Home Forums Bike Forum BB92 – King or Wheels Manufacturing BB?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BB92 – King or Wheels Manufacturing BB?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trek with a BB92 bottom bracket. I’ve not had much life (around 1 year) from any bottom bracket on this or my other bike with a BSA BB until I switched the BSA one for a Chris King. I’ve had real trouble lately with the BB92 because I was running cranks with a 30mm axle but they died recently so I’m swapping back to a 24mm axle.

I’ve got a couple of options –

– A used Chris King Pressfit 24 BB
    – A new Wheels Manufacturing PF92 BB

The King one I’d hope would last forever once it’s in, but the Wheels Mfg one has flanges which you fit a BB tool to and two halves screw together. I like the idea of that for replacement, but their instructions indicate that the bearings will still need replacing. That replacement looks basically the same as faffing about bashing a normal BB92 out the frame, but from the cups. At least with that option I can do it out of the frame on a workbench, which is much easier.

Anyone any experience with either? Will the King last for ever or am I better off going for the serviceable option?

dovebiker

I have a Wheels Mfg one in my bikes – you still need to press-fit one side and then screw-in the other, there’s too much friction to be able to screw them in together. Once installed it’s been trouble-free.

Daffy

I’ve got King PF92 and Bb30 bottom brackets in 3 bikes and they’ve been trouble free for 3, 2 and 1 years and 0000s of KM.

I did consider a Hope screw together thingy, but stuck to my “if it rotates on a bearing, it should be a King bearing” ethos and it’s served me well.

AdamT

(I’ve seen the thread title a few times and I can’t stop seeing “BB King”.👍 God rest his soul!)

sillyoldman

If your BB shell is a neat fit on existing cups, I’d consider the CK one as the bearings are more durable than others (if serviced), but if the shell is baggy, I’d go WMfg for a solid base for some easily replaceable bearings.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trek with a Wheels Mfg one. I managed to screw the two parts together, using high PTFE grease on the frame interface. You need to get the spanner as well. It has worked fine so far, but I haven’t had to change the bearings yet (must be due soon, they have lasted well).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BB92 – King or Wheels Manufacturing BB?’ is closed to new replies.