Home Forums Bike Forum Battery to power a turbo trainer for 2 hours?!?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Battery to power a turbo trainer for 2 hours?!?
  • ibnchris

Have recently bought a smart trainer that needs power. I do not really have room indoors but have a shed at end of the garden. It’s about 80metres away so too long for an extension lead. Would a leisure battery set up do it?! If so, what would you recommend?

Poopscoop

How are you going to get the correct voltage from the battery into the turbo mate?

Regulate it down to the correct voltage, ie 5v (even if the turbo needs 12v, the battery will likely output over that which *might* be an issue without regulation) or whatever?

Or…. use a inverter to use the original power supply?

Both have good and bad points.

(PS, I want your garden.😁)

5thElefant
    Free Member

See if you can find out the spec for the power supply for your turbo trainer. Looking at a replacement power supply should tell you.

If you can find a 12v power supply to match then you’re sorted.

ibnchris

Sorry to sound thick but where would I find that info?

twonks

The turbo should have come with a power supply.

Look on the bottom of it to find the rated output in volts and amp.

If it’s 12V or 24V, buy a cheap car battery and charger could be an option.

If you’re not sure what your looking at, take a pic of the underside with the label on and one of us will decipher it for you.

EDIT. If you sort it yourself, make sure you get the polarity correct or else it could damage the circuitry in the trainer.

damascus
    Free Member

Can you rig up a system so the turbo charges the battery that feeds the turbo?

Aidy
    Free Member

What will you do for a fan etc.?

mjsmke

Longer extension lead?

Or use an inverter on the battery.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Will the WiFi reach?

crazybaboon

Wahoo do a 12v car adapter for the kickr, maybe this could work for you with a car battery

MrPottatoHead

I think I’d be moving the shed if it was me 😀

Aidy
    Free Member

Also – are you going to to spin away in the dark?

bails

Also – are you going to to spin away in the dark?

It’s not like he’ll crash into anything!

damascus
    Free Member

How about running a cable out there permanently under the ground?

markspark
    Free Member

Clearly the only option is a poweroak 2400wh power bank, you could also run a fan and light for only just over 2 grand

nixie

Why’s that too long for an extension lead (or 2). Other than the hassle of putting it out.

palmer77
    Free Member

Is there not a solution with a capacitor and a Dynamo?

jamesoz

I can’t be arsed to work it out but it’s going to depend on battery size/quantity, trainer type and the losses if you have to use an inverter.

belugabob
    Free Member

1/ How big is your garden, FFS?
    2/ Why is a longer extension cable not an option
    3/ I’d be looking at a permanent extension – lights/fans/TV, etc

longdog
    Free Member

I’ve had a 30m external extension to my shed or the last few years, just cut a slot in the grass for it. Powers lights, turbo, laptop and has Internet through it too with no issues

kayak23

tpbiker
    Free Member

If you have an 80 meter long garden surely you live in a stately home. Isn’t there room for the turbo in the servants quarters?

If you had a tacx neo you wouldn’t have this issue as it can be run without power I believe, although i have yet tried it.

Oblongbob

Tacx neo works well without power, just doesn’t have driven freewheeling without power. Still need plenty of power for the fan, tv etc.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Battery to power a turbo trainer for 2 hours?!?’ is closed to new replies.