Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone spotted any bread flour or plain flour for sale?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)
  • Anyone spotted any bread flour or plain flour for sale?
  • anagallis_arvensis

I can update to confirm chapati flour makes good pancakes also!!

PJay
    Free Member

Our local supermarkets are devoid of flour & yeast but our little local bakery currently has flour and live yeast which seems to work fine in our breadmaker; 60 pence worth goes a surprisingly long way!

piemonster
    Free Member

The local shop have had 500kg delivered today.

andy8442
    Free Member

Check out your local wholesalers. We have a bakery and fresh food wholesalers who have opened up to the public, as their usual commercial clients ( hotels, restaurants etc ) are closed. Lots of products, most not in huge quantities as well, and you’re supporting a local business.

Kuco
    DrJ

Seems like flour is the new toilet paper – loads of people who never baked anything in their lives are now hoovering the stuff off the shelves.

ElShalimo

Self raising toilet paper?

funkynick

After much refreshing I managed to get a slot with Shipton Mill… the only problem now is that I am gonna fill the freezer with sourdough… I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed making it…

igm

Our local gastropub is buying in bulk and then decanting into 1kg bags.
    They have yeast too.
    😀🙃😊

MrOvershoot

As I have an almost unlimited supply of flour, I exchanged 15kg of 12% protein bread flour for 18x7g sachets of yeast with a very nice lady at the other end of our road :)
    Old style bartering works in the local community

ElShalimo

🤔

🤪

dyna-ti

Fee Fi Fo Fum….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Made some soft pretzels last night so now have no plain flour left.

The local shop only had cardboard bread left so this morning I made a white loaf and because the only flour j could get hold of a couple of weeks back was granery- my first granary loaf.

Seems to be turning out well so far at first proove. Whole meal breads always been a mystery to me -always ends up dense like a brick where as I can get perfectly light and fluffy white bread. (Hand made not machine)

Down to one bag 00 and one bag white bread flour.

Send help. FWP

cloudnine
    Free Member

I bit the bullet and bought a 25kg bag of Caputo 00 on eBay for £38 delivered.. can’t be running out of pizza. Yeast seems to be more if a problem..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeast is never an issue. The house is full of yeast. – not all of which are suitable for baking mind ;)

Just sour dough if you have to.

maccruiskeen

Fee Fi Fo Fum….

intersting origin to that rhyme. When we really did treat our soldiers as canon fodder there was a company that would go over to battlefields in Europe – collect the bodies of the fallen, bring them back …. and grind them up to sell as fertiliser. So it was said that soldiers ‘gave their bones to make our bread’

molgrips
    Free Member

Whole meal breads always been a mystery to me -always ends up dense like a brick where as I can get perfectly light and fluffy white bread

Add vitamin C, crushed tablets work but better to use powder available from bulk powders in small bags.

Re yeast – not into sourdough, but it should in theory still be possible to grow more. Thinking of putting some in sugar and water, fermenting it til the sugar is gone but the alcohol is not too high, then straining the sediment. Assuming it’s going to be dormant yeast rather than dead? Is this how they do it commercially?

sadexpunk

Whole meal breads always been a mystery to me -always ends up dense like a brick where as I can get perfectly light and fluffy white bread. (Hand made not machine)

are you kneading it the same as white? wholewheat have sharp bran fibres which cut the gluten when kneading. i know when i swapped flours if making sourdough, id try and use a ‘no-knead’ method for WW. theyd still come out heavier tho, i think theres less gluten in WW to start with….

ElShalimo

Wholemeal is great for soda bread. Do half plain, half wholemeal to make it less dense.

ElShalimo

Take to me about Chapatti flour

What can you do with it? Can it be used instead of wholemeal flour?

tails
    Free Member

They had some plain flour in Nisa local in Histon. Could be a drive if you are not local.

MrOvershoot

Aldi near me had plain/biscuit flour.

Oh and I’m not sure what these two comments after my previous post mean?

ElShalimo

🤔

🤪

dyna-ti

Fee Fi Fo Fum….

Anyone care to elaborate?

maccruiskeen

Fee Fi Fo Fum….

Anyone care to elaborate?

Are you looking for recipes?

maccruiskeen

Fee Fi Fo Fum….

Anyone care to elaborate? :-)

Are you looking for recipes?

It was chronologically after yours but doesn’t appear to be in reply to your post.

Kuco

Whats happened to everyone going gluten-free 🤔

simondbarnes

Whats happened to everyone going gluten-free

Oh, I didn’t get the memo. When were we supposed to do that?

anagallis_arvensis

What can you do with it? Can it be used instead of wholemeal flour?

Yep

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Am trying out some Chapati flour from the mosque supermarket

500g flour, 500ml water (seems it absorbs more water than normal flour), 10ml salt and a teaspoon of yeast. Left in covered bowl over night after mixing with a fork – also seems it doesn’t like being kneaded, tears up the dough.

Will report back after baking tomorrow.

maccruiskeen

When were we supposed to do that?

When theres no more flour on the shelves :-)

Kuco

Oh, I didn’t get the memo. When were we supposed to do that?

You obviously weren’t important enough then to receive it ;)

ElShalimo

@MrOvershoot – it was my inner teenage-boy reaction to bartering with a very nice lady. Ooh err

northernsoul

Our Sainsbury’s local had both (plain and strong white) yesterday, but we had already bought a 16 kg bag of bread flour from a local bakery (Bako) earlier in the week. Yeast is more of a problem – current plan is to reserve remaining easy bake dried yeast for pizza dough, make a bit extra and use the extra as ‘old dough’.

ElShalimo

I managed to get an order slot from Shipton Mill. Hopefully it will arrive in the next few days.

Their bulk bag size was 25kg not 16kg.

sadexpunk

bahhhh how did you manage that?? :D

was trying all yesterday, the site crashed, then came up saying theyve taken the shop offline, come back later. that message is still up….

homerun
    Free Member

Was hoping to hear about YGH’s Chupati flour bread ?

ElShalimo

@sadexpunk – I kept checking every few hours for about a week. I think on Weds about midnight I checked before going to bed and hey presto I entered my email address. It was like an out of body experience

😜

cloudnine
    Free Member

You can get 500g of dried yeast in eBay for about £12 delivered

Scapegoat

I’d run out of chapatti flour and my daughter went to do the family lockdown shop on Thursday, and returned, triumphantly with a 10kg bag of medium atta. I’ve got enough strong white and strong wholemeal to make a couple more 500g loaves, but after that it’ll be experimenting with the atta.

Making chapattis I use roughly half as much water as flour, so a mugful of atta to half a mug of water, kneaded for a couple of minutes, rested for ten for the gluten to develop, then rolled and cooked on the tawa. This guarantees a proper “puffed” up chapatti when flamed. Makes about 6.

For my usual loaf I use 500g of half white/ half wholemeal, 7g dried yeast, 10g salt, 25g butter, 320 ml water. Kneaded for 10, rise for 1.5 hours, knocked back and rise for another 40 mins. Baked in a 1 1/2lb tin with a steam tray in the oven for 30 mins at 200 this produces excellent results.

Are we thinking the atta will behave differently to the wholemeal flour I usually use?

dantsw13

Ocado online have flour in stock now.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Anyone spotted any bread flour or plain flour for sale?’ is closed to new replies.