Home Forums Chat Forum Anywhere I can buy a STIHL chainsaw online?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anywhere I can buy a STIHL chainsaw online?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Yay, another chainsaw thread!!

I want one of those new STIHL lithium cordless chainsaws.

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Chain-saws/Cordless-Chain-Saw/21856-1583/MSA-160-C-BQ.aspx

Without going into the ins and outs of why not a petrol one, the battery wont last etc etc.Ccan anyone tell me where I can get one online?

STIHL’s policy doesnt let dealers sell online and its in store pick up only, unless you can provde your qualifications/certification, but all of the cheapest deals are nowhere near me, let alone in Scotland. I dont have a chainsaw licence/training to prove I am capable, but have been using my Husky electric (cabled) saw for a few years now with no mishaps (touch wood).

How much does the chainsaw certification cost? Quite fancy doing it anyway, as i facny a pertol saw at some point too, but wondered if there were ways round STIHLs online selling policies?

ski
    Free Member

you can pick up S/H stuff on ebay, bought my last STIHL that way, but most will be well worn and STIHL parts can smart a bit.

Chainsaw certifcation is worth doing, even if its only the basic one.

CS30 start at £360-£400

Most place will do a combo CS30 & CS31 for about £700 if you have more time.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive just been looking at certification. Anywhere recommended within an hour of dundee? i.e edinburgh/perthshire/Fife/tayside/angus?

MrGrim

I believe Elmwood college in Cupar do the courses. I did look at doing some of the tickets, but struggle to justify time off work and use holidays to do it.

If you find anywhere which does weekend/evening courses then please post up.

ski
    Free Member

Did mine in Pershore in the West Midlands, well run cource, worth doing.

Out of interest why are you going for the MSA-160? I have heard great things about the Bosch cordless version.

MrGrim

Oh, and for buying Stihl, maybe check Forth Grass Machinery[/url]. They are in Dunfermline (near my hoose) and seem like good guys.

trail_rat
    Free Member

angus chain saws between inverkeilor/friockheim used to see me well with my stihl parts when i lived there

Gorehound
    Free Member

FWIW you can buy a chainsaw from Aldi for £80 with a three year warranty which is 6 times the warranty I used to get from Sthil.

geoffj

If you find anywhere which does weekend/evening courses then please post up.

+1

Highland Industrial Supplies in Perth are a Stihl dealer and pretty competitive on price.

There’s a branch in Dundee too – http://www.hisltd.co.uk/Depots.html

geoffj

You could also try FR Jones – give them a ring, as I seem to remember that they would deliver once you have spoken to them

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/stihl/chainsaws2/stihl-msa-160-c-bq-battery-chainsaw/

organic355
    Free Member

Good shout on Highland industial supplies, why didnt they come up on google search? I have contacted them.

Not Sure FR jones would deliver to Scotland?

On courses, I am sure I saw something on one of the local councils websites for training and it wasnt as expensive as elmwood college. i really fancy doing the course, maybe turn it into a side business…..now theres a thought..

organic355
    Free Member

UPDATE: contacted Elmwood college:

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have attached information pertaining to the 4 day Lantra certified Basic Chainsaw Course.

The cost for this course is £580.00 and the next available date we have is 10 – 13 December.

If I can be of further assistance please contact me directly on this email address or by calling 01334 658868.

Many thanks

Linda

email me if you want the attachment.

I am considering it, but £580? jees!!

Do you need to renew this qualification yearly, how does it work?

trail_rat
    Free Member

organic 355

speak to angus collage in arbroath

they used to do it over 2 days and im fairly sure it wasnt 580 quid , 300 rings a bell but i didnt pay. It was just the basic chainsaw safety as i didnt actually do any tree felling was just cutting up the felled trees for transport and removal.

tbh some of the photos you will see on the course youll be off buying chainmail trousers and chainsaw boots. Wish i still had mine – mice ate them in their winter storage at my old employers (and he paid for them) as im toying with getting a chainsaw for hacking sticks and know that ill probably spend as much again on safety gear

also like most things it depends what your doing with it , private use on your own land – no qualification needed ( but i highly recomend it) if the chainsaw is used on public land then youll be asked to produce tickets.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anywhere I can buy a STIHL chainsaw online?’ is closed to new replies.