Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Anyone heard of “the bicycle company UK” is it dodgy?
  • damascus
    Free Member

Doing a bit of Google shopping and came across a specialized diverge carbon bike with 105 at an unbelievable price. £1,993.76 reduced to £1,654.82 Save 17%. Wow, a bike sale in 2021 I thought.

https://www.thebicyclecompanyuk.com/gb/road-bikes/38-159-specialized-diverge-sport-carbon-105-gravel-roadbike-2020-gloss-carbonrocket-red-crimson-camo-7421097198907.html#/89-size-61cm

Did a bit more googling to find out about the shop as I’ve never heard of them and in “about us” found a tbc10 discount code that gives you 10% discount.

Seeing if it works, I add it to the basket and it pops up with “advertise 30” for more discount. Both discounts stack.

The 0ld “if its too good to be true” message ringing in my ears. Has someone cloaned a Website? Every bike is discounted. Is this a massive fraud? Or just a terrible bit of programming?

Any ideas?

tomhoward

If you have to ask…

garethjw

I liked the sound of those discounts, but a quick google led me to this:
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11555732/filing-history

Looks like a defunct company being used by fraudsters. Boo!

damascus
    Free Member

If you have to ask…

I have no intention of buying it but I didn’t want to report a genuine website and company just because they have bad IT skills.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Given they offer the expert in oak green which isn’t even available in the UK, I smell a rat.

dave661350

Discussed on another forum, Scammers. The picture they use is a google streetview image of a building firm, PGR Group.

russianbob
    Free Member

And their premises are actually the premises of the PGR Group which still list that address as their head quarters and is confirmed by google street view. Steer clear.

frankconway

Here’s the actual building they claim to operate from; someone’s been busy with photoshop!

https://earth.google.com/web/search/6+The+Old+Quarry,+Oundle,+Peterborough/@52.48036021,-0.45898492,27.88059883a,0d,60y,206.95034336h,85t,0r/data=CpEBGmcSYQolMHg0ODc3OTNiNzFmNmFmYzQzOjB4NjY3MTFmYzIxOTE2NjIxORl-fWO-cj1KQCHltRK6S2LdvyomNiBUaGUgT2xkIFF1YXJyeSwgT3VuZGxlLCBQZXRlcmJvcm91Z2gYASABIiYKJAkyGOUnFKk6QBE1GOUnFKk6wBloB6W0j_02QCGeYtlfzKBVwCIaChZESXJqWERDV3lGd3ZqQ0VfMkhETFlREAI

Their fb page has no history before mid May this year; another bike they claim to have in stock also shows 17% discount.
    This, I think, is one for trading standards; maybe more serious – fraudulent misrepresentation.

damascus
    Free Member

I think, is one for trading standards; maybe more serious – fraudulent misrepresentation.

Has it been reported already?

frankconway

Don’t know – but it should be.
    Rory canning is listed as one of the directors of this ‘company’ in Peterborough.
    There could be more than one person of that name in Peterborough but if you google ‘Rory canning Peterborough’ the only result contains no reference to bikes.
    Yes, I’m bored…

rickon
    Free Member

Their ‘About Us’ is actually copy and pasted from Tredz:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/tredz-bikes

Check it out on LinkedIn.

ossify

Well that was mildly entertaining.

I noticed their web chat was open so asked “Hi do you sell city bikes?” (this is at 1.45am)

“William V.” came on and said “Yes”

A few somewhat thick questions from me were ignored entirely until I asked if the shop was open and could I pop round now… he instantly came back that I was in Manchester! Then got really stroppy about my email (“Your email is example@example.com and you think that you may get any answers from us?”) and IP blocked me 😀
    Unfortunately that only worked if I refreshed the page which he unsuccessfully tried to get me to do (cos I is a bit thick and didn’t know what he meant). Then he just left the chat. Boo. I guess 2am is closing time.

Accessing the site through a proxy worked for a few minutes (sadly no chat available for some reason) until that was blocked.
    A different proxy worked for a few more minutes, however now all attempts to get there see me redirected to https://thebikecompany.co.uk, which seems entirely unrelated.

russianbob
    Free Member

They’ve now changed their address to an actual bike shop address in Richmond. Very out of order.

russianbob
    Free Member

And they’ve changed their VAT number to that of the same shop.

ossify

Here’s the real website of that shop: https://www.bicyclerichmond.co.uk

leffeboy

That is a completely amazing fake site.  I can imagine most people would be taken in.  The main clue is that they are too cheap and if they had been a little less aggressive in pricing they would probably hook more people in :(.  You would think there would be a lot of internet shouting about it as well but at the moment just a few discussions.  The best seems to be on reddit so far

Did anyone try this bike company? Seems like a scam? : ukbike (reddit.com)

richmtb

Yeah I had a look and its a pretty impressive fake site.

