Home Forums Chat Forum Anyone else hate Christmas as much as me?

• This topic has 55 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone else hate Christmas as much as me?
  • mintimperial

I hate xmas. I have to pretend to tolerate it at the moment due to having a 7yo son, but once he’s grown up I’m going to spend the whole of December in a cave in Nepal or something.

kimbers

Slowboydickie has it right it’s a festival to celebrate the midwinter solstice, the days are getting longer and warmer from now on. We’ve been doing it for millennia.
    Yeah its been subverted by Christians and now capitalists and its easy to get sucked in to spending on all the crap
    But I’m lucky, I like my family and even my in-laws I like making them happy and I love seeing my kids excited, I like cooking, eating lots of food and getting pissed, Ive got time off ! watched proper star wars with my son yesterday for the 1st time, we’re watching empire tomorrow then Jedi, then I’m off to see the new one on nye
    Had to do a click and collect from Argos on weds, nearest place to get a bb8 toy was a junction away down the motorway…. So obviously I turned it into a 50k trek on my hardtail, through some very boggy bridleways, but smugly enjoyed the looks I got at the retail park when I turned up plastered in mud…
    I’m blessed with fully functioning sanitation systems so that aside, just make the most of it, a holiday is a brilliant idea, oh and…..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I work in retail and we are preping for Christmas in July. Can’t stand it. If it wasn’t for the shops and the relentless advertising campaigns then it would pass most of us by. I always feel like a fraud as I don’t attend church but I am expected to celebrate Christmas. Does not compute.

kimbers

I always feel like a fraud as I don’t attend church but I am expected to celebrate Christmas. Does not compute.

We’ve been celebrating the solstices since long before Christianity came along, today’s orgy of consumerism, Santa Claus from coca cola, turkey from the native american tribes, xmas crackers, Xmas trees from the Victorians, bond films, Morecambe and wise,clubbing on NYE – its got nothing to do with the church.

mboy
    Free Member

I work in retail and we are preping for Christmas in July.

So do I… Own my own LBS… Happy to say that Christmas barely registers on the conscious of most of my customers (we’re not selling tonnes of sub £100 kids bikes put it that way), so I can get away with barely even having to talk about Christmas at work much less having to prepare for it!

If I’m going to have an enforced week day off though, all I ask is that I can enjoy a bike ride and a stress free day… Neither of which were acheived in the slightest, though at least the GF came to the rescue on the grub front…

Philby

I’m another who’s been in the dislike Christmas camp for decades, and since my Mum died a couple of years ago it’s been worse as I have no other close relatives and am currently single, so was looking to spend the day on my own.

However I’ve had the most wonderful Christmas Day today! I work for a largish charity that happens to own a farm, so I asked the farm manager whether they would like any help on Christmas Day, and have spent the day feeding and mucking out pigs and horses, egg collecting, checking on the cows and lambs, and best of all driving the Massey Ferguson tractor. Came home covered in mud with a big smile on my face, and just about managed to cook some food before falling asleep in front of the TV :D

If I’m still working at same charity next year, I will hopefully do the same.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve had two sessions in the human soup hot tub. One at 9.15 am with the lovely mrs ws and a bottle of champagne. Managed to cook dinner for 11 who were all fed. Back in the human soup with adults only after I re chlorinated it from the kids earlier, me and the Bro in law who subsequently is one of my best mates did a 2hr stint talking bollox and I’m still up now finally solo listening to a few tunes. It’s gone 2am and it’s the first time I’ve posted in here today/yesterday so it must’ve been a great day.
    Love you all x

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some times its all about what you make of it, unrealistic expectations and a strange obsession with tradition or making it like when you were a kid will never end that we’ll.

This year was the first one without any kind of family around me. Went round a mates house had morning on the bike and a decent bbq with a bunch of beers over the course of the afternoon.

No excess consumerism, no adhering to crap traditions and no stress. I like the fact it was quiet and most people had a day off to catch up with friends and family.

Murray

Good for you mikewsmith but sadly not everyone has that much choice. The family and societal pressures are too much for me, hence the angst.

toby1

I don’t get over excited by it, but it trends to be a family gathering, with my wife’s family and a big meal. We take it in turns to host and cook, there’s no real stress and everyone gets on well. So I guess that must be part of the miracle. 11 of us for dinner on Christmas eve and it all went smoothly.

Everyone had their own reasons for the live or hate of it, but trying not to kill it for others is probably the most important part.

Drac

It’s ace.

I was unblocking drains on xmas eve but can’t say it ruined it ruined anything.

mboy
    Free Member

However I’ve had the most wonderful Christmas Day today! I work for a largish charity that happens to own a farm, so I asked the farm manager whether they would like any help on Christmas Day, and have spent the day feeding and mucking out pigs and horses, egg collecting, checking on the cows and lambs, and best of all driving the Massey Ferguson tractor. Came home covered in mud with a big smile on my face, and just about managed to cook some food before falling asleep in front of the TV

Great stuff! Went to bed last night thinking about something similar for next year maybe… I’d happily work Christmas Day, but as I own a shop it would be pointless. So maybe volunteering is the way to go, and on a farm would definitely be fun!

Fortunately the drain saga has now ended… Severn Trent came round this morning, found a blockage down the line, cleared it and cleared our drain and all the neighbours out too, and cos it wasn’t our fault, it was done for free! Can afford to keep that Garmin Watch I bought myself after all… Great start to Boxing Day morning, which I’m always pretty cheery on as it’s as far away from the next Christmas as you can get!

Even going to brave the Boxing Day sales for a bit today, GF wants some boots and I need a DVD player, feeling ready and not going to let it break me!

Drac

Boxing Day sales, no wonder you hate Christmas.

yetidave
    Free Member

Wife stressed about everything making her very hard to live with. Kids going mental, in laws and my folks to stay and eat and wind children up even more, then get told to go shopping on boxing day!?! The week is planned out with visits to people I don’t like much no time for a ride of any sort. Bar blooming humbug.(hope she doesn’t read this sounds bad when read back over) :roll:

P-Jay
    Free Member

Happy to report Christmas is DONE in our house. The kids new stuff is stowed away in its new home, I’ve just binned the last scrap of “Christmas Food” in the food recycling bin thing and whilst the tree is still up, it’s bald again. I can’t wait to get my arse to the gym or out on my bike – whichever is opportune first. I don’t think I’ve managed to put on two stone in 48 hours like some daft people but it feels like my entire digestive track is jammed with red meat and cheese. I need some fresh air, to get my blood going again, but mostly a poo.

The last job is to sort out my Wife’s gift, yes she liked it, yes it was perfect bar one tiny, weeny detail – it was EXACTLY the same thing I bought her last year. It’s seems that due to our new daughter not sleeping last Xmas I have no memory of Xmas 2014 whatsoever so when I saw the pricy bracket online it rang a bell as the thing she had been dropping hints about and just forgot is bought it already – 12 month before!

Drac

Still going strong here just finishing a last drink of the day since 10am this morning and a few snacks. Then off to bed as tomorrow is Star Wars, then back for more fine food and drink.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else hate Christmas as much as me?’ is closed to new replies.