• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by mashr.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone modified a MoCo damper?
  • Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Hey Chaps,

Has anyone done anything to modify their MoCo damper? I’m gonna pop some 2.5wt in my mates Yari to get the oil moving a bit faster, and make the HSC lighter.

Has anyone here reshimmed one? Had a quick look around and couldnt see any blogs or guides on anyone that had.

Cheers!

Ricks

Premier Icon mashr
    Subscriber

You should be able to do something, unfortunately I don’t know what. What I do know is that 32mm Boxxers didn’t suffer from the same issue. Admittedly Team and World Cup versions had a “Floodgate” but the Races didn’t and they were still better than a Yari. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that RS deliberately hobbled the Yari

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Just found an exploded view – no shim stack for compression, so it’s just the plastic spring. You can reshim the rebound, but it looks fairly pointless as the rebound actually works fine.

I could port the push-rod compression hole, but will have the same affect as lowering the oil viscosity. So think I’ll just pop some 2.5wt in.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I was told the oil would make a small difference but probably not actually a game changer.

Best option are a charger damper to drop in and throw out all of the moco stuff including the rebound rod. Or you can look at Fast / Novyparts uprated compression assemblies. They keep the same rebound I believe – but in particular the Fast Yari up gives you loads of compression adjustments.

I went for a charger 2 damper in my Yari as the 2.1 wasn’t out at that point. That, along with the 2019 Debonair spring massively improved the fork.

Premier Icon Gunz
    Subscriber

I modified my Revelation by ditching the Moco rubbish and replacing with Charger and Debonair. I’m with Mashr, I reckon RS knew the compression damping wasn’t fit for task, I’ve never known them to bring out backwards compatible upgrades so quickly.

devash

I owned a MoCo Reba once. It was by far the worst fork I’ve ever owned. I’d be upgrading the damper altogether.

mjsmke

Changed the oil for 2.5wt a while back which did make a noticable difference.

Is it not possible to drill out the holes at the bottom of the damper to widen them? Always run mine with the compression wide open and feel like it’s not open enough.

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

The Yari on my Slash 8 works pretty well to be honest. It’s far better than the older Yari I had a few years ago, but I suspect that’s down to the newer Debonair spring.

I am looking to upgrade the damper eventually, but not made my mind up about which way to go.

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

MRP Ramp Control made the Yari really nice to ride.

mjsmke

The ramp control is just an adjustable token. The main problem with the Yari is the Compression.

Onzadog

Saw a YouTube video where a chap had made a shim that can be used to open the floodgate.

I think there was a link to the 3d printing file. Would anyone here know what to do with that?

The other option I keep looking at is the Novyparts Splug. Not tried one yet though.

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Is it not possible to drill out the holes at the bottom of the damper to widen them? Always run mine with the compression wide open and feel like it’s not open enough.

Yeah, that’s what I meant by porting the damper.

I’ll have a look, as I reckon that’s the only option with the MoCo damper looking at how it’s designed – other than replacing the plastic spring with a softer plastic so it can deform more – but it really feels like a poor design.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Novyparts Splug. Not tried one yet though.

I have the splug, dead easy to fit & definite improvement, especially as I’m no lightweight!
    Also got luftkappe (& its not debonair)

I’d say it’s still not quite as good on the really fast rough descents as my old charger /luftkappe pike, even tho it tracks better

Onzadog

Limbers, be really interested in more detail on that if you could. In theory, adding the Splug would make it like the old manitou dpc which was well regarded.

Do Novy offer much help afterwards to resign the compression?

Onzadog

Bloody autocorrect. kimbers and reshim.

The best option by far is to drop in a Charger 2.1. I got one from the Germans for £150.

Every other option is either not worth it or more expensive for no additional gains.

JP

Premier Icon mashr
    Subscriber

The Yari on my Slash 8 works pretty well to be honest. It’s far better than the older Yari I had a few years ago, but I suspect that’s down to the newer Debonair spring.

Is that because the new one also has a Charger damper now?

Onzadog

Charger 2.1 for the wife’s 29er revelation boost is €260 and out of stock.

Don’t some Yari and Revelation forks for OEM have the charger RC damper? A spring backed ifp like the rhythm dampers in fox?

poah

I set my lad’s SID RCT3 off to J-tech and they did a good job tuning it.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

@Onzadog

The splug only has LSC, I think 28 ‘clicks’ – quite hard to detect them, you need to do 4 at a time to notice a change, but worth persevering.
    This side of it is great, grip & support are ace.

HSC is just a bit too firm on mine, has to be reshimmed by novy, but u have to send it back & I’m too lazy ! I put lower weight oil & that helped, but I’d still like it lighter.
    It just costs postage, but I’m tight/lazy

Onzadog

Cheers. I’m wondering if a Yari with an Splug might be better than a lyric with a bit of effort.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

TBF, I’m a bit of a porker & lack finesse

If splug had user tuneable HSC id give it 5* review, rather than 4 !

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

Well, I ended up swapping in an RCT3 Charger 2 damper for my mate today. It feels noticeably nicer than the MoCo

Onzadog

Cheers Poah,
    looks a lot like the Splug but and extra £80 for adjustable mid valve.

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

@mashr

I’m pretty certain mine came with moco, not charger. I thought the Lyrik Select was the entry level charger fork?

For the ease of it, I’ll probably end up with a charger damper in mine when I give it a good service.

Premier Icon mashr
    Subscriber

Select has a Charger RC

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.