Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone not bothered to send their old licence back to the DVLA?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone not bothered to send their old licence back to the DVLA?
    gobuchul
    Free Member

Just renewed my drivers licence.

You are instructed to cut your old in half and post back to the DVLA.

I can’t believe they keep a check on this.

Anyone not bothered to send the old back to them?

Seems a waste of stamp, envelope and time to me.

oldfart

I’ve still got a paper one 👍1973 vintage ( I think) I consider it an historical document😋so will intend keeping it if I can  😬have to renew it in 2025 when I reach 70 😳apparently 😞

MadBillMcMad

Being a good citizen we literally did this yesterday.

oldnpastit

It’s on my todo list, where it’s been stuck for the past year or so. They’ve not caught up with me yet, but I think it’s only a matter of time before serious, heavily armed men dressed in black start descending in helicopters into my garden at 2am.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Think mine got lost in the post

MSP

They’ve not caught up with me yet, but I think it’s only a matter of time before serious, heavily armed men dressed in black start descending in helicopters into my garden at 2am.

That could happen whether you send it back or not as iirc Fujitsu do the dvla IT.

jimw
    Free Member

I forgot last time, and then managed to take the old one to the garage when borrowing a car whilst mine was being serviced. Embarrassing and involved a three hour wander around town while the work was done- they were good about doing it straight away.

I had suggested that they could use the online check to see that I did have a current license but no..

Simon

Passed my test in 91, only got a photocard license a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been holding off getting one but my paper license was falling to bits.

jeffl

Still got my last two. Not had the Feds busting my front door down yet.

I did have to send them my paper version when I first got a plastic one as I’d changed address as well. Never got that back.

irc
    Free Member

Cut my last one in two. Stuck it in envelope addressed to DVLA. Then lost it. Lost in post if they ever ask.

DickBarton

Renewed every 3 years…I can’t remember if I send it back or not, but I don’t know where I’d keep it. I’m assuming I do send them back…maybe even as part of the renewal process. I reckon it is just to laugh at the picture of me!

alric
    Free Member

i probably have a drawer full of old licences somewhere that i forgot about

Northwind

I kept my old one, it’s been handy sometimes. There is no checkup/followup process but if there were, it was “lost in post”.

somafunk

Renewed my licence last year and stuck it in drawer,  previous licence still in drawer next to it

simondbarnes

Can we do this again in November to remind me that mine runs out in December please? Ta!

Phil_H

Renewed mine at the post office, they kept the old one and cut it up.

CountZero

I’ve still got a paper one 👍1973 vintage ( I think) I consider it an historical document😋so will intend keeping it if I can  😬have to renew it in 2025 when I reach 70 😳apparently 😞

Somewhere in a drawer I’ve got my original driver’s licence, a little red book with card covers. My paper one went back, but it was barely holding together and I had an opportunity to get one of the first plastic photo cards, which has proved to be a much more useful form of ID.

My current license is due to be renewed in July, when I hit 70, so hopefully the replacement has a much better photo on it than the shonky barely visible one I have currently…

dudeofdoom

Meh, still waiting for Spanish visa to be sorted so I can exchange my U.K. one for a Spanish one so I can actually drive again :-(

Nearly 5 months of not being able to(yet again).

I’m not really bitter and twisted over Brexit but good grief Charlie Brown some of the needless pain would test the patience of a saint :-)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Didn’t send mine back no one cared. It’s not like a passport.

I was concerned about them removing extra entitlements as I had seen in my peers.

Then when I confirmed new was same as old I cut it in half and binned it

Caher

I handed mine to the postman before he was arrested. Also supposed to send my Swiss one back and still have it..they usually do hunt you down.

MrOvershoot

I still only have the paper one! I still live at the same address as I did 28 years ago and I’ve not been caught for anything “yet”

Slightly worried that if I swap it for a photo licence I’ll loose my class 1 PSV and motorbike as a friend did!

oldtennisshoes

It’s waste in the process.

if it was necessary they’d insist on it before issuing a new one like a passport.

piss poor service design and product management

tagnut69
    Free Member

I have forgotten to send the last 3 or 4, but they have found their way in to various saddle bags on my bikes. Atleast the plod will have a name to go with the body should i drip down when out and about

alpin
    Free Member

exchange my U.K. one for a Spanish one so I can actually drive again 🙁

Had to change mine to a German one after brexit, or rather after getting German citizenship. Turned out I should have done it sometime around 2008. After six months living elsewhere you should exchange it for a licence of your country of residence. Had been stopped several times prior to swapping it for a German one and didn’t have a problem. In fact, it worked to my advantage because when I got caught driving with THC in my system the German authorities couldn’t take away my UK licence, but only ban me from driving on German soil.

Cougar

When we moved house together, my partner and I had to notify DVLA of change of address. She made a big deal of how important it was to send in the old licence. I being me ignored it, I figured it might be handy to have proof of both addresses. Nothing happened, they’re both in my wallet.

slowoldman

Ah, thanks for reminding me.

Flaperon

Never. I keep an expired one on me for occasional ID reasons without needing to worry about losing the current version.

Sandwich

Like @MrOvershoot I still have a valid paper one (9 years left on it). Will copy this one before gettng the photocard to deal with the eventual cock-up when the new card doesn’t show motorbike, minibus and 7.5tonne hgv entitlements.

I’m unlikely to drive after 70 as I suspect reaction times and increased traffic will make it a high risk activity but the card will be a useful ID

breninbeener

You can check your licence status on the gov website.

So you can get a record from there. I wouldnt be overly worried, it took them 7 months and the intervention of my MP to fet mine returned afrer a medical surrender.

daveylad
    Free Member

Old pink paper one is still valid for another 20+ years and I’ll keep it till then.

None of this renew it for money every x amount of years for me thanks.

j4mie
    Free Member

I renew every three years (so no fee luckily) and don’t  think I’ve ever remembered to send the old one back.

kelvin

Same as tagnut, my old one is in my cycling wallet for losable ID.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 with different addresses on I think. No real idea where any of them are tbh (been done for speeding recently so now stressing that they’ve not sent the up to date one back actually 😳)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.