Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone ridden verbier enduro trails in Switzerland?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone ridden verbier enduro trails in Switzerland?
  • jono878
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the offical enduro trails in Verbier?
    what are the blue trails like? Are they pretty easy not to steep?

Mate has only done a bit of xc in vevey using the tram.

beanum

If you mean the bike park trails that go back down to Verbier then they are pretty steep. They’re not XC by any means so you need to know how to modulate your brakes and how to move your weight around. There are bermed turns and table tops you can roll over, but no gap jumps where you have to leave the ground…
    I’ve done them on a hardtail with 130mm forks with no problems..
    If you’re concerned about your friend’s ability, maybe try the trails from Savoleyres to Le Tzoumaz first. There are red runs in the trees that are pretty steep but the blues are fine…
    hth

nickc

Are they pretty easy not to steep?

Its the alps… Just think a grade up. Their blue is our red, reds in Verbier are mostly hard red with some black features to trails that would be marked black in the UK

I’d suggest: get some switchback training in, get your brakes serviced, and don’t be too proud to say “I’m going to walk this bit”

nickdavies

The enduro trails are pretty mixed. The bike park itself is pretty nails, the blue has got easier in recent years but I would say otherwise it’s a grade up from the French alps, not the uk. The reds are pretty hardcore, they’re definitely on the black side of things. The blacks are mental.

For the enduro think tight swktchbacks, rocky top sections and they open up and get grassy as you get lower. Red number 5 if one of my favourites and a cracking starting point. They’re not hard hard but there are some tricky lines. Some of the top trails are very hard to ride.

Beanums advice is good la tzoumaz side is good but just bear in mind that lift opens weekends only from about mid August.

Kahurangi

I was in Verbier last month, but not sure if what we rode was what you’r calling the ‘Enduro’ tracks. Any maps or guides you’re referring to?

Trailforks has a few tracks, but bear in mind that the Swiss grades go

Blue – Black – Red (double black).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ridden there a few times. The official bike map has 2 reds and 1 black, in terms of “enduro” routes, though none of them has much climbing. They are all well outside of the bike park.

1 red is accessible from Verbier, but dont ride it if it’s wet – limestone cobbles 2/3rds of the way down are lethal. It isnt that good IMO.

Red 5 (as above) is fun, you’ll need to contour round from the park for about 2km to find it, having taken the lift up out of Verbier town. Dont miss the extra singletrack from Sarreyer (spelling?) when you hit the tarmac. I wouldnt say it’s that hard, but it’s continually fairly steep (as in you’ll be on the brakes a lot, at least until Sarreyer).

The black (“Vertigo”) is excellent, if you like switchbacks. If you dont, you’ll hate it. It’s definitely a step or 2 up from Red 5, and also has a fairly nadgery start (from pretty much the same point as Red 5). It also gets you out of the Verbier bowl, for different views.

They’re both probably on Strava.

If the Tzoumaz lift is open, google “Vallon D’Arbi’ for a fairly tech trail over the back of the Verbier bowl, but you’ll be starting with a 15 mins climb / push up to the Col de Mines.

Not sure I’ve answered you’re question though, and I’ve not ridden the blues (could be fireroad?).

nickdavies

Oh and the enduro routes are on the back of the bike park map – you can also rent a Garmin from the tourist info office with it all preloaded. They used to do free guided tours too.

Red 5 you don’t need to make the climb around at the moment, the 2nd part of la chaux express is open so you can get straight up and over to it and descend.

jono878
    Free Member

yep there on the back of the map. Not the bike park dh stuff.

This site has a map and gps routes – Enduro Trails

Intrested in routes, 1,2,3,6,8, and 12 as there meant to be beginner!

I can’t find any videos on them. I know what the grading is like in the french alps which why i thouight i best check. Just don’t want my mate in hosptial! i know theres xc stuff so may end up doing that instead.

Thanks for the info so far!

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

All the best trails aren’t on the dh or enduro maps.

Kahurangi

yep there on the back of the map. Not the bike park dh stuff.

I’ll have a look at the bike park map when I get home and have a more helpful write-up.

Of course not. But you wouldn’t actually be so helpful as to enlighten us then would you?? :roll:

nickdavies

Have you got trailforks? A lot of them are in the trailforks app, that will show you an elevation profile and grading for each one, it will give you an idea. You will find very little online about it, for how good the trails are there there really isn’t much info on them as it doesn’t see a lot of use compared to the French alps.

I need to clean the van out this week when I find the map I’ll see which numbers I’ve done and give you some info. In the verbier area they’re actually pretty good the good trails are mapped. I’ve had a few people moan at me on the cheeky stuff, but you really won’t need to venture off the map to find great riding.

Blue enduros will be mainly fire track and double/single track, not too steep. Expect a few tech bits, but generally won’t be a problem. Start there and as long as your mate can ride a bike you should be ok, just take enough kit to get off the mountain, I’m always amazed when I see someone pushing off with a flat who hasn’t got a tube.

Reds are a step up.. red 20: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/415210/

When googling remember vtt is French for MTb, so verbier vtt enduro gets quite a few hits on YouTube.

singlespeedstu

But you wouldn’t actually be so helpful as to enlighten us then would you??

