• This topic has 442 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 443 total)
  • Anyone watching the Gamestop/Reddit fandango?
  • finbar
    Free Member

So – how did anyone who had a flutter do? Gamestop’s share price seems to have been pretty steady at $50USD ish now for a week or so.

Incidentally (and mods, please delete if this isn’t kosher), I was looking for an alternative to Robinhood after their fiasco, and there’s a similar commission free share dealing app – Freetrade – that is currently offering a free share if you sign up via a referral link. I did it last week and got a share in this random bonds ETF that is currently worth £5.40 😀 .

Northwind

Still waiting for etoro to get round to approving my account! “Please allow 3 working days”. I made a bit of a terrible error and set up the practice account and entered every trade I would have done had the account been live, and well, same day trades on gamestop would have gone pretty well but palantir at 26 is haunting me a bit. Ah well. Just need to make sure that doesn’t turn into a greater FOMO once I finally get it going.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m about $200 down currently on GME but with 2 shares left, as you say it’s been pretty stable around $50 recently. I have a sell order at $100 on them but it’s more likely they’ll hit $1 I think :p

fatoldgit

Still waiting for Freetrade to verify my account 😟
    Lack of communication from them doesn’t fill me with confidence

finbar
    Free Member

Still waiting for Freetrade to verify my account 😟
    Lack of communication from them doesn’t fill me with confidence

Weird, was v. quick here… (although luddite that I am I don’t like the lack of desktop access, app only!).

footflaps

Seems that the Gamestop and other Reddit based actions filled the coffers of Hedge Funds as they cashed out knowing the inflated prices were daft. Quite a few funds delivered record profits at the expense of retail investors…

Retail investors who dealt a black eye to hedge funds betting against the price of stocks including GameStop last month also delivered years’ worth of gains in a matter of days to a handful of other fund managers.

https://www.ft.com/content/a883ad92-2fd8-454b-bc56-78b64ed20545

davros

Hopefully they will turn their attention to some of my dead shares so I can offload them at an absurd price. Not going to happen to any UK based companies though ☹️

alcolepone
    Free Member

behind a paywall, whats the gist?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m guessing those who already had shares cashed out when the value rocketed, and probably a fair few who shorted them when the value was at $3-400

footflaps

whats the gist?

Quite a few funds held shares which Reddit pumped. When they went to astronomic prices they were more than happy to sell them to Reddit users at 10x market rate. The funds exited making 10x more than they ever expected and the Reddit users bought $1 stock for $14 from a hedge fund as a way of hurting hedge funds. Quite funny really!

Markie
    Free Member

I bought (and promptly sold) 1 share, and my profit paid for the lion’s share of a Lego Landrover Defender for Jr! 😝

jimmy

I bought £300 worth, nearly doubled my money and sold. Then bought more for the expected squeeze, which I should have just avoided. So I’m about evens as it stands.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Ever so slightly “sub-even”…

mattyfez

I love this – how does one buy shares in gamestop? what’s the simple method if you just want to chuck a hundred quid in, to avoid comission etc.? I’ve never bought shares before.

peekay

what’s the simple method if you just want to chuck a hundred quid in, to avoid comission etc

If you don’t already have an ISA then set up a Stocks and Shares ISA with someone like Hargreaves Lansdown. Then you can buy shares in most companies around the world and pay no CGT if you make money on them.

Fees are steep compared to other sites at £11.99 a trade, so doesn’t really make sense to use for day trading unless you are playing with big numbers.

Superficial
    Free Member

I love this – how does one buy shares in gamestop? what’s the simple method if you just want to chuck a hundred quid in, to avoid comission etc.? I’ve never bought shares before.

You can do just that on Freetrade. I didn’t have any trouble at all with account verification (almost instant).

Here’s my Freetrade link if the above one has already been used.

https://magic.freetrade.io/join/tom/0159bdee

I’ve only lost money so far though so I’m not sure I would recommend signing up!

Edit: Actually Freetrade charges a £10 monthly account fee for various benefits including being able to buy some US stocks so I think you need to cough up that to buy GME.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Revolut do 3 free trades a month so if you just want to have a punt then you may as well try that.

nickjb
    Free Member

Was just reading that Michael Burry (played by Christian Bale in The Big Short) had 3000000 GameStop shares, bought last year when they were cheap. That would’ve been worth over half a billion dollars at the peak. He sold the lot in December before all the fun and games

ctk
    Free Member

Argo blockchain has brought me 100%+ profit in a few weeks. I missed the GameStop boat.

