Home Forums Bike Forum any tires under 2.1 wide that wont puncture so easy?

• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by FLV.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any tires under 2.1 wide that wont puncture so easy?
  • samcamsdad

I usualy run 2.35 double ply high rollers, but they seem to rub the inside of my chainstays. I cant find a decent tire that will fit in my frame and not flat at the first sight of lakeland rock. any recomendations please?

Oh and i tried tubeless, (crossmarks)still flat, and a right bitch to get off the rim.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Is it pinchflats (snakebites) you’re getting then?

samcamsdad

Aye, snakebites are the problem.

Northwind

Just to ask the obvious question, how low is your tyre pressure?

samcamsdad

usualy run between 35 to 40 psi in the dry, bit less in the wet and mud.

starsh78
    Free Member

blimey I run 50-60 at their softest

samcamsdad

I thought 40 was quite hard. Gotta have some grip!

TomZesty

Panaracrer xc pros 2.1s? They come in skinny for a 2.1 (more like 2.0 by other makes) and I’ve never flatted one running them about 40psi.

james
    Free Member

How true is your wheel, how tight are the spokes, could you offset the wheel to counteract the wheel hitting the stay under load? (is this anything like what is happening?)

Not being able to fit a 2.35″ maxxis sounds like the frame is awfully tight? There are other (maxxis) 2.1″ tyres as big

Also, what rims are you using?
    Anything particularly narrow or which hold onto loads of tyre bead/wall making the inflated tyre take on a forced shape, one that might not be very good at resisting snakebites?

samcamsdad

Thats not a bad idea james, ill look in to offseting the wheel slightly. the rim is straight, and it only rubs under loads, or hard cornering.
    the frame is an ironhorse mk 3 trail with dw link, so there is not alot of space for wide tires.

james
    Free Member

What tyres did mk3 trails come fitted with as complete bikes?

Also, is your pump guage working?
    I know my topeak mountain morph reads about 40psi when its actually about 20psi going by various trackpumps/compressors

samcamsdad

I got it frame only. think the pump is fine, although ill check it.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

My Lakeland experience has given me trust in Maxxis Ignitors. I have run them on a 26″ and 29″ bike and found them to be pretty robust.

I run them at about 30 – 35 psi (tubeless) and am just under 12 stone.

FLV
    Free Member

did you try LUST crossmarks? in what size?

I think the LUST xc tyres are thinner sidewalls than fr LUST tyres.

try a high roller LUST 2.35, not massive tyres and have thickish and quite protected ( not overly round) sidewalls.
    also Ardent LUST 2.25 have hefty sidewalls.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any tires under 2.1 wide that wont puncture so easy?’ is closed to new replies.