I’m sure he’d be quite happy to guide you.

chakaping

All I can say is perhaps don’t go and expect an easy start on the bike park red track, as the first run of the day, in the wet.

That was a humbling experience, on a 180mm freeride bike.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yeah, the bike park reds are a step up from some French parks.

Kahurangi

I’m sure he’d be quite happy to guide you.

Fair enough if he’s a guide and that’s his thing. The single line comment was a bit know-it-all though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP you can ride the red enduro trails on a hardtail, my Swiss mate is a natural sportsman but he rode a day with us there on an ancient xc bike with 80mm forks and cantilever brakes, Of course they are fasyer and more fun on a decent FS. As above the bike park is a different story and much tougher than equivalent Morzine/PdS. What I would say is try and get the gpx files into a phone or gps device as its quite hard to follow some of the tracks as the enduro trails are not sign posted. For bike park start with the blue and then maybe try some of the reds, the two at the very top of La Chaux Express are fairly easy – the one with the woodwork is fun and not too hard, the Red Whoay track is great but the wooden roll in is intimidating – maybe not for your xc friend ?

IMO the trails down into La Tzoumaz are a waste of time, the stuff in the main Verbier bowl is the best of the marked stuff. Note the main lift up from Les Chables was closed for maintainence (buses running) and the enduro trails run down the valley floor.

Make sure you do Red 7 (will check number, down from La Chaux to villages near Louturier)

The Black 10 (Jackass) is bloody tough with switchbacks with roots the size of tree trunks. Couple of steep bits but not tooooo bad. Officially Chute du Bisses seems to be off limits but its a great trail cutting off Red under Pierre Avoi (the dome shaped rock above the town). Epic cliff next to the trail

Blue enduro trails are in the most rubbish, a roll down gravel tracks

All the enduro trails are footpaths / tracks

Download SwitzerlandMobility free app for Swiss “OS” maps and switch on walking routes (in green) as many enduro trails use those

Have fun and any other questions let me know. I love the place been going for 25 years, mostly winter of course.

Will check some notes on my computer and the trail map to check I have the right trail numbers (posted from memory)

Kahurangi

So to answer the OP’s question – the only one of the Blue tails I’ve ridden is the bottom of 3, descending toward Champsec. It’s a flat out, fast hoot. The rest of trail no. 3 is double track – the dashed lines on the mamp are pretty clear about doubletrack, the solid lines are the good bits.

In the few days we were there (camping in Champsec) we rode a handful of trails, riding up and doing the odd shuttle in the camper.

In somewhat increasing order of difficulty:

14 (Red Barmasse – Lourtier) EB rode this and was gutted at how boring it was for the elevation lost. Wide walking track with lots of water bars.

15 (Red Six-Blanc – Versegères). Fun. Nothing very hard.

23 & 9 (Red ) leads in to 10.. I was really disappointed by this trail. Narrow, unexciting track with a solitary steep tech section.

7a (Red Attelas – La Chaux) Techy rock garden XC route. leads nicely in to 11

18. (Black Lardzay – Vernay) Well-ridden. Felt like an easy DH course. fairly steep but no nasty drops, no hidden features, good sight-lines and a wide track.

11. (Black La Chaux – Lourtier) Awesome ego-massaging trail bike DH. Almost no super-tight switchbacks but brake burningly fun.

10. (Black Château – Crie) Exposed tech, tight switchbacks. It’s had repair work to the corners meaning front wheel endo corners are mandatory and I was having a bad day on this track (didn’t help I smashed my mech off on the only loose rock in a 10-mile radius).

Also not on the map is the descent from Col des Mines to La Tsoumaz. Excellent in a medium-difficulty Lake District style. Loads of fun.

Also, what Jambalaya says – get the Swiss Mobility app to access topo maps on your phone. You’re almost never without reception and great to double check where you are.

timber

There is some good, mixed ability, variety of riding, some published, some not. The mapped stuff is well waymarked and other loops are easy enough to put together and follow. Keep a close eye out of the gondola for stuff too.

BUT, importantly, there is a really good baguette place just down the main street, steak chips and cheese baguette, mmmmm.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Also not on the map is the descent from Col des Mines to La Tsoumaz. Excellent in a medium-difficulty Lake District style. Loads of fun.

This is Vallon d’Arby. Access from 4×4 track from Medran go past top of Blue about 3/4 of way to restaurant at Croix de Fer – Zig zag climb (150m?) to Col Des Mines is signposted. Ar top turn left at walkers sign Vallon d’Arby. Nice technical traverse with some switxh backs then a road roll into Tzoumaz. You need to check iidtbis running and it tends to shut for an hour at lunch. Once back at top tpu can take Red Enduro under Pierre Avoi either to resort or to valley. This is the access to Chute des Bisse also fyi

jambalaya
    Free Member

Suggested itinerary adjusted for your mate. A bit of a tour not necessarily the very best trails possibly but trying to (mostly ;) ) miss any harder stuff ?

Park in Les Chables lift station. Lift up or replacement bus. Medran lift up again from village.

