Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone using a carbon chainset?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone using a carbon chainset?
  • proberts
    Free Member

Hi,
    I see CRC are doing 72% off an FSA triple chainset, I don’t need a chainset but I’m quite tempted at that price. Is anyone using one?…any good??

Cheers!

IHN

I think, and I can be told I’m wrong, that FSA chainsets need to be used with FSA bottom brackets, which aren’t very good.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ he’s right. It’s a different chainset depending on the crank too, but they’re all crap.

The fact it’s carbon isn’t that relevant, the fact it’s FSA is – they’re infamous for pedal inserts coming loose.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

I use Race Face Next cranks which are carbon and I love them … SOOOO stiff and light.

If renewing, I may consider the SixC version, being a more all-mountain design, but had no issues with the Next ones…… likely cost a fair bit more than those FSA’s though !

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I Use the XO DH cranks, Strong light stiff, but not cheap. I don’t think twice about using carbon nowadays.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a Truvativ Noir and it’s been fine for 3 years. The FSA carbon chainset has been fine on my road bike (for a month).

Northwind

IHN – Member

I think, and I can be told I’m wrong, that FSA chainsets need to be used with FSA bottom brackets, which aren’t very good.

I’m using an FSA chainset on a Shimano BB. It’s not particularily good, tbh- pedal threads weren’t cut right and the crank arm has a habit of working loose. But it was very cheap, so.

I’ve used a Truvativ X0 carbon crank for a short period… It’s pretty and didn’t do anything at all that I didn’t like, but it weighs pretty much exactly the same as my XTR M970 arms, and I’m less cagey about smacking them off things.

paddy0091
    Free Member

avoid FSA chainsets unless they’re giving them away..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a carbon chainset?’ is closed to new replies.