Home Forums Bike Forum Avalanche Trophy at Kielder

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Avalanche Trophy at Kielder
  • rusty
    Free Member

Hi, I need some advice please.

Has anyone done this event before as it looks like that I am doing it in 2010.

Just wondering how hard the climbs are as I have a Lapierre Froggy that weights about 34.5lb and was wondering if I will be ok on this. If I swap the wheels I will probably get it down to about 33lb.

Just looking for some advice on bike setup or if doing on this bike is a stupid idea.

Thanks

fbk
    Free Member

Is it 100% definitely happening next year – the Kielder round has been taken off the provisional diary for next year on the Avalanche website.

If it is, do it – it's great :)

Climbs are mainly fire road cruises with plenty of time to get up (just don't get caught out at the food stop too long as many people did last year!). Stick some reasonbly chunky fast rolling tyres(Minions/HRs for me) and you'll be fine.

jojoA1
    Free Member

This year someone broke his chain on the first special section and completed the race pushing his bike up all the climbs. The limits are very loose. You'll be fine.

Hoping it is on again as it was one of the best events I've done.

rusty
    Free Member

Nooooooo they have removed it from the calendar. Looks like I will have to do AE Forest then.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Gutted! Why Ae and not Keilder? :(

Tonylem
    Free Member

I remember the guy with no chain, on a Balfa, he was a few in front of me.
    As already said the climbs were pretty comfortable, I am sure you could even manage them on a downhill bike. A light bike is a benefit though as some of the stages are very peddaly, and hard work on a big bike if you want to be quick.
    Hope it is on next year as it was a great event.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah the climbs aren't too tough – only one of them had reasonably tight timing – you could probably push up all the others though. They might change the timings though I suppose.

I agree that a lighter bike would be better.

Hope it does happen again – it was ace.

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

See this link here

Showing Kielder stage on 24th-25th April, also AE and a TBC for September… Hope Kielder is on this year!!!

ddmonkey

Now says there is going to be a second enduro in sept at a venue to be decided, so no Keilder in April on their calendar… just Ae at the moment.

Simon

A mate emailed the organisers last week to see what was happening with the April 2010 Kielder Enduro, and unfortunately it's been cancelled :(
    Shame as I really enjoyed this year's event.

I'm now waiting to see where the TBA venue in September is. Don't really fancy the Ae one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( :(

I really wanted to do that as well. They should just run it anyway and give it a new name.

grumm
    Free Member

Bugger. :(

RobbieG
    Free Member

The Avalanche last year at Ae was a brilliant event, ask anyone that entered it. That's obviously the reason they're having it there again. Not sure why the negative comments about having it at Ae?

grumm
    Free Member

I'll hopefully do the one at Ae – but last year there was an Ae one and a Kielder one. There was also a lot more people taking part at the Kielder one I think.

Simon

Not sure why the negative comments about having it at Ae?

A few years ago I dislocated my elbow at Ae, that's my only (irrational) problem with the place. :)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is the Ae event the same format as Keilder was this year?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Whinlatter was on the agenda for last year but then got pulled. Maybe the TBA in Sept will be there next year?

(When I say last year I mean this year!)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Avalanche Trophy at Kielder’ is closed to new replies.