• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone sold their CDs/DVDs via Music Magpie or Ebay?
  • cinnamon_girl

Keen to hear about experiences or whether you’ve used a different outlet. Obviously not expecting to get much for them!

Thanks.

scud
    Free Member

I used Music Magpie recently to sell a box load of DVD’s – i had taken them with other stuff to a few car boot sales and people only want to pay 50p or thereabouts there and only seem to want the blockbuster films or boxsets, you don’t get much for them but the process is really painless, you download the Music Magpie app, just scan each of the DVD barcodes and it tells you how much you get for that DVD, you then print of a label and they send a courier to collect them from you and you get sent the money via paypal or similar. if you just want to get rid of them and aren’t expecting much money wise, then it is pretty painless.

IHN

I gave all mine away to someone on here, about 250 of them. Dunno what he made of them all when he’d listened to them 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone sold their CDs/DVDs via Music Magpie or Ebay?

Yes! Millions! Not me though, I just buy buy buy… at around £1.50 per cd, I can’t imagine they pay more than pennies for them. Definitely better off selling individually on eBay or discogs if you’re bothered about getting a return.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you scud, that’s really helpful. Didn’t realise they sent a courier, is there a charge for that? Sending box sets could become expensive!

cinnamon_girl

Nettles – it’s a bonus if you’re not shamed on here!!

Dez – thanks for that. Music Magpie were certainly asking considerably more than £1.50 for some, will check out Discogs. Some on Ebay were selling for a reasonable amount so there’s hope!

tomhoward

Mate of mine uses both. He buys a job lot of assorted DVDs (at auction normally, in the 100’s if not 1000’s) then lists them all on Ebay separately with a 99p start. Of the ones that sell (about half), most sell for that but very now and then there will be a rare/sought after one that will bring £50+

Anything that doesn’t go after a couple of months gets magpie’d. Even factoring paying someone to organise/list the DVDs, he reckons its worthwhile profitwise

cinnamon_girl

Tom, that sounds really time-consuming!

tomhoward

It is, for the person he pays to do all the listing… though I guess if you think you have something that might be worth more than a quid or two, put it on ebay, if you’ve a load of common, non current/popular titles that you just want rid of, then magpie. MrsTh has used them painlessly, though there were some they wouldn’t take (not dodgy!) so they were binned.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again Tom, shall now have a good look at what’s selling on Ebay. At least I don’t have 0000’s to dispose of!

Sandwich

Sandwich Jr recently off-loaded a collection of school era CDs. Painless for him, his mum did all the scanning! Bear in mind some items are not acceptable to them either too many in stock or previous experiencs shows they don’t sell. These won’t be priced, I would go at scan all at Magpie, those that have a higher price may be worth sticking on e-bay.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

If the reviews are anything to go by i’d steer well clear of Music Magpie

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Sold about £500 worth of junk on ebay a few months ago. You won’t move obvious/popular stuff but you can shift plenty of things if you’re patient.

One word of warning – you’ll be amazed at the amount of people messaging you and trying to knock 10p of a cd. Infuriating to say the least!

simon_g

Think it was Ziffit we used a couple of moves ago for the DVDs. Scan barcodes on your phone and chuck in a box, then they provide a shipping label to print and paid a few days later. All very easy. Not a lot per unit but low hassle and we just didn’t have the time or patience for sell individual ones.

CDs went years ago, my dad took the third or so that he was interested in, rest went to a secondhand music shop – it doesn’t exist any more which may say something about demand for them.

cinnamon_girl

Music Magpie have terrible reviews from folk who were selling their phones, would definitely avoid for that.

Had a quick go at seeing how much I’d get for an assortment of CDs and it wasn’t much as expected. Ebay seems to have more fixed price ads for CDs and noticed the occasional one that sold for considerably more.

Have to laugh at wanting 10p off the price.

Reckon I’ll be dithering for a while!!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i used to love musicmagpie, when it first launched to build up stock they offered £3 on many CDs, i used to raid carboot sales and buy to sell on musicmagpie,

i worked out their supply of classical music was low and so i managed to buy a few boxes of classical CDs at a few carboot sales, paying 10-20p a CD and then trading them for £3 a piece, other Cds you’d get 20p 40p-£1 so easy money..

i dont think the rates they pay are as good as what they were

DezB
    Free Member

so easy money..

Apart from the going around car boot sales bit.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@DezB yeah always needed a good shower after.
    id be buying vinyl and house/dance CDs for myself so easy enough..

one thing with music magpie if the CD case is broke/ or cracked you wont get paid for it..

rene59
    Free Member

I had hundreds of dvds, local charity shop wouldn’t take them, friends and family weren’t interested, looked at music magpie but didn’t have the option to scan barcodes at the time I looked at it and it would have taken ages to manually enter in the info. Ebay seemed like a drag, so in the end I took them to local tip and the boss man there was more than happy to have them for nowt.

DezB
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I just bought some stuff from MM’s website. The site went all screwy and I ended up with 2 of everything in my purchase (didn’t show in the basket). I asked for a refund, so I could re-order and they refunded each item separately over 2 days… bloody weird way to go about things.
    I’ll stick to their ebay shop in future.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone sold their CDs/DVDs via Music Magpie or Ebay?’ is closed to new replies.