london) for true bespoke in a mid-range fabric with basic lining is c£2k for 2pce.
    I referred to Des Merrion in an earlier post – his starting price for 2pce is £3.5k

mj27
    Free Member

I know a few people that have used Antich & sons in Huddersfield. As their website says ‘weave to wear’, they do the whole process from end to end.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Recently got a bespoke suit from Moss Bros and very happy with it. Loads of options. Almost too many.

Did you? Moss Bros don’t do bespoke tailoring, there is a big difference between bespoke/MTM/RTW.
    unless you had an in person measure, individual pattern cut, baste fitting, second fitting etc you had MTM.

midlifecrashes

If you don’t mind it being made in the far east there’s Paul Bain and Cock of the Walk in Hull.

I’d just like to clarify my poor joke, I believe both of these manufacture in house, in the far east of Yorkshire, not Asia. I’ve not used them myself but my brother, a Hullite has.

continuity
    Free Member

@mj27 any idea how they compare to Michelsberg?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.