Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone running road tubeless? If so what tyre width and psi?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone running road tubeless? If so what tyre width and psi?
  • oceanskipper

Interested to know what psi people are running road tubeless at. New wheels arriving tomorrow and I am wondering what sort of psi to run a 35mm tyre at on a 19mm rim. In addition if I swapped to a 30mm tyre on the same rim what difference I would be looking at..

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m 76kg and run

36mm @ 52 rear 47 front

30mm @ 67 rear 63 front

oceanskipper

What internal rim width is that?

I’ve got some 21mm internal width rims with a 38mm tyre that is very comfortable at 50psi rear and 48 front but I could possibly get away with lower. I run the 35mm on those same 21mm rims at 52 front 50 rear.

mert
    Free Member

how heavy are you?

oceanskipper

90kg and running 700C wheels. Total system weight about 105Kg

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

90kg + panniers 700x35c 50-60psi

H-B

32 mm on 25 internal run tubeless about 52 psi front and 55 rear and I’m 90 Kg.

Sandwich

I’m a little less than 90kg. Tyres are 28mm wide and running 70psi back and 65psi front. Possibly a little on the high side but it’s a help in getting local flints to ping off the tyre rather than taking a chunk out of the rubber or holing it.

oceanskipper

What rim width are you all on?

kevgeorge
    P20

28mm gp5000 at 65f, 70r. The sram calculator isn’t bad. There’s a GCN video on YouTube which is interesting  regarding how low you can go

robertajobb

I’m on 28mm Pirelli P Zero tyres, on DT SWISS rims that have 20mm internal width. They actually measure at 28mm wide too when pumped up on the rim.

I’m running about 70psi.front and 75.psi rear. No problems in about 2 years.

Gravel bike  35mm Schwalbe G-one,.20mm internal rims (Hope20-FIVE). 55PSI rear , 52 front.  (Increased to 65/55 ish when bike packing a.month ago, had one pinch flat / burp / nicked the tyre othe front on a rocky fire road downhill.

And I suffer from an excessive localised gravitational field at present, post-BoZo-shutdown-of-sports 3 years ago. Downward force applied to this earth is currently  >1000 N 😖

poah
    Free Member

23 internal prime wheels with 28mm Goodyear eagle F1. About 72psi front and rear.

mert
    Free Member

I’m running 19mm internal with 28 (meaasure 30mm) tyres and between 50 and 65. Usually 5-8 higher on the back.

oceanskipper

Just watching the GCN “How low can you go” video…

oceanskipper

Interesting answers – I’m assuming all are on rubbish UK roads rather than lush silky smooth tarmac…

nixie

28mm schwable pro one, hunt aero wide alloy wheels, 78kg running 60/57psi at the moment.

dander

28mm tyres on 21mm internal width rims – around 65psi. I’m 75kg.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

30-32mm tyres (Spesh and Bonty). 50 front, 55 rear, roughly.

crazy-legs

Mine is a Mavic wheel/tyre “system” that came with the tyres pre-installed, they’re 28c Yksions.

21c internal width, 28c tyres, I’m 72kg and running 75psi rear, 65psi front.

Once these wear out I’ll be getting some Specialized or Schwalbe tubeless tyres.

swdan
    Free Member

28mm Goodyear eagle F1s, 21mm internal width and 78kg rider. I run about 70 front and rear. According to the Goodyear psi calculator I should be 70 ylrear and 66 front I think based on road conditions but my pump probably isn’t accurate enough to follow that guide.

Might be worth a look on your tyre manufacturers website, they often have guides

Daffy

32mm tyres on 22-25mm internal width rims at 50/55 f/r.  I’m 70kg.

poah
    Free Member

@swdan copycat right down to the weight lol

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I’m on 28mm GP5000TRs 28mm. 60PSI front and rear rider weight 67kg.

claudie

I’m on 28mm Pirelli TLR’s. 56 front 62 rear rider weight 64kg ( hookless 22mm internal )

oceanskipper

The chap at GCN was running 28mm tyres on a 25mm rim  (unless I misheard)  – according to the DT Swiss chart that isn’t even a possible combination let alone a recommended one. And he kept talking about a maximum pressure of 72.5 and I’m not sure why…

oceanskipper

So is a 28mm tyre on a 22mm internal rim going to be better from a stability/comfort point of view than a 35mm tyre on a 19mm internal rim – or are they going to be about the same….????

Shred
    Free Member

Old style hooked rims:
    Can run high pressure, but why would you

Hookless rim (also now known as tubeless straight side TSS):
    Max pressure 73psi

Tyres need to be rated to run on TSS, then have max pressure on that of 73psi, or whatever is on side wall if using hooked rim.

There is an ERTRO standard on rim width to tyre width.  25mm rim with 28mm tyre falls outside of that standard in terms of acceptable use.  People do run it, but tyre manufacturers don’t want to be sued for saying something that falls outside of an acceptable standard.

An 19mm rims are so old skool.  Wider rims = betterer

footflaps

Interesting answers – I’m assuming all are on rubbish UK roads rather than lush silky smooth tarmac…

After endless sidewall snake bites on pot holes I run hookless tubeless at max pressure as it reduced the chance of punctures if you hit a pothole.

The Zipp 404 rims seem to have an amazing ability to wreck tyre sidewalls if you hit something. Another chap in the same group on the same wheels has exactly the same problem, we both just run them at 70 psi as that’s as high as you can go (well 74 psi, but I don’t trust my track pump to be that accurate).

swdan
    Free Member

@paoh, I’m currently reaching the end of a week in Spain and have been making the most of the buffet so I’d take the 78kg with a shovel full of salt!

dovebiker

32mm Gravelking slicks on 22mm rims – never go higher than 50psi

Daffy

So is a 28mm tyre on a 22mm internal rim going to be better from a stability/comfort point of view than a 35mm tyre on a 19mm internal rim – or are they going to be about the same….????

Both will be fine, the 28mm will be faster, the 35mm more comfortable.  Due to the shape caused by the 19mm rim, you may need slightly higher pressure on the 35mm tyre to maintain stability and prevent pinch flats.

snakebite
    Free Member

30mm PZero’s on 22 mm internal i run at 50psi on my Basso/carbons front and rear, maybe a touch less on the front.

30mm PZeros on 23mm internal exactly the same on my Hunt/carbons

42mm Pathfinders on the gravel bike are about 30psi.

79kg

clubby

28mm Hutchinson Fusion on 20mm internal rims. 75/80 psi

40mm G-One on 22mm internal rims 60psi

Roads round here are awful, any lower and you can feel the rim through potholes. Only one puncture in four years though and that was a slice from metal rubbish on a cycle path that never gets cleaned. I’m 93kg.

Jamz
    Free Member

I run the soft recommendation from this calc:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/tire-pressure-calculator/

MrSalmon
    Free Member

38mm tyres on 700c wheels with an internal width of 22mm. I actually don’t really know what pressures I’m at, but probably comfortably under 40psi.

oceanskipper

So the HECs arrived today and I’ve mounted the 35mm Specialized Mondos on them. Did 20km with the front at 52 and the rear at 55. Pretty comfortable actually. Hopefully that ride will have sealed them up – I did notice that the tyres were unseating themselves when I deflated to get the sealant in. Both front and rear did it – wasn’t a problem getting them seated again as I have a compressor but if I got a full flat while out and they did that I would have to hope that a CO2 re-seated them…. Anyone else experienced that?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.