Home Forums Bike Forum Apple killer app for outdoor enthusiasts.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Apple killer app for outdoor enthusiasts.
    Kramer
    Free Member

Just watching the WWDC keynote. Satellite text messaging is going to be available in IOS18 on the iPhone 15 and later.

I can see that being really useful with our slightly patchy cellular coverage in the UK.

hot_fiat

That’s pretty awesome.  It’s great riding in places like Hamsterley now where there’s bot all reception knowing that the little sat icon is there if you need it. How much will they charge for it though, that’s the question?

ampthill

The 14 and 15 can already contract the emergency services via satellite

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/101573

What happens after 2 years?

Kramer
    Free Member

Actually it might have been the 14 as well.

Anyway it’ll now be able to send and receive normal text messages too, which I think will be useful.

hot_fiat

That notes natural maths function looks pretty cool.

somafunk

I’m watching the wwdc now (apple user since 2000) and I detest these folk, if you said they were entirely AI generated then I’d believe you.

vlad_the_invader

Anyway it’ll now be able to send and receive normal text messages too, which I think will be useful.

How long before there’s a thread on here bemoaning someone’s kid racking up a multi- thousand ££ bill for doing just that?? 😆😆😆

jam-bo

It says US only in the footnotes.

Kramer
    Free Member

It’ll come in time.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is good news, I’m guessing they’ll be rolling it out on android phones soon as well

Kramer
    Free Member

It is a feature that would make me consider upgrading my phone. I’m planning on doing some bikepacking in Northern Scotland and was considering buying something like the Garmin In-Reach. Having one less item to charge and carry would be a substantial benefit for me.

Kramer
    Free Member

This is good news, I’m guessing they’ll be rolling it out on android phones soon as well

Apparently it’s the cellular providers who’ve been blocking it.

bikesandboots

something like the Garmin In-Reach. Having one less item to charge and carry would be a substantial benefit for me.

In defence of the InReach Mini:

• Battery lasts for something like two weeks
    • Can be used with gloves, in an emergency or for line-based navigation
    • Fits into rucksack strap chest pocket
    • Probably has a better antenna
    • Simple interaction to trigger emergency function
    • Immune from being f’d up by phone OS and buggy app updates or battery drains
    • Not going to be smashed up if you drop it the wrong way on rocks, or even land on it

Whether that’s worth it, each to their own.

zilog6128

In defence of the InReach Mini

do you have it in your pocket every time you go out anywhere though? 🤔

franksinatra

Apparently it’s the cellular providers who’ve been blocking it.

Funny that!

Surely it is only a matter of time before satellite comms becomes mainstream.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Garmin InReach is great — durable, reliable, battery life lasts ages, and its pretty small. It’s also a backup navigation device, but I’d only bother taking mine if I was going to somewhere very remote.

Kramer
    Free Member

I think that the great thing is that this is a problem that is now being solved.

bikesandboots

do you have it in your pocket every time you go out anywhere though? 🤔

No, of course not. But it’s a good point you make.

I was merely highlighting that if you’re going on a proper adventure, there are still reasons to consider the inReach Mini.

scotroutes

do you have it in your pocket every time you go out anywhere though?

Most times when you’re out there’s a cellular signal.

I’m guessing they’ll be rolling it out on android phones soon as well

https://www.tomsguide.com/phones/android-phones/android-15s-satellite-communication-feature-may-already-be-live-for-t-mobile-users

Kramer
    Free Member

I was merely highlighting that if you’re going on a proper adventure, there are still reasons to consider the inReach Mini.

Not least of which, redundancy.

zilog6128

if you’re going on a proper adventure

I’m getting the impression that most people are only considering this iPhone feature in terms of summoning life-saving aid in the event of an emergency… I mean that is great to have as a backup, but I don’t think (at least I hope!!) I’ll ever need to use it like that! I’m more thinking it’ll be great for those occasions when you have no signal (remote campsite, in a valley, biking in the forest, etc) where you have no signal but I’d be quite convenient just to able to send someone a message! Not a life-saver, just really handy 😃

Most times when you’re out there’s a cellular signal.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.