Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ben Alder Circuit
  • balfa
    Free Member

Can anyone offer any route advice on this one? Doesn’t seem to come up too much.

Is the best route done via the Bealach Cumhann then Bealach Breabag with what looks like a horrendous hikeabike? Has anyone ridden along the shores of Loch Erich to/from Ben Alder cottage as an avoidance of the hikeabike? It looks suspiciously like a bogfest!

Waderider
    Free Member

Bealach Breabag is better than the loch shore. You’ll pick up a well engineered hill track to Culra, even if it is broken by water bars.

As you come over the saddle below Lancet edge before Bealach Cumhann look out for the remains of a Wellington Bomber.

It is getting to the time of year where the weather forecast and conditions on the ground are very important before getting the bike out for this sort of trip.

Garry_Lager

The hike up from the cottage is a serious ballache, or it was for me. Close to 500m vert ascent IIRC, and it’s too steep to really push the bike for a large part. And the descent off the other side isn’t even that special.

But you still have to do it. Part and parcel of what is an epic ride, ye cannae be mincing round the Lochside and say you’ve done the Ben Alder circuit.

Once up the Breabag, you’re handy for a wee walk up to the summit of Beinn Bheoil if you fancy it. The views must be superb – we didn’t bother with it because the mist was down.

coogan
    Free Member

The hike up from the cottage is a serious ballache, or it was for me. Close to 500m vert ascent IIRC, and it’s too steep to really push the bike for a large part. And the descent off the other side isn’t even that special.

The worse section of ‘biking’ I have ever done. Hated every moment of that section.

balfa
    Free Member

It is getting to the time of year where the weather forecast and conditions on the ground are very important before getting the bike out for this sort of trip.

I was thinking that. From photos it looks like fairly well armoured stalkers paths for the most part. Are there other sections more prone to damage?

hairyscary

coogan – Member

The worse section of ‘biking’ I have ever done. Hated every moment of that section.

Here’s a wee reminder for you Vosh 👿

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jocarda1/sets/72157600940047315/

coogan
    Free Member

*runs screaming from the room*

bullroar
    Free Member

As a slight aside, if one carried on west from the Beaclach Dubh along the side of Uisage Labhair it would give access to Loch Ossian and beyond. Is the section by the Labhair rideable or an unremitting few klicks worth of bog?

Waderider
    Free Member

Is the section by the Labhair rideable

Not nice to walk even. There is one redeeming feature – about 300 yards of singletrack near the bottom of the glen. That in a length of about 7 or 8 km (I think).

Balfa, here’s a clue, the problem in winter isn’t the quality of the paths.

13thfloormonk

I’ve got to Loch Ossian from Ben Alder cottage, but the long way round. You can follow the shore of Loch Ericht to the bottom of the loch (mostly boggy trudging) before picking up a fireroad to the Loch Rannoch road (the fireroad is quite broken by large, locked gates unfortunately).

From there you can pick up the ‘road to the isles’ to Loch Ossian. The road to the isles is also quite boggy, but mostly rideable.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Long day & not much good riding, Kenny ‘effin WIlson gained his middlename that day.

I’m sure there’s some on here would think it was a marvellous day it.

Sanny
    Free Member

Waderider

Is that you, one hill Hancox? 😆

Was that your second hill of the day……<snigger>

I’ll get my coat!

(runs off quickly into the distance)

Cheers

Sanny

Andy

Has anyone ridden along the shores of Loch Erich to/from Ben Alder cottage as an avoidance of the hikeabike? It looks suspiciously like a bogfest!

Yes 6-7 kms of carrybike. Impossible to ride. nice swimming in Loch Erich though

billyboy
    Free Member

I know a few other instances where there is a very evident clash between REALITY and WHAT KENNY WILSON SAYS in his book.

chickenman

The bit between Loch Pattick and Alder Cottage is really good though; great trail and superb scenery.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Photo from Bealach Dubh looking down to Ossian

and then looking back, once down towards Ossian

Total and utter ballache, and that was on foot. Comlete bogfest

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interstingly I have walked that bit a couple of times and found it no bother at all. NO bog and a path in places.

Garry_Lager

Kenny Wilson makes it plain that this is a pyar epic route, there’s no ambiguity there at all in his write up.

I loved this route, and that’s with ordinary weather with no great views, so I guess that makes me a fan. I do agree though that the riding, taken in isolation, is generally good rather than exceptional.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Bit confused now as it gets good reviews in Kenny F Wilsons book and The Wild Trails. But the above perspectives don’t look good. What’s the wider opinion?

stuartm555
    Free Member

agree with all above.

Bealach Bawbag would be a better name.

some photos here but they probably don’t show the misery very well:
    IMG_2399

chickenman

Compared to the Beinn A’Ghlo curcuit, the riding and scenery is of a higher quality. There is at least 10km of really nice singletrack.
    There is nothing I can say on a posative note about the ball-ache of a push up.
    Definately worth doing on a nice day!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Done a few KW routes so used to a carry. Thinking it might be better to do it June time. Anybody done the Glengarry Forest loop?

marty
    Free Member

Another one that wasn’t too keen on the Bealach Bawbag. Cracking day out though:
    IMG_1665

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ben Alder Circuit’ is closed to new replies.