FuzzyWuzzy

I went with eToro, sign-up only took a few minutes. Then just deposited funds via debit card and started trading – it’s commission free for normal trades. There was a fee to withdraw funds (I think $30), not sure it that’s a flat fee or depends on the amount being withdrawn.

lankystreakofpee

I use the Trading212 ISA account which was easy to set up and its zero commission.

Not sure if this is allowed but if you create an account using this link we both get a free share worth up to £100:

http://www.trading212.com/invite/FzBDIB9t.

It’s covered by FCA etc and I’m up 13% overall since I started last year, which is a mix of long term investments and a few trades which I class as cheeky bets. Better than 0.00001% in my bank account!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

some of the snippets from the congressional hearing are great 😂

whole 5 hours here, DFV from 40:40, **** knows how he kept a straight face when he saw “I am not a cat”

dirtyrider
    Free Member

So – how did anyone who had a flutter do? Gamestop’s share price seems to have been pretty steady at $50USD ish now for a week or so.

bought 12 @ $98.54
    bought 2 @ $71.26

sold 4 @ $269.265
    sold 10 @ $285.005

got burnt on AMC, Nokia, $AEZS

did alright with SNDL, was £3k up in afterhours/premarket, but it opened just up on the close price on the but then blew it all on SCKT & CLPS, learnt a lesson

made the last couple of weeks go quicker, but its too stressful when its volatile 😂

mandog

I joined Freetrade about 2 weeks ago [like a retarded ape]. I spent £250 on a mixture of AMZN, NOK, AMC [stonks] – lost about £50 over a week, the loss being entirely on £100 of AMC shares [bag holder]. Then I moved the lot to ODX and lost another £50 initially but it’s gone back to near the value I bought it. Overall, I’m £55 down on a £250 investment in the space of about 2 weeks. I had to pay a £10 monthly fee to buy ODX but all the other trades were free. I shall probably cancel the subscription and hold [diamond hands] ODX for a while as I feel there’s a reasonable chance they shall improve if not this financial year then the next [to the moon].

zilog6128

missed the boat with GameStop but I did set up an account with HL (decided not to bother with any of the free services as they sounded quite stressful e.g. crashing due to demand when you’re trying to sell!!) so I’d be ready for the next YOLO bet 🤣 Did a bit of prowling round Reddit looking for tips, found MXC so stuck a couple of hundred in last week… wish I’d done more as it’s just shot up yesterday 👍 Quite good fun this (when it’s going your way 😂) I see you can invest in Bitcoin on HL now (via a fund) so might give that a go if/when it next crashes!

finbar
    Free Member

PLTR looking cheap by recent standards.

Instead of looking on WSB you could always see what stonks Queen Cathy is holding..

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-5-holdings-catherine-woods-171728157.html

footflaps

Another good FT article explaining the WSB ‘assault’ on silver…

Ross Norman, a veteran precious metals trader, estimated that the retail traders collectively lost around $250m in the silver price pullback.

“It’s been the delusional leading the gullible,” he said. “They’ve been led on by a false premise, a story that doesn’t hold water — it’s a children’s crusade. And they’re enriching the guys they’re posting against.”

https://www.ft.com/content/37f26cdf-38e8-4d8c-b493-1a6f1ad0ef16

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dfv increased his position by an additional 50,000 shares 🙃

jimmy

@zilog6128

I see you can invest in Bitcoin on HL now (via a fund) so might give that a go if/when it next crashes!

I don’t think this is true. I do *have* money in BTC and ETH trackers on HL, but I believe they’re closed to further trading. OK to HODL and sell but further buying has been banned by FCA. Unless things have changed…

andrewh
    Free Member

Don’t know about HL specifically but you can’t have crypto in a new ISA

dirtyrider
    Free Member

wtf just happened 😂

$54 to $91 peak in the last hour, going to go ballistic in after hours?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$107

jimmy

SQUEEEEEEEEEZE

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$122

dirtyrider
    Free Member

wsb down

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dfv increased his position by an additional 50,000 shares 🙃

should have followed 😂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$133 😂

BUY THE OPENING DIP

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$144

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$155 😂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

$166

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 443 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching the Gamestop/Reddit fandango?’ is closed to new replies.