Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone spotted any bread flour or plain flour for sale?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • Anyone spotted any bread flour or plain flour for sale?
  • cjr61

Running low and little CJRs need bread! Anyone spotted any sources away from the usual supermarket bun-fight?

Cheers
    Chris

piemonster
    Free Member

I’m only finding it in zero waste type shops, presumably as they buy in bulk and not the small bags that are sold out.

That does require some specific infection control. Not just in the shop, one in one out in this case on top of all the surface contact points, but when you get the stuff home.

So the flour I have now is for two weeks time. That and it’s getting baked.

kevs
    Free Member

I read somewhere that it’s actually a shortage of packaging as it comes from China and companies are struggling to get hold of it.

andylakes

Got some from our local bakers yesterday.
    Nothing in supermarkets.

zippykona

We ordered bread mixes directly from Wrights. Took a while to arrive .

winston
    Free Member

Ring your local bakers. Mine sold me 10kg of strong white.

hooli

Amazon have in larger quantities, I’ve got a 10kg arriving later today. It is not cheap though.

cjr61

Thanks all

boomerlives
    Free Member

I read somewhere that it’s actually a shortage of packaging as it comes from China

Nope.

Dusty

trail_rat
    Free Member

our local baker (JG ross) is bagging up their bulk supplies in plastic bags and distributing to their stockists( typically local spar type shops) so worth ringing round locally perhaps

Drac

Yes. Aldi, co-op, Sainsburys, M&S and Morrison’s but they disappear quick. Already a thread on this.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

No plain flour, but Shipton mill selling bread flour. We did a combined order with 3 neighbours and bought 16kg bags.

You need to register to get a slot to user their online shop though.

tomd
    Free Member

Morrisons this morning had a decent stock of their own brand 1kg plain and BeRo plain. Last week they had plenty of the 500kg bags. They seem to be getting stock where our local Aldi and Sainsbury’s don’t.

Stock levels this morning in general were good, with a reduced stock of things that no one ever normally buys (ie low production capacity) but dickheads stockpile. UHT milk, tinned spam etc

100mph
    Free Member

I bought some bulk bags from here, but there is a 3 week delivery lead :( https://www.ingredientsforcooks.co.uk/flour/

alanf
    Free Member

As above, Shipton mill have delivery slots becoming available.
    Enter your email address at the front screen (if there are any slots available) and then wait to get a mail message saying you have a slot – you can then order what they have available, plus spend £30 and it’s free delivery.

maccruiskeen

Look in the curry / rice bit in your supermarket. 10kg bags of Atta / Chapatti flour which is brown duram wheat and fine for making bread. Plenty in stock in my local supermarket – several aisles away from the rest of the flour so easily overlooked when they sell out.

Drac

None in Morrisons here this am.

Look in the curry / rice bit in your supermarket. 10kg bags of Atta / Chapatti flour which is brown duram wheat and fine for making bread

That’s a fancy supermarket luck just to get gram flour here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Last week they had plenty of the 500kg bags

What wheelie bin or wheelbarrow for Morrisons flour?….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Last week they had plenty of the 500kg bags. They seem to be getting stock where our local Aldi and Sainsbury’s don’t.

500kg is a bit much, how long are you expecting to be stuck indoors for?

cjr61

Thanks for the options. Looking online now.

Cheers

Kryton57

No flour of any kind in our local Sainsbury’s this morning.

maccruiskeen

That’s a fancy supermarket

Kilmarnock – dead posh.

PMK2060

There is a surplus of UK wheat but as stated above not enough packaging or packing facilities to pack it in retail packs.

Buying a 16kg bag would be my suggestion.

whitestone
    Free Member

@tomd – that’s one of the best typos I’ve seen in ages 😂 I had fits of giggles and had to move away from the computer! I’d got mental images of little old dears with forklift attachments on their mobility scooters all patiently queueing outside Morrisons.