Ride Bike Park Blue #2 Tspou as a warm up (out from lift and round 4×4 track for a bit)
    Medran up again
    Round 4×4 track past blue to Col des Mines climb, ride Vallon d’Arby to Tzoumaz
    Lift up
    Ride first part of Red 9 (little ridge line section if you want above gravel track) and technical single track traverse and little descent.
    Ignore vtt trail sign back to Verbier (in my photo) and follow towards Cretes de la Madeline then to Chutes du Bisses (enduro map says no go)

Down to Chute des Bisses
    Photo of mates looking over the cliff – we’ve ridden down the ridge

also where spring fills the Bisse (irrigation channel) there is a viewing point :)
    From here take care for walkers and there are a fewer steeper sections – all loamy and you can walk / fall down those (comedy video of my mate who’d lost his mojo, needs Steptoe and Son music)

Eventually this comes to a grassy 4×4 track and you can ride back round to village. Note Black 10 / Jackass cuts right of this track on a corner, from memory there is no sign.
    In village (maybe lunchtime at Fer a Cheval (my favourite in town, bike friendly, good food, view) or Offshore or Baguette place ?) take Medran lift backup and then Chaux Express to do (easy) woodwork on Bike Park Red 6
    Then link to Red 5 to valley floor – very cool trail which you should all enjoy (photo by small chalets, cloudy day but usually very nice view of snow capped Petit Combin).

Once in Sarreyer village by church follow trail across field fast fun on tracks through woods and a bit of road pedalling to Les Chables. This is all enduro 5.
    Back up Chables and Medran for probably last run down back to valley.
    You could do a bike park trail Red Wouaiy (Bike Park Red 4) if you feel up to it, wooden roll in is hardest part or you can pass your mate his bike down ?
    If you stop for a final beer in Fer au Cheval you can take road next to it (route Medieres) for Blue trail (pretty easy to take it slowly) and follow your nose to pick up singletrack past small Chapel and then roads back to Les Chables. There is a bike friendly bar in Les Chables too, I forget the name.

There are some nice restaurants around the loop (or slight deviations) for a drink or something to eat

Chez Danny at Clambin off Bike Park 4 – my favourite mountain side place
    La Marlenaz (Red enduro 9)

bruneep

This is true, only used the blue twice this week and that was just to get to a lower level.

Been at BV all week and it’s been fantastic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bunreep lucky you 8)

BV always used to ride Red 5 and Black 10 (Jackass) and 11? (Vertigo), use Red 9 a bit to get to Chute des Bisse and Ultimate, hike a bike over the ridge

singlespeedstu

Been at BV all week and it’s been fantastic.

Say hello to Jonas and Nicky for me.
    Oh and tell Phil he might need to extend his trailer to get my new bike to fit on it. :lol:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Le Chable lift running now and Tzoumaz daily until Aug 20th then just the following weekend. Tzoumaz lunch hour is 12:30 to 13:30

http://www.verbierbikepark.ch/horaires_fr.php

bruneep

We got caught out with the lift closing for lunch at Tzoumaz yesterday ended up at pizza place opposite lift and had the world’s largest salad.

Big day out today

singlespeedstu

Just found this out from 7 years ago. :lol:
    Vallon D’ardy descent.

Tracey

Only been home a few days and missing it already.

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.verbinet.com/item_files/plan_downhill.pdf

Not sure if this will work, taken from the cable car

I think it is red6 Fontanet to Les Runettes

The only one i have done is the Blue Tsupo, which is NOTHING like the blues in south wales! I did it on a Superfly and i hate downhills, so doing myself no favours.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stunning photo @bunreep, jealous.

@mrmo yes trail park red 6 I suggested it as part of my itinery.

@singlespeed I think I am one of your (very few ;) ) channel subscribers !

jono878
    Free Member

Thanks for all the information ! The blue tracks should be a good starting point even though it’s just mainly fire road. Hopefully will get on some red tracks.will see.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Marking this for next year

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Jono, no fireroads on the blue, I think you mean the green.

pauldoherty1981
    Free Member

Hi jono,

Yes I’ve road almost all the official and few non official Enduro trails in Verbier. I am a local guide up there. There are lots of variation of trails up in the Verbier bowl. As the guys above stated Vallin Darbi off the back of Col Dr Mines is quite good and rock tech but not steep. My favourites are Chez Danny which is a trail that goes from the Chez Danny restaurant. It has a few switchbacks but not as tight as some in Verbier but really good fun. It’s hard to explain but this trail drops you lower down onto another trail near a small church before descending down to le chable lift station. For me all the best stuff is on the Bruson side across the valley. A great days ride is Col de Mills, typical alpine trail first half then the trail heads into the forest and gets a lot quicker and fun. Best thing to do is try buy a detailed map of the Verbier area. This way you can see all the trails much more clearly. Then go onto likes of trailfoks etc and use a highlighter and Mark the trails on your map.

I also have a Mountain biking holiday company if you want to check out any info that might help.

https://www.valaismtb.com

Thanks and best of luck with your trip

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden verbier enduro trails in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.