I think we should do a mass trolling of their online chat

damascus
    Free Member

How do we close it down?

mboy
    Free Member

They’re advertising Canyons, and Ribbles, and Vitus’ on that site… 😂😂😂

Yeah… If you have to ask! 😂

jimdubleyou

If anybody has got the time or energy, the domain is registered by namecheap.com

You can submit an abuse report to them

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9196/5/how-and-where-can-i-file-abuse-complaints/

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have reported the site to Action Fraud. Hopefully it will be shut down before any poor sod looses any money to this lot.

damascus
    Free Member
    monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ive messaged canyon and Ribble to advise them that they are advertising their bikes.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Message from Canyon UK – “Many thanks for taking the time to make us aware……we shall monitor this as we believe this is a fraudulent website”

richmtb

Well “William V” and “Steve Peat” (me!) just had a nice online chat

ME: Hi I’m interested in a Canyon Spectral:ON
    Them: Hi Steve, what size
    Me: Large
    Them: Yes, Large size is in stock and ready to be delivered. You’re welcome to submit your order anytime.
    Me: Thanks, good to know
    how do you have stock of these I though Canyon was direct only
    Them: Yes we have them in stock
    Me: What’s the lead time
    Them: We normally ship in 5 days
    Me: So you have it in stock with yourselves, you aren’t ordering from Canyon?
    Them: Yes we have them in stock
    Me: Great, sorry for all the questions, the price and availability just seem to good to be true.
    Me: I’m just worried its a scam because some of the images on your website look like they were taken from Google Streetview and photoshopped.

Me: William are you still there?

😀 😀

JAG

Why oh Why have I only just found this thread!!

Yesterday I ordered and paid for a Nukeproof Reactor off that f#cking website aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

how did you pay jag? If you can get your £££ through your bank or CC great. PM me and I can give you the action fraud ref if you need it

JAG

I paid via a VISA Debit card… :o(

martymac

Ooft, sore one.
    Are you sure you’re not covered by the bank?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

PM’d you

martymac

Just checked the website out, it’s very convincing.
    Every bike having almost the same discount percentage (17-22%) and 3-5 reviews (100% positive) on almost every popular bike.
    Quite a few reviews call them TBC uk, that would make me a bit suspicious tbh, likewise every reviewer using perfect english, that doesn’t happen IRL.
    But otherwise, I can see how people would be taken in by that.

JAG

I’ve just reported the website via Action Fraud and I’m trying to get hold of my bank (TSB).

Their online chat system is useless :o(

I’ll have to call them!!

JAG

An update; I’ve spoken to TSB and they’re saying that until the bike ‘doesn’t’ arrive there is no fraud. IF the bike doesn’t arrive then I can open a ‘dispute’ with the seller via TSB and there is every chance I will get a full refund.

However – I have just received an ‘update’ email from “Thebicyclecompanyuk.com” saying that my bike is in transit!

I’m confused yet hopeful, maybe it will arrive?

martymac

Well i hope it arrives mate, but if it doesn’t, at least you’re probably not gonna be out of pocket.

richmtb

Best of luck JAG, but I think there is more chance of me actually being Steve Peat than a shiny new Nukeproof turning up at your door.

EDIT

Does your “in transit” bike have a tracking number?

soundninjauk

I tried their online chat because I wanted to discuss popping down to the ‘shop’. Apparently they’re asleep right now which seems to be very lazy on their part.

JAG

I have got an order number but no tracking number.

I’ve followed the order number through to the website and it shows my order. With all the correct details; Nukeproof Reactor 275, colour, price, delivery address, discount applied, shipping costs etc…

It even lists a parcel weight as 18kg which would be about right. The bike should be 14.6kg and I know from recent experience that a bike box weighs about 3kg so it sort of adds up.

Maybe I’m deluding myself, hoping against all reason, but keep your fingers crossed and I’ll let you know when anything changes!

leffeboy

It’s amazing really as it smells like a scam but in every other way behaves like a very genuine site. If you didn’t know that Canyon was direct only and you like a deal then it’s very easy to be dragged in.  I can’t imagine they will stay up very long so I wonder if the deal is to just be able to keep the site up for a month while the bikes are ‘in transit’

Do they sell Sick bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Anyone heard of “the bicycle company UK” is it dodgy?’ is closed to new replies.