BadlyWiredDog

I tried to persuade the missus that we could turn the backyard into a corn field. She said the absence of soil was an issue. I think that’s just negativity thinking, but am looking into flooding it and growing rice or pasta instead :-)

Drac

Kilmarnock – dead posh.

That is something  I’ve noticed when shopping in supermarkets in Scotland they do have a great stock of food in the ‘around the world’ areas. Fort William Morrison’s especially so.

anagallis_arvensis

I bought 10kg of chapati flour, I usually get it in 5kg, made some suet pastry with it, was fine. I’m sure it would make decent bread too if needed.

cjr61

BadlyWiredDog

I tried to persuade the missus that we could turn the backyard into a corn field. She said the absence of soil was an issue. I think that’s just negativity thinking, but am looking into flooding it and growing rice or pasta instead 🙂

Those Pasta fields are lucrative business i reckon! Haha, good one BWD

maccruiskeen

That is something  I’ve noticed when shopping in supermarkets in Scotland they do have a great stock of food in the ‘around the world’ areas. Fort William Morrison’s especially so.

Its not so much the ’round the world bit’ – you’ll maybe get small bags of chapatti or gram flour there. But most supermarkets will have a bit of space dedicated to whatever minority population there might be locally – and end of an aisle with polish home comforts or whatever –  and usually a bit of shelf space with sizeable packs of flour, rice, daals and so on.

maccruiskeen

Those Pasta fields are lucrative business i reckon!

Difficult to cover your costs though as pasta will only grown in boiling water.

MrOvershoot

anagallis_arvensis

I bought 10kg of chapati flour, I usually get it in 5kg, made some suet pastry with it, was fine. I’m sure it would make decent bread too if needed.

We used to make Chapati flour here and its really just a standard bread flour with no added gluten, so makes very good loafs of bread.

You will be glad to know I’m at work and flour production is full tilt :)

supernova

Our local Coop has started selling massive units of common goods like flour, rice, beans etc. from a wholesale supplier who presumably can’t shift it elsewhere because catering facilities aren’t open.

So if you need a 3.5kg bag of bread mix or 10kg of rice, Cinderford Coop is the place to go.

Drac

But most supermarkets will have a bit of space dedicated to whatever minority population there might be locally – and end of an aisle with polish home comforts or whatever –  and usually a bit of shelf space with sizeable packs of flour, rice, daals and so on.

Yeah I used that name as wasn’t sure how to word it, regardless as I say it’s something I’ve noticed Scotland is better at doing. We have a have a sizeable polish population here but not really much of stock on polish goods. Berwick which is a further up the road has a better stock and there’s a shop selling polish produce too.

Superficial
    Free Member

@tomd – that’s one of the best typos I’ve seen in ages 😂 I had fits of giggles and had to move away from the computer! I’d got mental images of little old dears with forklift attachments on their mobility scooters all patiently queueing outside Morrisons.

This lockdown is getting to us all.

DezB
    Free Member

Lots of flour on ebay. Some of it up awaiting your bids… others, like 16kg for £20, is that expensive?

tomd
    Free Member

I’ll admit it when I came home and told the wife I’d spent £250 on half a metric shit-tonne of flour she was less than pleased. That displeasure has only increased as all of our meals are now flour based. Bread pudding, bread, white sauce over toast, fried bread in homemade breadcrumbs etc. The kids have made an entire model village from salt dough as well.

I know that for those of you that knead flour and can’t get it this might seem like a first world problem.

StuF

Found some bread flour here: https://www.squires-shop.com/

looks like it’ll take about 2 weeks to get here tho

cjr61

Managed to get lucky and get on Wessexmill whilst they opened their page. Sorted

johncoventry

Just got 3kg at Sainsbury’s. They had a few bags even at 4pm.
    Sister in law also got some with her online delivery.

SaxonRider

The Saxon house can now boast a 16 kg bag of flour!

But no yeast. :(

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Anyone spotted any bread flour or plain flour for sale?’ is closed to new replies.